The Theory of Everything

J. Stargaryen

In scientific terms, a Theory of Everything tries to combine quantum physics and general relativity into one theory. Here I attempt something slightly more ambitious by proposing a creation myth for the Targaryens and Starks which involves Azor Ahai. Using that as a basis, I then suggest a possible answer to the riddle that is the Lightbringer origin story.

As with science's ToE, there are some pitfalls. Specifically with the aforementioned Lightbringer origin story, as it is extremely difficult to pin down exactly what it means. Because of this, I must admit that my speculation falls under the umbrella of crackpottery, but that's standard operating procedure for most Lightbringer theories. The other part, which I explain first, stands on firmer ground.

Astronomy & Polygamy:

We know that the Dothraki believe that the sun and moon are gods, though that doesn't mean much on its own. The interesting part is that they believe the moon is female, and married to the sun.

Irri said. ... "Moon is god, woman wife of sun. It is known.”

“It is known,” Jhiqui agreed.

This parallel is reaffirmed through Dany and Drogo:

“My brother Rhaegar was a fierce warrior, my sun-and-stars,” she told him. “He died before I was born. Ser Jorah says that he was the last of the dragons.”

Khal Drogo looked down at her. His face was a copper mask, yet under the long black mustache, drooping beneath the weight of its gold rings, she thought she glimpsed the shadow of a smile. “Is good name, Dan Ares wife, moon of my life,” he said.

Having undeniably established that "sun" = husband and "moon" = wife, what are we to make of the bolded portion of the Qartheen tale told by Doreah in Daenerys III, AGoT?

“A trader from Qarth once told me that dragons came from the moon,” blond Doreah said as

she warmed a towel over the fire. Jhiqui and Irri were of an age with Dany, Dothraki girls taken as slaves when Drogo destroyed their father’s khalasar. Doreah was older, almost twenty. Magister Illyrio had found her in a pleasure house in Lys.

Silvery-wet hair tumbled across her eyes as Dany turned her head, curious. “The moon?”

“He told me the moon was an egg, Khaleesi,” the Lysene girl said. “Once there were two moons in the sky, but one wandered too close to the sun and cracked from the heat. A thousand thousand dragons poured forth, and drank the fire of the sun. That is why dragons breathe flame. One day the other moon will kiss the sun too, and then it will crack and the dragons will return.” The two Dothraki girls giggled and laughed. “You are foolish strawhead slave,” Irri said. “Moon is no egg. Moon is god, woman wife of sun. It is known.”

Since sun + moon = husband & wife, it follows that sun (husband) + moon (wife) + moon (wife) = polygamous marriage. But that's not all.

Doreah also tells us that "dragons came from the moon", and I think I know what that means. From reading this series, we all know that "dragon" is an established code word for Targaryen. In this case, I think we can reasonably extrapolate the symbolic use of "dragon" to all Valyrian dragonlords. After all, "blood of the dragon" only became unique to the Targaryens post-Doom.

So what does it all mean? That many thousands of years ago a man, probably the character we call Azor Ahai, was married to two women simultaneously. One of these women birthed the line that would eventually become the dragonlords of old Valyria. If the above is true, then it is a small thematic leap to assume that Azor Ahai and his other wife are the progenitors of House Stark. A Song of Ice and Fire.

According to this theory, the Starks and the Targaryens (re: Valyrians) share a common ancestor in Azor Ahai, but the wargs/greenseers came from one wife, while the dragonlords came from the other. If true, this second wife could quite accurately be called the Mother of Dragons.

A couple of additional points that I will probably elaborate on eventually: Azor Ahai and these women were most likely First Men, and; I think at least one of the trio was a member of House Dayne.

---

Forging Lightbringer:

According to legend, Azor Ahai tried to temper Lightbringer three times before he was successful: first in water, next in the heart of a lion, and finally in the heart of his beloved Nissa Nissa. There have been a number of attempts to decipher the meaning of this tale, and now I've one of my own.

The King of Westeros -- for over two and a half centuries a Valyrian -- is announced as King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men; the three human races of Westeros. I can't help but wonder if the Lightbringer origin story doesn't symbolically represent the (likely unknown) "attempts" to unite the two different bloodlines of Azor Ahai; i.e, the Targaryens (as the remaining Valyrian dragonlords) and Starks.

According to this theory, the Lightbringer origin story contains the following symbolism:

Azor Ahai = House Targaryen

Water = Rhoynar (specifically House Martell)

Lion = Andals (various Targ+Andal marriages ... or ... if you believe A+J=C&J/T)

Nissa Nissa = First Men (specifically Lyanna of House Stark)

So, the Targaryens married and mated with the Martells and various Andals*, but this never produced Lightbringer, or AAr/tPtwP, or any other savior. But the one time they married and mated with House Stark; Jon Snow.

