Small questions v.10007

Stubby

Before Robert's Rebellion house Baratheon's sigil was a crowned stag, they weren't the royal house nor were they historically kings. Is this an oversight or was there a reason they used a crowned stag?

The Durrendons, the Storm Kings in which the Baratheons married and took their sigil from, had a Crowned Stag. They just didn't change it.

The Durrendons, the Storm Kings in which the Baratheons married and took their sigil from, had a Crowned Stag. They just didn't change it.

Thanks, someone asked me the question and I didn't know the answer.

In ADWD, Val leaves the NW to find Thormund. When she leaves she has grey eyes but when she returns, her eyes are described as blue. Why this change. I don't remember any other character changing eye color.

Nice catch on the details. However, this is one of the continuity mistakes GRRM has confessed to and the principal reason Ran now checks details like this for GRRM prepublication.

I'm not sure which color was carried forward (probably blue) but the change meant nothing.

Who is currently the Lord, or Lady, of Casterly Rock? With Kevan dead, and Cersei out of power. Is it Tommen, technically?

Still Cersei. She may be a bit out of favour, but that doesn't mean that she's lost her titles and holdings.

Tommen would be next in line. As he's also king, it's probable that he'd bestow it on a member of his family (like Robert did with Storm's End and Dragonstone).

How many bastards does Theon have? I'm positive that girl on the ship that brought him to Pyke has one by him. Any others?

Girl on a ship was really just a passing character - so we can't know if she got pregnant or not.

Theon has no known bastards, although there is a theory that one of miller's boys (whom Theon killed in ACOK) was actually his son.

Can Robbs body be found/ returned to Winterfell. I suppose it might not be that hard to find the only two cross species bodies in a pile. I really do not want the first King in the North for 300 years to still be lying near the Freys...

I would think so. Despite the fact that they took off his head and sewed GW's on in its place, they wouldn't get rid of those bodies; they are horrifically proud of taking down the KitN.

A friend (completely new to ASOIAF) asked me the following when I told her about maesters:

What if they're only a master of one thing? They just have a full chain of the same material?

I thought she had a good point. If a maester has only created one link for mastery of a single field, does he wear it? Or does he just keep it somewhere until he can actually make a chain?

The only mentioned one who did not forge a "complete" chain that could be worn around the neck is Oberyn, if I'm not mistaken. It is not mentioned whether he wears it or not.

I speculate that in order to become a maester a certain amount of links has to be forged; a maester who only possesses knowledge on one specific field would not be much of a maester.

A friend (completely new to ASOIAF) asked me the following when I told her about maesters:

I thought she had a good point. If a maester has only created one link for mastery of a single field, does he wear it? Or does he just keep it somewhere until he can actually make a chain?

They wouldn't be a Maester with only one link, they would still only be an acolyte. They don't become a Maester until they have a full chain made up of different metals.

I've got a few small questions. Thanks in advance to those who can answer them for me ;).

1) If Lords and heirs and such are forced to renounce the claims/titles when they join the Kingsguard, Lewyin Martell being called Prince is all but a formality? And who ruled Dorne as Paramount Lord in his stead? His sister perhaps? While surely Lordships in Dorne may go to women per Dornish laws, I'm sure it's not the same when talking about Paramount Lords.

2) Why does Janos Slynt entitles himself Lord or thinking himself a higher authority than most (or even Lord of Harrenhal *grasp*) after he joins the Night's Watch? Isn't he supposed to abdicate of all claims to land and title and such?

2) Why does Janos Slynt entitles himself Lord or thinking himself a higher authority than most (or even Lord of Harrenhal *grasp*) after he joins the Night's Watch? Isn't he supposed to abdicate of all claims to land and title and such?

He's displayed zero interest in becoming a true member of the night's watch. He's just doing his own thing there and doesn't care about the rules.

He's displayed zero interest in becoming a true member of the night's watch. He's just doing his own thing there and doesn't care about the rules.

But I'm confused on why the others seem to accept him as such (or at least at the start)? Is it because he claims he has friends in court? God, I'm re-reading SoS to refresh my hate on that individual.

Archived