Resourceful, Creative, Tenacious: Axell Florent

RenlyIsNotRight

That's because GRRM basically just duplicated the character.

I don't think Selyse was intended to be so much like Lysa in the books. The show version of Selyse is very Lysa esque, but the book version just seemed more like generally cold and unpleasant to an extreme person with a wispy moustache to me.

I don't think Selyse was intended to be so much like Lysa in the books. The show version of Selyse is very Lysa esque, but the book version just seemed more like generally cold and unpleasant to an extreme person with a wispy moustache to me.

I think cold and unpleasant are perfect ways to describe both. The main difference is a moustache. They don't listen to anyone and think they know better. Lysa is just a bit more hysterical thanks to Littlefucker.

I think cold and unpleasant are perfect ways to describe both. The main difference is a moustache. They don't listen to anyone and think they know better. Lysa is just a bit more hysterical thanks to Littlefucker.

Lysa is cold and unpleasant, but that hysteria is what really defines her personality. Selyse in the books lacks the hysteria, which on the show they took up to Lysa levels.

Ah, the Florents! IMHO, one of GRRM greatest symbolic ironies in the series. A House who's sigil is a universal symbol of cunning and intelligence, and yet, there not a single member of that House that displays such traits.

the one who ran away and stuck his uncle with the castellan job is kind of smart I guess.

the one who ran away and stuck his uncle with the castellan job is kind of smart I guess.

Alekyne? Runs off to under Leyton's skirt, and risk being turned into a thrall. Cowardness=/=cunning.

Alekyne? Runs off to under Leyton's skirt, and risk being turned into a thrall. Cowardness=/=cunning.

I'm not a fan of cowardice either, but if garlan fails, he gets his castle back, if Garlan succeeds, his Hightowers cousins will protect him and he'll still spend his life rich in a nice city.

I'm not a fan of cowardice either, but if garlan fails, he gets his castle back, if Garlan succeeds, his Hightowers cousins will protect him and he'll still spend his life rich in a nice city.

If Garlan fails in the siege of Brightwater or the Shields offensive, the title and lands go to his heir Wyllas, not revert back to Alekyne. If Garlan succeeds, he's a poor relative living off the Hightowers generosity. If the ironborn succeed, he becomes a thrall and Garlan a corpse. Nothing about it is cunning.

If Garlan fails in the siege of Brightwater or the Shields offensive, the title and lands go to his heir Wyllas, not revert back to Alekyne. If Garlan succeeds, he's a poor relative living off the Hightowers generosity. If the ironborn succeed, he becomes a thrall and Garlan a corpse. Nothing about it is cunning.

If Garlan fails, most likely rule will go back to the Florents. They control the castle, and after a period of chaos, de facto rule often becomes de jure. If Garlan succeeds, Florent still has lots of money in Oldtown. Do you think he left Brightwater Keep without taking the gold first? As far as the Ironborn go, how in the world does that have to do with his intelligence? Is someone stupid for getting hit with lightning? Ironborn attacks have just about as much rhyme and reason to them.

• 6 months later...

If Garlan fails, most likely rule will go back to the Florents. They control the castle, and after a period of chaos, de facto rule often becomes de jure. If Garlan succeeds, Florent still has lots of money in Oldtown. Do you think he left Brightwater Keep without taking the gold first? As far as the Ironborn go, how in the world does that have to do with his intelligence? Is someone stupid for getting hit with lightning? Ironborn attacks have just about as much rhyme and reason to them.

Under Tommen, Brightwater is a Tyrell holding. Garlan is just the current Lord, but if he dies it goes to another Tyrell or do you think the Tyrell Hand or the Tyrell Queen would just give it up? Gold will eventually run out without a way the replenish it. And of instead of hiding under Leyton's skirt, Alekyne was trying to hire sellswords to harass Garlan's siege would serve him better, but that would be smart and there's a moratorium on Florents making smart moves.

Under Tommen, Brightwater is a Tyrell holding. Garlan is just the current Lord, but if he dies it goes to another Tyrell or do you think the Tyrell Hand or the Tyrell Queen would just give it up? Gold will eventually run out without a way the replenish it. And of instead of hiding under Leyton's skirt, Alekyne was trying to hire sellswords to harass Garlan's siege would serve him better, but that would be smart and there's a moratorium on Florents making smart moves.

I think you underestimate the cunning of the fox.

This has completely opened my eyes to this character. I never thought much of Axell one way or the other before but now I realize he's actually on of GRRMs finest deceptions and most complex characters in the series. Bumping this thread so more can see how great this is.

lol, um, did you get locked out of your account and then "discover" the thread you previously wrote with this new account?

Archived