Roose Bolton in TRoC (book spoilers)

I've been a HUGE fan of Roose's performances... up until last night.

The smug smile he had on his face when Cat saw his armor was totally off. I never really got the impression that Roose enjoyed his betrayal. It was simply practical from his position to turn his cloak. Also, his ninja entrance to deliver the final blow came out of left field, and his delivery of his line seemed angry, instead of the calm, calculated I expected.

This is where I disagree on Roose's characterization I guess.

To me, that was very fitting for Roose. Taunting someone who he knew was going to imminently die. Roose has a chilled, calm, and somewhat emotionless personality, yes, but I've always believed that underneath all that is an even more vicious and sadistic side that would put Ramsay to shame. And that sadistic streak will sometimes bubble to the surface, as it did in this episode. Theon hints at this being the case a few times at least.

This is where I disagree on Roose's characterization I guess.

To me, that was very fitting for Roose. Taunting someone who he knew was going to imminently die. Roose has a chilled, calm, and somewhat emotionless personality, yes, but I've always believed that underneath all that is an even more vicious and sadistic side that would put Ramsay to shame. And that sadistic streak will sometimes bubble to the surface, as it did in this episode. Theon hints at this being the case a few times at least.

I agree, Ramsay must get it from somewhere haha!

There were three moments during the RW that really made me shiver: the beginning of Rains of Castamere, the look given by Roose, and the desperate plead by Catelyn. I am not sure of whether this is in his character, but it does not matter. The show is a separate entity and I think that smirk worked pretty well on TV. It basically created that atmosphere of sudden panic, which is terrible to watch, especially when you know what is coming; the look of the inevitable death.

I've said it in a number of places now, I'll say it again here. I agree that Michelle Fairley deserves every accolade for her performance as Catelyn. But people are unfortunately neglecting just how good Michael McElhatton was. That smirk to Catelyn was, for me, the best bit of acting in the episode, he acted purely with his eyes, there was a glint in there that I can only imagine McElhatton doing. It was a perfect reveal of his treachery, his malice, and his skill in the game. I desperately hope that D+D will write more scenes for him. A great character, perfectly played by an outstanding actor.

Hm never really been a fan of his Roose portrayal. Book Roose scares the shit out of me, this guy doesn't. Thinking about book Roose makes me shiver, in a bad way.

I did kinda like that he looked at his sleeve and went like: See what i'm wearing, see what's going to happen to you.

The stabbing well... idk. After someone here called it a 'drive by stabbing' i can't look at it anymore without laughing loudly.

I've said it in a number of places now, I'll say it again here. I agree that Michelle Fairley deserves every accolade for her performance as Catelyn. But people are unfortunately neglecting just how good Michael McElhatton was. That smirk to Catelyn was, for me, the best bit of acting in the episode, he acted purely with his eyes, there was a glint in there that I can only imagine McElhatton doing. It was a perfect reveal of his treachery, his malice, and his skill in the game. I desperately hope that D+D will write more scenes for him. A great character, perfectly played by an outstanding actor.

I agree, his performance has blown me away so far. Very understated, but he is definitely one of the best actors in the show. I'm really looking forward to how menacing he will be once he returns north, and especially how he will silence Ramsay with a glance.

I think the smirk was perfect, very chilling, and by the time the doors were shut and Frey started his speech the Starks' fate was sealed, he wasn't in any danger of giving the plan away, he chose the pefect moment to mock his victim. There is a heavy degree of psychological torment to the ambush, Robb watches his wife die and Cat watches her son die before she is offed. Intentionally letting Cat know that shit was about to go down and there was nothing she could do about it was a calculated and cruel twist.

That smirk to Cat is from the side of Roose that says shit like, "Don't make me regret the day I raped your mother." His whole cool and collected thing is a bit of a façade, and I still wonder what's going on inside his head about Ramsay's killing of what was obviously the son he preferred x about a zillion (Demeric?).

The show is an adaptation. There will be character tweaks, facets that get upplayed, downplayed, etc. Roose having more snark in the TV version works better onscreen. He definitely has a troll side, it's just less pronounced in the books, which works fine because readers have the benefit of more abstract description.

