[Book Spoilers]The "Episode 9" Moment of Season 4

Tewks44

So we have the first 3 "big moments" as fairly obvious. Ned's beheading, The Battle of the Blackwater, and, of course, The Red Wedding. These were pretty obvious moments to book readers, and they all happened on episode 9 as the high point of the season, allowing the last episode of the season to provide some form of fall out/aftermath to the major event. Assuming they're going to stick with this formula, we're in for another huge moment in season 4, episode 9. However, in this case, the major event isn't so obvious. Here are some options I can think of.

The Purple Wedding (Unlikely considering it should happen much earlier)

The Dual with Gregor Clegane and The Red Viper (possible with the timeline, but it would mean Tyrion's trial would take the larger part of season 4)

The Battle at The Wall (may be difficult to work into the timeline, given Jon's current position in the story, but it's certainly doable)

Littlefinger killing Lysa (Hard to say, since it's an event that's ultimately tied to the PW, but it could work)

Well, that's all I can think of for now, what are some other possibilities you guys can throw out there?

The whole Oberyn VS Gregor and MOST(if not all) of Tyrion's actual trial.

Tyrion's escape, confrontation with Jaime and his murder of Tywin/Shae is definitely finale material.

Oberyn offering to champion Tyrion and Tyrion receiving visitors in his cell is definitely third to last episode.

Maybe fourth to last episode won't feature Tyrion at all.

The middle episode, episode 5, will be the Purple Wedding. Calling it now.

They;re NOT going to bring back the actor who plays Joffrey for three episodes or something.

Been struggling to think what it could be myself. Season 4 has so many "episode 9" moments.

Time-wise I think the Viper-Mountain duel makes the most sense. The purple wedding should occur early in the season, and so should the battle of the Wall, so they have plenty of time to resolve the aftermath with Stannis' offer, Jon being named LC and so on.

Definitely Tyrion killing Tywin and Shae.

The PW will be episode 2, 3 or possibly 4, followed by Tyrion's trial, with the RV/Mountain fight in episode 6.

At the Wall, the battle for Castle Black will be E1 or E2, with the battle north of the wall E3 or E4 (not the same episode as the PW).

Jon will be elected Lord Commander in episode 10, and LF will kill Lysa in that episode as well.

Dany will.... oh who cares.

This is how I think they will structure the major events of season 4:

Episode 1: introduction, etc. (Possibly Victarion+Euron intro? not sure..)

Episode 2: Purple Wedding

Episode 3: PW aftermath, etc

Episode 4:Don't know

Episode 5:Don't know.

Episode 6:Don't know.

Episode 7: Don't know.

Episode 8: Oberyn VS Gregor

Episode 9: Battle at the Wall (Stannis arrival+battle, the actual siege could begin earlier in the season)

Episode 10: Littlefinger killing Lysa, Tyrion killing Tywin + Varys tells him he's going to Daenarys, possibly something with Jon Snow and Lord Commander, Dragon Horn reveal + Victarion going east, Dany riding away on Drogon?

I don't know where Arya's Braavos arrival will be. She might go there in episode 10, or she might go there earlier..

This is how I think they will structure the major events of season 4:

Episode 1: introduction, etc. (Possibly Victarion+Euron intro? not sure..)

Episode 2: Purple Wedding

Episode 3: PW aftermath, etc

Episode 4:Don't know

Episode 5:Don't know.

Episode 6:Don't know.

Episode 7: Don't know.

Episode 8: Oberyn VS Gregor

Episode 9: Battle at the Wall (Stannis arrival+battle, the actual siege could begin earlier in the season)

Episode 10: Littlefinger killing Lysa, Tyrion killing Tywin + Varys tells him he's going to Daenarys, possibly something with Jon Snow and Lord Commander, Dragon Horn reveal + Victarion going east, Dany riding away on Drogon?

I don't know where Arya's Braavos arrival will be. She might go there in episode 10, or she might go there earlier..

some of that stuff has to happen way earlier. i have a thread detailing alot of this waiting for aproval.

but "only cat," stannis arriving at the wall should be in episode 4 or 5. theres still too much post stannis- arrival stuff in jons asos plotline for that to happen too late

edit: er change in bold. you probably would have understood it but this is clearer

stannis arriving at the wall should be in episode 4 or 5. theres still too much post stannis stuff in asos for that to happen too late

I sort of agree with this. But since they already said they wanted to make the Wall-battle bigger than Blackwater, it feels like it needs to be episode 9. Or else episode 5 would be the action peak of the season, and ratings might drop towards the end.

I sort of agree with this. But since they already said they wanted to make the Wall-battle bigger than Blackwater, it feels like it needs to be episode 9. Or else episode 5 would be the action peak of the season, and ratings might drop towards the end.

I see episode 8 as the Battle at the Wall, which is as far back as it can be and still be called near the end of the season (which is when it's slated to occur), whilst also leaving enough space for the politics and the Wall ending in Jon being named LC.