For the record, the other Targ-First Men union that we know of produced an awfully strong greenseer in Bloodraven. I think this might have been an indicator that a union of Valyrian + First Men was on the right track, so to speak.

Does this mean Jon Snow is Lightbringer? Maybe, maybe not. The "forging" of Lightbringer may refer to the power created by combining Houses Stark and Targaryen, be that magic (warg+dragon lord), or royal (KitN+IT), or maybe both. Jon could just as well be Azor Ahai reborn, who realizes his destiny when he begins to "wield" this power as a metaphorical weapon.

*Wrt to the Lion (in turn Lannister) as representative of the Andals, I'm aware of the fact that they trace their origin back to Lann the Clever, who was First Men. Over the centuries they've become more or less completely Andal, as far as we know.

---

TL;DR:

• Azor Ahai was married to two women simultaneously.
  • One of them birthed the Valyrian dragonlords;
  • the other birthed House Stark.
  • R+L=J unites Azor Ahai's two magical bloodlines.
  • This union resulted in, or will result in, Lightbringer. Whether that literally means Jon or the power he "wields" is not clear to me.

1) You sure are leaving out a lot of aSoIaF mythology in this so called 'Theory of Everything'.

2) You've created a pretty unstable theory considering its entirety rests on the premise that AA is of Valyrian descent. For example, what if Lightbrighter is an entity comprised of more than one individual, and not actually a sword?

3) I personally believe AA is Ser Pounce, so take my word for what its worth. Meow.

Hodor.

I dunno, I just assumed the Targs have dominant traits.

Yeah, that's incorrect though. For further information I'd suggest taking that to the right place for it.

Addressing the OP: Wow. That is some impressive stuff.

# :bowdown: (and I don't use that smiley lightly)

I note that under your interpretation, the triple {AA, Ice, Fire} is twisted around over time, a bit like a braid:

The original AA killed NN, probably Mrs Fire, to get dragons/Lightbringer. But now, Rhaegar (Fire) killed Lyanna (Ice) to get AA, while Dany (Fire) gets the dragons.

At first I thought that these twists undermine the theory, now I'm wondering whether they might actually strengthen the connection - not in the sense of "the present is a 1:1 copy of the past" but as "the same motifs arise again in permutation".

Hey Stargaryen, i really like the idea.

We've talked about this before, and i'm still of the opinion the first moon was the original Nissa and the second moon is going to be the new Nissa. Notice Doreah says one day the other moon will get burned - it hasnt happened yet.

In the legend of Lightbringer, it links with Doreah's story.

"Azor Ahai thrust the smoking sword through her living heart. It is said that her cry of anguish and ecstasy left a crack across the face of the moon"

Notice the crack across the moon, from Doreahs story. Also notice the cry of anguish and ecstasy, which is what happens to Melisandre on two separate occasions - i think it's a purposeful link.

1) You sure are leaving out a lot of aSoIaF mythology in this so called 'Theory of Everything'.

2) You've created a pretty unstable theory considering its entirety rests on the premise that AA is of Valyrian descent. For example, what if Lightbrighter is an entity comprised of more than one individual, and not actually a sword?

3) I personally believe AA is Ser Pounce, so take my word for what its worth. Meow.

1) I addressed that. Surely, I've combined quite a lot of the big mythological stuff; Azor Ahai, Lightbringer, the creation of House Stark and the dragon lords of old Valyria, and how all of that ties into R+L=J. The Stark (ice) and Valyrian (fire) portions figuratively mirror quantum physics and general relativity, -- "opposite" forces -- hence ToE.

2) My explanation wrt to the tale of the forging of LB is that it is symbolic. I even say at the end of the first part that I believe AA was actually First Men.

3) Touche.

Yeah, that's incorrect though. For further information I'd suggest taking that to the right place for it.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Hey Stargaryen, i really like the idea.

We've talked about this before, and i'm still of the opinion the first moon was the original Nissa and the second moon is going to be the new Nissa. Notice Doreah says one day the other moon will get burned - it hasnt happened yet.

In the legend of Lightbringer, it links with Doreah's story.

"Azor Ahai thrust the smoking sword through her living heart. It is said that her cry of anguish and ecstasy left a crack across the face of the moon"

Notice the crack across the moon, from Doreahs story. Also notice the cry of anguish and ecstasy, which is what happens to Melisandre on two separate occasions - i think it's a purposeful link.

I think both explanations can work. After all, history has a tendency to repeat itself. And, wrt to my theory, it's pretty clear that there used to be two moons simultaneously. There is already a very good precedent for the idea of polygamy with Aegon and his sisters, not to mention Rhaegar, Elia, and Lyanna.

Just wanted to add that the bloodline thing appeals to me, and i think that Jon being Stark Targaryen will be important as a matter of blood, rather than just a mingling of the two houses - on that we agree.

