Original Reactons to the Purple Wedding

As for reaching out for his mother, he already did that after cutting himself on the swords of the Iron Throne. Joffrey vacillates between being a little monster and a scared little boy. Given the former, though, it was only a matter of time before someone did for him. In this case it was someone acting on the maxim "Do unto others before they do unto you" (or your granddaughter/grandson in the present instance).

honestly, I think was still kind of sad and empty because of the RW that PW seemed like "well, that's not gonna turn the realm around" but I loved what happens after with Sansa etc.

I had been spoiled for the Red Wedding, and I knew that Joffrey was too much of an asswhipe to live out the whole series, but the timing of his death really surprised me. I was glad he was dead, but it was such an anti-climactic death and the fact that Tyrion got arrested immediately after, took away the joy I would have normally had.

What I found interesting about where and how Joffrey died, was that it happened after the red wedding and long after Ned's death. I remember being so mad at Walder Frey and Roose Bolton at that moment, that they had moved up to number one on my death list. I didn't care as much whether Joffrey lived or died, and right after he died I realized that he's just this angry cruel little kid, nothing compared to the cruelty and evil of Lord Frey, Lord Bolton, Lord Tywin, etc.

Brilliant structure by GRRM. He makes us hate this little douchy prince for two and a half books, and by the time he dies, it's not even the main focus anymore.

I was smiling all the way through Joffrey's choking and was so glad that the little bastard had finally died.

Glee, pure glee, the like sof which I never thought could come from the death of a fictional child.

Followed sometime after by, "Well, still not enough to make up for the RW."

Then Tywin died. Bliss.

When I first read it and Joffrey was choking after eating Tyrion's pigeon pie, I though Cersei maybe tried poisoning Tyrion not knowing that Joffrey would be such an ass and eat Tyrion's pie himself, making an ass of himself while trying to humiliate Tyrion. I thought, what poetic justice that Cersie kills her little shit son while trying to kill her brother.

Turns out I was wrong, but I was glad to see Joffrey dead either way.

I already knew that he gets poisoned at his wedding from stupidly looking at the appendix for book 4 before I got there. Also, the fourth book book cover spoilers that Tyrion kills Tywin, though I didn't know how. I enjoyed the staging and liked watching the little shit die, but I was expecting more fireworks to be honest than him simply suffocating and clawing at his own throat. Mass internal hemorrhaging, bursting into fire, that kind of thing. Unfortunately, the aftermath of the PW is more pain for good characters; Tyrion spends most of the remaining book a prisoner, Oberyn dies terribly while defending him (even if it also means Greg Clegane dies): on the upshot the whole process provides the catharsis needed for Tyrion to off his tyrranical father, but only after he's killed Shae and been rendered a chronic alcoholic. And Joffers' death is simply not horrible enough to cancel out the horrors of the RW. But I couldn't stand the character after the RW and was glad that him dying a virgin meant that Sansa would be safe.

I was so jubilant! I was like 'ok GRRM, you taketh Ned, you taketh Robb, and you taketh Jofferey....this is fair'

but seriously I had a new level of appreciation for the series that people I strongly disliked were fair game to get killed off at anytime too. A flicker of hope.

I was like "What the f-ck, there's is no way this can happen... Oh shit, it did happen. This writer is crazy. Oh shit. No more Joffrey. Oh shit, that's awesome. One less dick in the series."

I mean on the first Blick it's the prototype case of a brick can fall onto my head too... Of course Joffrey was a prick everybody hated, so that brick was kind of hanging above his head for a while now, but it was still a great deal of shock to me that he died out of blue like that. Well, one is never safe in this book.

But it's somewhat frustrating that everybody dies a sudden unexpected, surreal death. Yes, it's a good method of claptrap, but I can count the people who died a reasonable death on Greatjon Umber's maimed hand...

But it's somewhat frustrating that everybody dies a sudden unexpected, surreal death. Yes, it's a good method of claptrap, but I can count the people who died a reasonable death on Greatjon Umber's maimed hand...

I think a lot, if not most, of the deaths are quite reasonable. Ned, Drogo, Quentyn, Karstark, Viserys, and Mormont all have deaths that for various reasons you can see coming and that they brought upon themselves. Joffrey made a great number of enemies, and King's Landing is a dangerous place, the only surreal element was the wedding feast. Even Robb's death was somewhat foreseeable, even if the manner was unexpected.

Archived