Top 10 Best Written Characters?

Pinkie Baelish

It is an interesting point, and you could have made your own thread about it, IMO.

Pate is probably my favorite prologue/epilogue guy. But I really love Maester Cressen. I love his struggle trying to sway Stannis towards peace with his brothers, thinking as a father figure (he practically raised the Baratheons). He also reflected Davos' maddest point against Melisandre before Davos got there himself. It's a shame such a major character had so little exposure.

Thanks, I've taken you up on your suggestion:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/89555-asoiafs-prologues-and-epilogues-on-merret-and-literary-merit/

1) Dany- I'm a sucker for a strong female character, I love Dany

2) Catelyn- Same as Dany, but I really didn't appreciated her until my re-read. Shame on me.

3) Arya- I don't know why, but everytime I read an Arya POV I'm afraid.

4) Cersei- I enjoyed being in the mind of a psychopath

5) Sansa- Her POV had me on edge a lot, I think that was a good thing

6) Davos- I have never been disappointed by a Davos POV

7) Bran- a bit slow at times, but a lot of valuable info in his POV

8) Theon- Best written POV in ADWD

9) Eddard- only one book, but I enjoyed him

10) Oberyn-he really enhanced Tyrion's chapters in ASOS

Almost all the characters are well written, even the minor ones are interesting. But, Theon had remained the most complex, interesting character ever since he was introduced. Enough had been said about Jaime, Stannis, Hound, Catylen.

1. Theon
  2. Jaime
  3. Aeron ( one of the most unique character, in the series. Dark thoughts, and author hints at much dark stuff in future books)
  4. Victarion - the level of hate and love, he can inspire in reader, makes him a controversial.
  5. Stannis
  6. Tyrion - his dance and storm arc is brilliant.
  7. catylen
  8. Jorah
  9. Davos
  10. Varys/Littlefinger

Almost all the characters are well written, even the minor ones are interesting. But, Theon had remained the most complex, interesting character ever since he was introduced. Enough had been said about Jaime, Stannis, Hound, Catylen.

1. Theon

1. Sandor Clegane

2.Theon Greyjoy

1. Theon

Theon

8) Theon- Best written POV in ADWD

2. Theon

This isn't easy but let's see:

1. Littlefinger/Theon Greyjoy

This is tough, but I'll give it a go. In no particular order and absolutely not reflective of my favorites, my top ten are:

Theon as Reek

Theon's arc in ADWD alone puts him in the top spot for me.

I think Jaime, Davos, Arya, Jon, Tyrion and Catelyn are also written well.

I guess my loose top 10 would be:

1. Theon (solid #1, everything else is in no real order)

2) Theon Greyjoy

Up until I joined the forum I was feeling guilty about enjoying Theon`s ADWD chapters so much. I thought those were some, if not the best chapters in the entire series. I felt very relieved when I found out that I wasn`t the only one who liked them.

Up until I joined the forum I was feeling guilty about enjoying Theon`s ADWD chapters so much. I thought those were some, if not the best chapters in the entire series. I felt very relieved when I found out that I wasn`t the only one who liked them.

I skipped a head thru most of Theon's chapters in ADWD

1. Davos, for his depth of character, constant internal struggles and emotional attachment to readers. Especially since it's easy to write an evil character everyone hates but not easy to write a good character people will like.

2. Cersei as she is pretty much a Godsend to any author for her frustrating personality and you cannot help but read on when she is about.

3. Jon as he is developing in a manner that people can relate to, which many other characters don't have. He's the most "real" character other than Davos.

4. Varys, for his brilliantly intriguing role as a subtle, behind-the-scenes character.

5. Littlefinger, for the same reasons as Varys.

6. Robert, as he was actually a brilliantly engaging character and a suitably tragic almost-hero who creates his own demise.

7. Jaime, whose monologue in the bath completely changed his character and how the audience views him within minutes.

8. Stannis, whose steady rise to power has been balanced by his internal torment, especially following Renly's death.

9. Ned, who manages to be the perfect & frustrating protagonist who does the opposite of what the audience would.

10. Ghost, who manages to have character without saying a word.

ETA: Tyrion would've made the list before A Dance with Dragons, but his annoyingly repetitive recollection about his father's death got irritating the second time it was mentioned and infuriating by the twentieth.

I pretty much agree with these. However, Theon would be in there for his constant conflict over identity.

Also, Robb (and his plot) was very well written, he was a character with a tragic demise that most authors wouldn't dare create.

You really missed out on a lot.

I'm sorry, worded that wrong, I skipped other chapters to read ahead in Theon's chapters -- I couldn't get enough of his chapters, I needed to know he was gonna get through.

1. Theon

2. Jaime

3. Aeron ( one of the most unique character, in the series. Dark thoughts, and author hints at much dark stuff in future books)

4. Victarion - the level of hate and love, he can inspire in reader, makes him a controversial.

5. Stannis

6. Tyrion - his dance and storm arc is brilliant.

7. catylen

8. Jorah

9. Davos

10. Varys/Littlefinger

wanted to throw victarion in, but saw you just did. i just love the pure ignorance of the man

Archived