How would you rate episode 309?

Ran

How would you rate episode 308?  

1,332 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am afraid this is my least favorite episode, not because of the massacre, but the way it was handled. For those who did not read the books, I can see how shocking it was, and I understand how they would feel.

On the other hand, I did not see one Frey die during the red wedding (Lord Frey's wife doesn't count.). Graywind took out at least three as I recall. And the Umber that was present during the wedding was not taken meekly. The producer of this series makes such scenes too one sided in my view, and truth be told, people do fight back, and the bad guys take some serious losses that they are not too happy about.

So, my problem with the television series is the portrayal of characters in terms of black and white while the books make them many shades of gray.

I rated this episode as a '3'.

• 4 weeks later...

I am afraid this is my least favorite episode, not because of the massacre, but the way it was handled. For those who did not read the books, I can see how shocking it was, and I understand how they would feel.

On the other hand, I did not see one Frey die during the red wedding (Lord Frey's wife doesn't count.). Graywind took out at least three as I recall. And the Umber that was present during the wedding was not taken meekly. The producer of this series makes such scenes too one sided in my view, and truth be told, people do fight back, and the bad guys take some serious losses that they are not too happy about.

So, my problem with the television series is the portrayal of characters in terms of black and white while the books make them many shades of gray.

I rated this episode as a '3'.

I think D&D are doing a pretty good job trying to get that morally ambiguous 'gray' feeling across. in Ep310 Tywin admits that the Red Wedding was brutal, but asks 'would you rather 1000s on the battlefield or a dozen at dinner?' Also, Stannis - is he good or bad in the TV series? The public have their favourites, but I think D&D are doing their best, bearing in mind HBO want to keep ratings high enough to earn back their significant investment in producing the show.

• 2 months later...

I think the Internet has spoken and overall, it was extremely moving. They really did put the emphasis on Walder's misogyny (by first insulting Robb's wife, then joking about his daughter, having the pregant mother stabbed, and finally not caring about his own wie at all, which also makes him a huge hypocrite, knowing that supposedly this all happened because Robb did not marry one of his daughters about whom he clearly does not care one bit). I liked that we were first shown what guest right was instead of having mr. exposition comein and tell us all about it and the significance of it was revealed in episode 10 by Bran anyway so well-done. It'll make for a great rewatch knowing all the détails now.

I think the way this wedding was adapted was entirely intentional because Tyrion's wedding, while being awkward ended in as happy a way as possible given the circumstances, whereas here they played the RW as a much more enjoyable affair at the beginning but with as bad an outcome as one can imagine. It's a nice contrast and in an episode that jumps around to different characters, if you buld up tension at the wdding, it's forgotten about by the audience once you switch over to a different character and if they'd staged the whole episode at teh Twins people would have thought something was up so in that sense it's a great adaptation of these events. Having Robb and his men and direwolf not fight back seemled also to be a way for them to take away the viewers' hope that much more effectively because they are killed whilst being completely helpless, which adds to the sympathy we feel for them as characters and the episode clearly did not want us to feem that there was any upside to this, which even the book did not do because there at least we were told that the Northmen defended themselves valiantly but clearly the feeling of hopelessness is more important here, which I have no problem with at all. I wonder if the Talisa stabbing was a nod to Dacey Mormont's death by axe in the belly or not?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
On 6/2/2013 at 7:05 PM, Ran said:

What'd you think?

Pretty good, but I had one nitpick: why did Robb bring Talisa to the wedding? I can understand from a production/storytelling perspective, but from an in-universe perspective... no. I admit I would have liked Talisa to stay alive, that there's something of Robb left somewhere, if the White Walkers don't come in 15 years, but I understood why she was killed off.

• 4 months later...