That smirk to Cat is from the side of Roose that says shit like, "Don't make me regret the day I raped your mother." His whole cool and collected thing is a bit of a façade, and I still wonder what's going on inside his head about Ramsay's killing of what was obviously the son he preferred x about a zillion (Demeric?).

Well the sick thing is, Domeric was the trueborn and preferred heir to the Dreadfort, but I got a sense from his interactions with Ramsay in ADWD that on some dark, base level he admired Ramsay's ambition and cunning in eliminating Domeric to take his place at Roose's side. Roose likes that Ramsay is ruthless but he abhors the fact that he's sloppy and overindulgent. Roose is the mastermind, Ramsay is the sledgehammer.

Another thing people need to understand is that House Bolton has literally been rebelling against the Starks, on and off, for a thousand years. So, to Roose, the Red Wedding was the culmination of a thousand years of vendetta and the absolute triumph of House Bolton over their blood enemy: The Starks. How could he NOT enjoy being the one Lord of the Dreadfort to finally exact the revenge that none of his ancestors were able to pull off before him? He was ecstatic in his own way. .

Another thing people need to understand is that House Bolton has literally been rebelling against the Starks, on and off, for a thousand years. So, to Roose, the Red Wedding was the culmination of a thousand years of vendetta and the absolute triumph of House Bolton over their blood enemy: The Starks. How could he NOT enjoy being the one Lord of the Dreadfort to finally exact the revenge that none of his ancestors were able to pull off before him? He was ecstatic in his own way. .

Regardless of the Stark/Bolton feud, Roose takes enjoyment out of the whole ordeal because he wins. He's a real troll, selfish, and anyone that considers flaying a valid form of questioning or punishment is beyond cruel. Nobody does that without benefiting from some sick pleasure of being in complete control and having absolute power, not to mention watch people grovel.

I think the smirk was perfect, very chilling, and by the time the doors were shut and Frey started his speech the Starks' fate was sealed, he wasn't in any danger of giving the plan away, he chose the pefect moment to mock his victim. There is a heavy degree of psychological torment to the ambush, Robb watches his wife die and Cat watches her son die before she is offed. Intentionally letting Cat know that shit was about to go down and there was nothing she could do about it was a calculated and cruel twist.

I thought it was a marvelous moment; and both actors delivered it perfectly.

I never got the impression that Roose was a brave and capable warrior, i think the running suited him. I think him as a socipath who plays the game well and stays out of danger. Ramsay also certainly got some (or most) of his craziness from Roose, Roose just has his craziness in a less subtle way than Ramsay.

My opinion

i think Roose should have stabbed Rob in the back, it would have been more fitting. Dont't get the drive by stabbing

Roose not making a show of this "masterpiece" of a plan coming together was really my only issue in the whole episode. The drive-by stabbing was sort of anticlimactic imo.

It was a huge departure to have Roose scuttling out of the room away from a woman after being bitch-slapped, instead of dramatically marching into the room at the head of a force of Northerners.

It would have been delicious for Cat to call out his name, for her to look relieved, then look doubtful, for the audiences hopes that Rob and Cat could be saved to pivot on this grey man, for people to dare "hope" (a cruel element lost in this adaptation) and for him to march up to Robb and stab him with a force of Boltons behind him.

Now that would look really well on TV... I'm also disappointed by the way Robb was killed. Roose simply stabbed him with a dagger, there was no sword driven into the king's persona as for a dramatic regicide. The scurrying off was not well thought of and somewhat ruined the drama value of the scene. He could have gracefully made several steps to the side after shrugging off Cat's slap. The way it was done looked more like he tried to get in position as fast as possible and was more appropriate for a Tom & Jerry episode rather than the season's culmination in a drama such as 'Game of Thrones'. Nevertheless, one masterful performance from the show's cast and especially from Michael McElhatton.

You've all made a great deal about the meaning of my smirk, so I'll let you in on the truth. Seconds before we shot that scene, Michelle made a joke about the size of my schlong (totally inaccurate, I might add), I couldn't quite get the smile off my face (and I'll admit, it was somewhat of an embarrassed smile). Michelle and I apologized to David and asked to shoot it again as I was supposed have stuck my tongue out at Michelle when she discovered the mail. Strangely, David thought that the grin was even better, so we kept it.

Archived