The new Hodor theory.

A new idea about hodor was piece together. Essentially hodor was born a normal boy, but then a dog/other animal with warging abilities warged into his mind and then he animal was killed. So hodor's "hodor"s are like the dogs barking. He is able to listen to commands, and 'fetch' things. But gets scared from lightning and such. Chew on that, internets.

Did G.R.R.M ever say that animals couldn't warg, that it was only humans/children of the forest?

A new idea about hodor was piece together. Essentially hodor was born a normal boy, but then a dog/other animal with warging abilities warged into his mind and then he animal was killed. So hodor's "hodor"s are like the dogs barking. He is able to listen to commands, and 'fetch' things. But gets scared from lightning and such. Chew on that, internets.

Did G.R.R.M ever say that animals couldn't warg, that it was only humans/children of the forest?

I originally thought it was the direwolves themselves that reached out to the Stark children and not vice versa, you might be on to something.

There's a huge problem here, and that is that Hodor's mind is apparently and mysteriously gone if that's the case. When Bran enters another's body, the owner's mind is still there. In fact, it's there more so than he is. Varymir is wary that "true death" is permanent because even if he managed to share skins with someone else, his mind would still fade away gradually. Suppose a dog did enter Hodor's mind... it should be gone not long after. It's mind would fade away and Hodor's should remain.

When Bran enters Hodor's body, he senses a simple-minded man. It's probably just that Hodor has a severe intellectual disability.

Best Theory Ever

So Hodor's brain functioning is inverted. The human thinking still takes place normally but only in one small corner of the mind, because the majority of the mindspace is taken up by thoughts of rabbits and dogbutt. It's like how my car sometimes inverts which power windows are affected by the child safety feature; some days, I won't be able to roll down my own driver's side window but the other 3 windows roll up and down just fine. It's like my car has identified me as the child for some reason. That's not supposed to be one of the available window settings! The wires got crossed, like with Hodor.

Whoa. What if something did displace Hodor's mind and shove Hodor into a corner in his own mind....... but it wasn't something silly. NOT a warg or animal who did it.

What if Hodor received a very important mental stamp from the old gods? A Legacy dumped on him, a treasure trove of ancestral memories from the last hero????

Hodor could actually be "The North's only hope, Obi Wan." He Could Be THE Codebreaker, the fool who Re-Aligns Fire with Ice, the one guy who's able to sing the harmony part to reunite the Others with the Children.

I thought this was going to be a joke thread but now I'm all like...

Seriously though, even with all the flaws or holes we could find in this theory, its a completely amazing one. greater than all the Hodor is a hero-Targaryen-Warg-facelessman-dragon.

It's a funny thought, though it seems to mismatch with what Bran experiences when he goes into Hodor's head. He doesn't have to force out the animalwarg and then discovers the pure Hodor inside, he has to force Hodor into a corner where he whimpers and hides. That seems to indicate that Hodor is just Hodor (well, maybe with the obligatory few drops of Targ blood that all characters are supposed to have).

Anyways, Hodor's ability to understand speech and follow commands seems far superior to a dog's.

Now we just have to think of what animal will constantly be thinking 'Hodor'...

The brindled Winter Hodor, a small bird living north of the wall :P

It's a funny thought, though it seems to mismatch with what Bran experiences when he goes into Hodor's head. He doesn't have to force out the animalwarg and then discovers the pure Hodor inside, he has to force Hodor into a corner where he whimpers and hides. That seems to indicate that Hodor is just Hodor (well, maybe with the obligatory few drops of Targ blood that all characters are supposed to have).

Anyways, Hodor's ability to understand speech and follow commands seems far superior to a dog's.

:agree:

Oh, and there was something about Old nan having a bit of COF blood in her, and Hodor having a bit of giant's blood in him. Maybe a Child of the Forest bred with a giant, and the average sized offspring was adopted into the first man's world?

THIS! :drool: That is genuinely plausible, I didn't even notice that when I read through the books, great post!

As for the animal warging into Hodor- great idea, but sadly I don't think Hodor is destined for greatness and I seriously doubt he's a Targ, I don't think GGRM would be stupid enough to have 3/4 Targ's suddenly appear in the 2nd last book, we've already had Aegon, and people are thinking Jon in the R+L=J thread aswell as people hinting at Gerold Dayne.

Oh, and there was something about Old nan having a bit of COF blood in her, and Hodor having a bit of giant's blood in him. Maybe a Child of the Forest bred with a giant, and the average sized offspring was adopted into the first man's world?

Hang on a minute, I can't tell if you are joking or not but how on earth could a tiny little CotF breed with a giant?! I mean how would that even work?!?

Hang on a minute, I can't tell if you are joking or not but how on earth could a tiny little CotF breed with a giant?! I mean how would that even work?!?

Well, only male humans can breed with female giants, it doesn't work so well the other way. Mayhaps male children can breed with female giants?

Whoa. What if something did displace Hodor's mind and shove Hodor into a corner in his own mind....... but it wasn't something silly. NOT a warg or animal who did it.

What if Hodor received a very important mental stamp from the old gods? A Legacy dumped on him, a treasure trove of ancestral memories from the last hero????

Hodor could actually be "The North's only hope, Obi Wan." He Could Be THE Codebreaker, the fool who Re-Aligns Fire with Ice, the one guy who's able to sing the harmony part to reunite the Others with the Children.

I really like this.

Well, only male humans can breed with female giants, it doesn't work so well the other way. Mayhaps male children can breed with female giants?

Pretty sure in one of Tyrion's chapters in ADWD, he describes one of the Yunkish Great Masters as having had a male giant he enjoyed watching have sex with his bed slaves, so its not impossible,

Pretty sure in one of Tyrion's chapters in ADWD, he describes one of the Yunkish Great Masters as having had a male giant he enjoyed watching have sex with his bed slaves, so its not impossible,

Yes it is because in the exact scene you describe the bed slaves all die after having sex with a giant.

Archived