[book spoilers]What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions.

Watched the episode ten minutes ago with my friend... Even though I had read the books and knew what was coming, it hit pretty hard. But my friend didn't bat an eye, which pissed me off. He told me I'm taking it too seriously! Good to know some people felt something for Cat, Robb and his men.

I was talking to a guy on a trip who had never read the books but is a huge fan of the show. I think it was a few days after the last episode of season 3 had ended. We were discussing what could happen to the Stark kids, and I said that Sansa will probably play an important role in the future, but he wasn't convinced. I used the example of Dany to show him how characters can grow, but he said that Dany was a strong character from the beginning. His favorite character was Bran who he said is a God!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I've read the books last autumn , these days my father watches the show , so now that he was in this episode , i decided to watch it with him. Well he was shocked as he told me and he doesn't know who he's gonna support now...Well, the show actually made it more dramatic than it was in the book , well i din't like the fact that Robb's wife was in the wedding and pregnant (they first stroke the unborn baby that would take Ned's name...that was sad... :frown5:) , well when it finished , i was like: "Hah , George Martin pranked you! :cool4: :devil: "

• 4 weeks later...

Watched it last year, but doing a little personal recap.

My bf didn't understand why Cat was looking so worried when the Rains of Castamere started playing, which pissed me off and forced me to have to explain in the middle of an oh-so-short tension building sequence that "it's a Lannister song which is a bit inappropriate". That song should have set the pulse racing, but the show had clearly failed to ingrain the connection between the acoustic tune and the story, or how the tune is used as a threat that families who challenge Lannisters get wiped out. They had played the tune loads, and Cersei had told her story, but the tune and the story and the threat wasn't as one. They were disconnected.

Worse, when the crossbowmen came out, Walder Frey looked up at them in a way that suggested he was alarmed, before settling down happily so he asked "did Walder Frey know about this or not?" which leaves me furious every time I see that shot - as if spontaneous rage had broken out at Robb's wife being pregnant and Walder Frey was happy being along for the ride. I think he was being a bit dumb, but that thought should never have been allowed to cross his mind if D&D had build the tension, dread and denial properly at that point. Knowing that this was a spitefully preconceived trap laid by many people whilst in the midst of it added to the hopelessness and pain when reading it, which is so much more powerful than "oh hell, they've all lost their heads!" before steadily learning that it was a plan.

Archived