Numbers/Books Wanted List ASOIAF Limited Editions

becca69

Well I went ahead and re-ordered Game Of Thrones. I already have the lettered edition from MM. So now I have two lettered editions of the first two books. Great money grub, guys. You can force me to buy these but you can't force me to like it.

I don't think anyone forced you to buy it lol. I know you guys are pissed off but on the other side there are people like me who are happy that they could get a complete set because honestly I've tried to look for the MM numbered editions of my set for more than 2 years now without success.

I don't think anyone forced you to buy it lol.

True I could have "chosen" to break my unbroken lettered set and devalue it by, what, 50%? That's only a choice in the most technical sense of the term. If I say you need to give me your wallet or I'll hit you with a baseball bat I don't think you'd consider that a choice despite the fact that you could, really, choose to get hit with the baseball bat.

Here's another analogy that makes as much sense as yours: it's like you buy a hotdog from a hotdog vendor, but you're still kinda hungry after eating it, so the hotdog vendor says "I'll sell you another hotdog, but it'll cost $410 plus shipping, and you can resell this hotdog for at least $1,000 in the future."

You then decide you'll buy it anyway but then complain about it to people who don't care.

Nice one, althanis :laugh:

But I (kind of) understand the plight Justinian is in. He has to buy the new book - otherwise his lettered set is broken and devalues significantly. He could of course buy the new book and re-sell it at once for a hefty profit as althanis suggested but then his lettered set would be broken as well so he can't do that. So he must buy it and keep it.

So where's the problem you ask? It still increases the total worth of his set, right? Well, this depends.

The price for a lettered set isn't measured by the price the individual books carry but by the rarity of the set itself. So it doesn't really matter if the set includes 6 or 7 books as long as it is unbroken and very rare. The last time a lettered set was sold the price was (to my knowledge) about $15.000 and that was before the new Sub editions of Game and Clash. I have my doubts if these new lettered editions will raise the price of the set to $21.000, probably it will STILL be $15.000 regardless of the new additions. The price that people are willing to pay might even drop below that after the HBO show is done and interest ist starting to wane in the series.

So yes, Justinian has reasons to moan. He is forced to buy all new editions Subterranean is churning out without the guarantee that it will increase the net worth of his collection.

Just my two cents but you should collect these books if you enjoy them and they make you happy to have them. The value is just an added bonus. Yes, it's too bad for some that Meisha went under but Sub Press is a completely different company and they have every right to produce a complete set of books. No one is forced to buy regardless of how it might affect values. If value is all that matters, sell them now and let someone else get pleasure from them.

I've had plenty of rare books that I could have sold at the height of their market but I collect solely for the appreciation of the design, art and content of them (well and because I just love books).

BTW - $15,000 is a huge amount of money for a set of books whether there are 7 or 9 volumes. That is still a very, very large profit.