If they play their cards right E9/10 can still be pretty big episodes. E9 would be Tywin's death imo, so Tyrion can meet Illyrio for episode 10. Episode 10 can also have Jon's election as LC, Lady Stoneheart hanging Brienne (revealing Cat's resurrection is perhaps not such a good thing as people thought.) and perhaps meeting BR as the big events.

I've posted this elsewhere, but oh well, here goes:

SEASON 4:

Ep. 1- Joffrey receives wedding gifts, and Tyrion welcomes Dorne to KL. Sucks to be Theon. (Maybe something with Davos)

Ep. 2- KL hosts a wedding. Shit hits the fan. Sansa busts a move. Tyrion is thrown in jail. Aemon tends to Jon at CB.

Ep. 3- Jamie & Brienne reach KL. Arya & the Hound make for the Eyrie. Dany heads for Mereen. Bran goes north of the wall. Sansa meets her savior. Jon preps CB for attack from the South.

Ep. 4- Ygritte's dies. Tyrion discusses with his uncle. Loras confronts Brienne. Cersei and Jamie have a warm reunion. Still sucks to be Theon. Stannis threatens Davos. Davos reads a letter. Sansa meets her aunt.

Ep. 5- Jon preps CB for attack from the North. Tyrion sends Pod for help. Jamie and his father have a less-than warm reunion. Arya & the Hound stop at an inn. Dany plots to take Mereen. Jorah makes uncomfortable advances.

Ep. 6- Tyrion has a chat with Oberyn. Part 1 of the trial. Jon defends the wall. Arya shows no mercy to the Hound. Sansa goes to the vale. Jamie convinces Loras to talk with Brienne.

Ep. 7- Alliser Thorne throws Jon in an ice cell. Part 2 of Tyrion's trial; Varys and Shae feature. Still sucks to be Theon. Bran wanders north. Dany does very little. Sansa meets her new betrothed.

Ep. 8- Jon is released to go parlay with Mance. Tyrion demands trial by battle. He is sent to the black cells. Jamie gives Brienne a new quest. Arya sells her horse to buy passage to the Wall.

Ep. 9- Jamie saves Tyrion. Tyrion gets back at Shae. Tywin doesn't shit gold. Jon talks with Mance, sees the horn of winter. Sansa builds a snow castle. Dany sends her sewer rats into Mereen.

Ep. 10- Stannis saves the day! Dany takes Mereen. Arya learns what saying Valar Morghulis gets you. Littlefinger: "Only Cat." Maybe we finally meet Un-Cat. Still sucks to be Theon.

SEASON 5:

Ep. 1: Arya arrives in Braavos. Littlefinger plots with Sansa. Stannis makes Jon an offer, while Sam organizes a vote. Jamie heads to the Riverlands. Ramsey takes Theon to Winterfell. Tyrion meets Illyrio.

Ep. 2: Brienne meets Pod. Illyrio sends Tyrion on his way. Dany confronts Jorah. Bran meets Bloodraven. Margaery marries Tommen. Victarion sets sail for Mereen. Arianne plots to make Myrcella a queen. Arya meets a kindly man. Davos meets Wyman Manderly.

Ep. 3: Jon becomes LC. He explains to Stannis how to take the north. Arya starts training. Tyrion sets sail with some Griffs. Mel burns “Mance”. Dany gets a marriage proposal. Theon visits Winterfell’s godswood. Bran looks through a tree.

Ep. 4: Sansa learns from Littlefinger. Arianne is imprisoned. Sam is sent to Oldtown with Gilly and Aemon. Jamie negotiates with the Blackfish. Cersei plots against Margaery. Tyrion stops at a brothel, and meets Jorah.

Ep. 5: Brienne meets a kindly septon and a large gravedigger. Dany has a wedding. Sam stops in Braavos. Arya/Cat of the Canals continues her training. Jon and Mel talk about daggers in the dark. Tyrion finds himself on another boat heading for Mereen. Davos finds himself on a boat to Skagos.

Ep. 6: Winterfell hosts a wedding. Stannis captures Deepwood Motte/Yara. Brienne meets Lady Stoneheart. Sansa and Sweet Robin travel to the Gates of the Moon. Theon visits Winterfell’s crypts. Tyrion and Jorah are taken captive by slavers. Jon makes a deal with Tormund and the Wildlings.

Ep. 7: Stannis is stuck in the snow. Cersei makes accusations against Margaery, and visits her in the sept. Dany re-opens the fighting pits in Mereen. Tyrion arrives in Mereen. Jon meets a banker from Braavos. The Wildlings cross the wall. Cersei is imprisoned. Arya goes blind.

Ep. 8: Cersei goes for a walk. Littlefinger lets Sansa in on a plan. Theon, Abel and the washerwomen hatch a plan. Jamie gets a visit from Brienne. Jorah chafes against his new position as a slave. Sam and Gilly have an intimate moment.

Ep. 9. Jon reads a letter from Ramsey. Dany goes to the fighting pits, then for a dragon ride. Cersei is meek to her uncle Kevan. Theon meets Stannis. Victarion gets to Slaver’s Bay. Jon sees daggers in the dark.

