Top 10 Best Written Characters?

Pinkie Baelish

1)Theon - probably my favourite book character ever. His chapters are unbeatable on a psychological level, especially on DoD.

2)Jaime - who would have thought that the petulant prick who pushed Bran would become such a rich character?

3)Davos - it's hard to make a character loved almost unanimously and overcome the potential corniness but GRRM does just that.

4)Brienne - she is despised by many but I think Brienne is a greater feminist archetype that Dany ever was. I love the contradictions and thoughts in her chapters.

5)Roose Bolton - everytime he is in scene I feel an uneasy sensation. He is the perfect villain.

6)Tyrion - it's obvious that he is Martin's favourite character.

7)Sansa - I love the evolution she is experimenting and I cannot wait to see what she is gonna do next.

8)Jon Snow - we grew with him and it's difficult not to empathize with the Lord Commander.

9) Arya - to be honest I should of put her higher. Her chapter are always intriguing and absorbing.

10) Stannis - I love Stannis, his inner conflicts and his iron will are just on another level. And the best thing is that he is surrounded by such a compelling companions as Melisandre and Davos.

Honorable mentions: Lord Baelish, Varys, Ned, Asha, Victarion, Cat, Tywin, Black Fish, Damphair and the Hound.

Just wanted to say I admire GRRM's ability not only to write female characters - there must be a degree of difficulty to write well about the opposite gender - but also to write subtle, varied characters, and also to write them differently between how they see themselves to how others see them, They are warts and all and above all their own characters - he doesn't put them in conventional boxes. I'm grateful.

Favs:I like the ones who stick out from the pack

1) Jon, 2) Arya, 3) Brienne 4) Sam 5) Davos

Ok I'll bite.

Why Areo Hotah at number 2?

He gives a great outsiders view of Dorne, so the reader is already in his shoes to begin with, and his thought on Dorne set the scene remarkably well for me. And he's an unsung badass IMO!

He gives a great outsiders view of Dorne, so the reader is already in his shoes to begin with, and his thought on Dorne set the scene remarkably well for me. And he's an unsung badass IMO!

But we're given virtually no insight into his character whatsoever. Naming him one of the best written seems a bit ridiculous.

1. Brienne: The way her thoughts are described is touching and believable. Especially her constant distrust of nearly everyone around her. For me at least she is a near perfect depiction of a victim of bullying.
2. Arya: In my eyes at least she behaves like a child. An extremly stubborn child whose stubborness just seems to get stronger the more life treats her unfairly.
3. Brandon: A sweet, little boy who perhaps is a little bit eager which results in hurting those he loves.
4: Eddard: Loyality, short-sightedness and a deep belief in doing what is right no matter the consquences.
5: Stannis: The boy who never smiled. Who grew up to be a man of iron who is utterly obsessed by justice. He is not perfect in that manner and has done many unjust things. Though he does try and he never gives up.
6: Theon: A treasure of a character. His transformation hsi probably one of the best parts of the books.
7: Davos: The epitome of loyalty.
8: Sandor Clegane: Probably one of the most tragic characters in the series. Nearly every word he utters seems to be filled with pain. A man who never seems to be at peace and who seems to dislike everything. Yet at the same time pities and protects a child from the harshness of the world.
9: Petyr Baelish: Manipulative, intelligent, cruel and completly without scruples.
10: Jaime Lannister: An odd combination of selfishness, passion, strength and weakness. Who idols and despises those who proclaim that they are just. His relationship with Brienne is sweet.

Though truth to be told they are a little bit hard to rate. Most of the characters are fairly well-written. Honorary mentions are: Mace Tyrell: A lovely buffoon. High Sparrow: How can someone be so utterly fearless? Olenna Tyrell: Clever, cruel and loyal to her family.

Archived