I note that under your interpretation, the triple {AA, Ice, Fire} is twisted around over time, a bit like a braid:

The original AA killed NN, probably Mrs Fire, to get dragons/Lightbringer. But now, Rhaegar (Fire) killed Lyanna (Ice) to get AA, while Dany (Fire) gets the dragons.

At first I thought that these twists undermine the theory, now I'm wondering whether they might actually strengthen the connection - not in the sense of "the present is a 1:1 copy of the past" but as "the same motifs arise again in permutation".

In response to the ETA.

Yes, I think it's possible that the other moon that Yolkboy mentions was actually Lyanna. Or, it's possible that Jon Snow ends up in a polygamous marriage with some southron girl (Margaery, Shireen, etc.) and Val, and one of those unions results in the rebirth of figurative dragons.

Btw, Val-yria. There might be a hint there. Also, from ADwD:

When they emerged north of the Wall, through a thick door made of freshly hewn green wood, the wildling princess paused for a moment to gaze out across the snow-covered field where King Stannis had won his battle. Beyond, the haunted forest waited, dark and silent. The light of the half-moon turned Val’s honey-blond hair a pale silver and left her cheeks as white as snow. She took a deep breath. “The air tastes sweet.”

Silver, as in Targaryen/Valyrian.

tbh this seems like a good theory. but if you are eventually proposing jon should sit on the iron throne then im not good with that lol. all i want to know is who will win this game of thrones and finally sit on the iron throne.

I missed this earlier. Thanks.

This theory doesn't really say whether or not Jon "should" sit on the IT. He certainly could, based solely on R+L=J.

I think AA, PwwP and the Last Hero were 3 separate individuals

AA = Dany

PWWP = ??

Last Hero = Jon

Together they make the "3 Heads of the Dragon".

Azor Ahai was supposedly an actual historical figure. The PtwP is most likely, imo, Azor Ahai reborn. As Azor Ahai's return has been prophesied, or promised.

I think that the three headed dragon is one person with three identities, or "heads"; e.g., Jon Snow/Stark/Targaryen. It's one dragon with three heads, as opposed to three dragons, each with its own head.

My own take is that the three "heads" refers to the three sections of Westeros that Jon will be king of eventually; the 'South', North, and Lands Beyond the Wall.

Well the OP and I tend to usually be on similar wavelengths so I dig the direction this thread is going.

My own theory is that the legend of AA deals with the first dragon rider (being AA) and the process in which he went through to successfully bond with a dragon. Like the OP I think that the First Men (or the Essos ancestors of the First Men) played a significant part. Basically they were sacrifices needed to create a dragon that can be ridden. Three attempts to create lightbringer dealt with trial and error of creating the necessary sacrifice: 1) people from the Dothraki sea (probably the Lhazareens) 2) heart of a lion deals with a king (or queen) or a mighty leader, 3) heart of the spouse, there has to be an emotional connection between dragonrider and the sacrifice.

The legend of lightbringer is reinvented again for the modern age, and I do believe that Jon is at least part of the prophecy of lightbringer. He is Rhaegar's (AA or a dragonrider) third attempt (third child). The first attempt was his daughter of the Rhoynish mother (water). The second attempt was his son and heir Aegon, through the heart of the lion, the Lannister's pride. And the third attempt was with his "true love" Lyanna (of first men descent), causing her death but resulting in Jon.

Well the OP and I tend to usually be on similar wavelengths so I dig the direction this thread is going.

My own theory is that the legend of AA deals with the first dragon rider (being AA) and the process in which he went through to successfully bond with a dragon. Like the OP I think that the First Men (or the Essos ancestors of the First Men) played a significant part. Basically they were sacrifices needed to create a dragon that can be ridden. Three attempts to create lightbringer dealt with trial and error of creating the necessary sacrifice: 1) people from the Dothraki sea (probably the Lhazareens) 2) heart of a lion deals with a king (or queen) or a mighty leader, 3) heart of the spouse, there has to be an emotional connection between dragonrider and the sacrifice.

The legend of lightbringer is reinvented again for the modern age, and I do believe that Jon is at least part of the prophecy of lightbringer. He is Rhaegar's (AA or a dragonrider) third attempt (third child). The first attempt was his daughter of the Rhoynish mother (water). The second attempt was his son and heir Aegon, through the heart of the lion, the Lannister's pride. And the third attempt was with his "true love" Lyanna (of first men descent), causing her death but resulting in Jon.

Your old Lightbringer origin story idea (re: seeking a bride for Rhaegar) is probably the biggest inspiration for my version of the LB myth. Ever since I read it I've been twisting various ideas around in my head, trying to make them work.

Your old Lightbringer origin story idea (re: seeking a bride for Rhaegar) is probably the biggest inspiration for my version of the LB myth. Ever since I read it I've been twisting various ideas around in my head, trying to make them work.

Yea, I'm constantly fiddling around with that myself. Maybe I'll eventually settle on something I'm completely comfortable with.

Archived