[Book Spoilers] Volantis and Talisa

Successful ones, in my case. I knew she had to die, so her displays of strength and will were that much sadder. She married Robb knowing he wasn't perfect but deciding to work with him to make things better. He'd convinced her of his noble intentions and she was going to help him realize them. We can add her to the list of people who's intrinsic goodness get her brutalized in the end.

Absolutely. She was one of the few truly good characters, and I am sorry she's gone.

Robb said Ned would have liked her, and he was right.

Absolutely. She was one of the few truly good characters, and I am sorry she's gone.

Robb said Ned would have liked her, and he was right.

Ned would have liked someone that caused his son to break his word. That they both married just for love, and because they wanted to, when it meant being dishonorable. That's hilarious.

I don't see what's so good about being selfish. But then again who in the real world isn't selfish, so eh.

The fact people are so sad by her being gone is baffling seeing as she didn't actually contribute to the story. She was just there because Robb had to break his word. I mean honestly what more could they have done with her in the show? In the books they could get away with not speaking about Jeyne much at all. Really the only thing they could do was kill her and it was quite fitting. Both her and Robb deserved to die (at least show Robb) because they were so selfish and didn't care they wronged someone.

• 3 months later...

You don't just murder a Maegyr of Volantis at a wedding and get away with it. I would be shocked if Talisa's storyline goes away. When she is first introduced to Catelyn, Talisa indicates that her name carries weight back in her mother country. Other than the name, the show hasn't given any indication that Talisa is related to Malaquo Maegyr, one of the ruling Triarch's of Volantis, but you have to assume they're related. While Malaquo Maegyr has plans of dethroning Daenerys in the novels, it's not too farfetched to envision the show diverging from the books here. GRRM himself suggested the surname Maegyr for Talisa's character. In the show canon, we know that Talisa deplores slavery. I don't think bit of her backstory was added as merely an aside. In the show, there could be a future alliance between Daenerys and Volantis based on mutual interest. Volantis wants Daenerys out of Essos and Volantis wants revenge for the murder of Talisa. Daenerys wants to invade Westeros and could use the help from Volantis. The anti-slavery connection between Talisa and Daenerys would be a good way for Volantis to appeal to Daenerys moral interests. Farfetched, yes, but not logically divergent.

Legs, I think your all over this plot line. This is the one that make the most sense to me too. As I'm late to the party of this tread, after some reading and reasoning, this line of reasoning has the best potential to tie the book and series plots together.

Archived