Replacing Wex with Dagmer Cleftjaw (Book spoilers)

Since of Theon's lot invading Winterfell we only met two of his men - Dagmer and some fat jerk who's name I don't think we learn, i'm going to assume Wex is replaced with Dagmer.

Reasons I think this:

1.) Wex's role(s) in the fifth and possibly sixth book are pretty necessary.

2.) We never physically see what happens to Dagmer. Like in the books, if you don't see it with your own eyes, it potentially didn't happen.

3.) Dagmer seems much smarter and more recognizable than the other guy

4.) In general, a character who talks seems to be better for this kind of role than a mute guy.

Thoughts?

Firstly, i like to believe that, seeing as those men made a deal with Ramsay Bolton, he did what he does to the ironborn at moat cailin later on, disregards the deal ,and butchers them, so i think dagmer is dead. And actually mute characters are the best kind for the series, as there's laws in a number of countries saying a show has to pay someone they give lines to. Wex, could just be an unpaid extra. However I also think it will save a lot of complicated explanations,by just, if Rickon and Osha are still followed next season, having them slipping up in some way so that Lord Manderly finds out about them, seeing as i found the wex explanation be weak in the books

Wex was mentioned in Season Two. Theon: "Wex and Urzen... Ironborn warriors will call out our names as they leap onto the shores of Seagard and Bear Castle."

Sounds like a throwaway line. Real Wex wouldn't be calling out anyone's name.

Since of Theon's lot invading Winterfell we only met two of his men - Dagmer and some fat jerk who's name I don't think we learn, i'm going to assume Wex is replaced with Dagmer.

Reasons I think this:

1.) Wex's role(s) in the fifth and possibly sixth book are pretty necessary.

2.) We never physically see what happens to Dagmer. Like in the books, if you don't see it with your own eyes, it potentially didn't happen.

3.) Dagmer seems much smarter and more recognizable than the other guy

4.) In general, a character who talks seems to be better for this kind of role than a mute guy.

Thoughts?

This is a good idea, and it would be nice to see Ralph Ineson again. Besides, Dagmer is the only ironborn that the Unsullied viewers might recognize. The question is, how would they explain his survival? Ramsay is said to have flayed Theon's garrison in the show, so perhaps he escaped?

The only purpose of Wex was to indicate Davos where he could find Rickon. Now that he will be visiting Last Hearth, anyone from there can serve this purpose.

In fact, I hope that the Wex subplot is eliminated anyway. Is one of the hugest leaps of logic from the books, IMO. Suggesting that a twelve year old mute boy could follow, unnoticed, a wildling and a wolf across 500 miles is dumb. The trip should would taken over a month, at the very least. What did Wex ate during this time? And once he saw Osha and Rickon get aboard a ship, how did he know that it was headed to Skaagos?

Something I picked up on re-re-watch : when Yara leaves Pyke, the camera lingers on that tall bearded man who we see quite clearly again on the ship.

Maybe it's nothing but I could see this guy becoming a little side-kick or "three-line-silhouette-character", who knows.

I'm ready to bet we will see more of Rickon through Yara.

If they are going back to the Last Hearth, please bring back The Greatjon! I was a little disappointed he wasn't in the Red Wedding episode, but then again, they didn't seem to be taking any hostages, so if he had been there he would have gotten the ax for sure. Although, I can't really say it makes sense for him to be back at the Last Hearth, I certainly wouldn't complain.

Sorry, that was off-topic.

As for how Wyman Manderly/Davos finds out that Rickon and Bran are not really dead, the Last Hearth connection could be it, as well as the fact that Ramsay knows it too (though I don't know how that would get back to White Harbour)

• 2 weeks later...

Doubtful. All of the ironborn that went with Theon are dead. Strangely enough that includes Wex who was played by an extra.

but wex was hiding in a tree , and if you want to look at that scene again from season 2... , we get a POV shot down from the tree to Luwen and Co. Coincindence?

Well, again, having next season one of Yara's crewman whom will have been introduced in a couple of scenes spot Osha and Rickon and having him taking the part of Wex in the show.

Archived