Ep. 10: Battle at Mereen. Tyrion turns the Second Sons to Dany’s cause. Kevan meets Varys. Sam gets to Oldtown, meets Pate. Arya learns how to change her face.

Tyrion killing Shae/Tywin and then escaping Kings Landing via help from Varys/Jaime.

That's going to be the big moment. Funny because the second half of this season will have many big moments but I think that's the one people will be most shocked. And I really hope they don't put it in episode 9 because now fans will surely get used to the shows formula of major characters dying that episode. So I believe they should have the Battle of Castle Black on episode 9 and then fans will think that's the big moment.

Episode 10 comes along and its a huge shocker. Either way, I think episode 9 for next season shouldn't be reserved for the Tyrion moment to throw off viewers.

I think an issue is what to do with Stannis. I don't think they can have him sulking in Dragonstone for most of yet another season. At the same time, the timeline doesn't allow Stannis to sail away early in the season.

As for episode 9, I guess it has to involve Tywin paying a visit to the privy. Maybe also the wildlings having a brush with heavy cavalry, but that will mean an episode 9 with a good note. I'm not sure if there are 'Bad guys winning' moments for S04E09

They don't need to stick to the formula, but if they want to, Oberyn vs The Mountain duel could be in episode 8, episode 9 could include the Battle of the Wall and wouldn't include Tyrion at all, while episode 10 would then include Tyrion's escape, proclamation of Jon as the new LC etc. However, I think that after three seasons using the same formula, it's time for sth different. Make things more unpredictable.

Jamie and his father have a less-than warm reunion

This should happen MUCH sooner. Waiting several episodes for Jaime to arrive in KL would break the willing suspension of disbelief, even if they are creative with chronology.

Based on how the show has been structured dramatically to this point, and knowing what we know about the story line based on the book series, I think it's reason to expect next season to play out like this...

Episode 1: Much like the other premiere episodes, this will act as a sort of re-introduction to the various plot threads, and will set them all on their way for the season. Hard to say what, exactly, we'll see, but I wouldn't expect it to be anything big. Although I do expect Davos to read the letter from the Night's Watch in this episode, and for those characters to disappear until they arrive at the Wall.

Episode 2: Since we know that Martin is writing this episode, there are two possibilities here - this is the Purple Wedding itself, or this is the episode directly prior to the wedding, and a multitude of new characters will be introduced in this episode (Oberyn, Ellaria, Mace, Euron, & Victarion). On the flip side, I can see how some of these characters may be introduced in the premiere, as well, which would allow for this episode to end with Joffrey dying at his own wedding. My gut instinct tells me that this is the episode directly before that happens, though, so...

Episode 3: Purple Wedding, ending with Tyrion being placed under arrest.

Episode 4: Not entirely sure.

Episode 5: Battle at the Wall begins at the end of this episode.

Episode 6: Main sequence of the battle at the Wall; Ygritte dies.

Episode 7: Stannis arrives at the Wall.

Episode 8: The Kingsmoot; Arya kills Polliver and leaves The Hound for dead.

Episode 9: Majority of Tyrion's trial; Oberyn vs. The Mountain ends the episode.

Episode 10: Jon elected Lord Commander; Arya leaves for Braavos; Tyrion kills Tywin & Shae before escaping; Dany decides to stay in Mereen and rule; Littlefinger kills Lysa; Lady Stoneheart shows up for the first time since the season three finale (I don't think Brienne will be involved, as she doesn't leave King's Landing until after the duel, and it makes sense to consolidate her character into that location for as long as possible).

It's too difficult to discern what they'll do with every character, but if you look at the main characters (Arya, Jon, Dany, and Tyrion), you can make a season outline that works well while not strictly adhering to their formula. No matter what, next season stands to be absolutely incredibly climactic.

I think an issue is what to do with Stannis. I don't think they can have him sulking in Dragonstone for most of yet another season. At the same time, the timeline doesn't allow Stannis to sail away early in the season.

As for episode 9, I guess it has to involve Tywin paying a visit to the privy. Maybe also the wildlings having a brush with heavy cavalry, but that will mean an episode 9 with a good note. I'm not sure if there are 'Bad guys winning' moments for S04E09

I agree with this. I do think that Stannis and Davos will have confrontations at the beginning of next year, then by Ep. 4 he'll sail away to the Wall. Regardless of whether or not people think things need to be changed up, if D+D follow the story, Shae and Tywin's deaths will be around Ep. 9.

They don't have to, but they must be sticking with the same round about pattern every series for a reason, which is big moments in ep 4 and 9, so I would guess based on that for the King's Landing storyline;

Episode 4 - PW

Episode 9 - Tyrion's escape

The KL plot is going to be amazing next year, but there are plenty of other storylines to fill that this material could easily stretch. If this was the case, episode 10 could then be the aftermath of Tywin's death just as this season I imagine it will be reaction to RW. I've no idea what the final scene of S4E10 will be though.

Archived