Small questions v.10007

Stubby

I don't think that is true, as she would hold value to many other houses who are always sizing up the opportunity to move up in the world. It always seemed to me to be a poorly kept secret, the lords and ladies know but can't do much about it. At least a couple of the higher end lords seemed to have a good idea it was all a sham.

How? Only some will have a realistic chance of a marriage (they need an appropriately aged son for example), and even then it's not the little girl herself that's important but only the fact that she exists and will one day become old enough to marry (though not for many years). Traditionally, daughters are usually married (and pacted) off eldest to youngest if possible, so if they have any ambitions, they are more likely to focus on Sansa first (who also conveniently at least isn't the very last in line of the 5 Stark kids).

So there seems to be no reason to use their rare visit to Winterfell to stalk the lord's youngest daughter instead of using the opportunity to forge a good relationship or raise issues with the lord himself. Still, as I said, some may nevertheless have noticed how she looked like in enough detail to cause them to doubt fArya's ID - though that's really not an issue you would raise with the Boltons.

Are there any other known examples of what happened to Hardhome and Valyria? Do we know if these events happen every 300 years?

ASFAIK, no. But, we don't know anything at all about Hardhome, and very little about Valyria- The Kindly Man implied that the Faceless Men had something to do with the Doom of Valyria.

Wouldn't the northern lords have known that fake Arya wasn't Arya since over the years they had to have visited Winterfell?

You'll find answers to this and many others questions about the Northern lords in the Northern Conspiracy threads. This is the most recent, which links past iterations;

I think Ser C is on to something. IMO, many of the Lords (led by Manderley) are aware of the sham. The reasons may range from knowing Arya Stark's true age, noticing that fArya has neither the Stark nor Tully look, having seen real Arya (ie the Cerwyns) to simply not trusting the Boltons.

In any case, I think at this point any Freys north of the Neck and ultimately the Boltons and their supporters should be VERY VERY worried. Winter is Coming.

;)

From whom did the R + L = J theory originate, and when did this become a theory?

There has been a named RLJ thread on this board since 2006. The "theory" extends much further back since people can figure it out on their own just from the hints in AGoT.

To be precise, it originated with GRRM ;)

Is there archived speculation from the early days of the series that can be found somewhere? Like between AGOT and ACOK?

I think ACoK and maybe ASoS had been released before this site was set up, and I believe there was a significant change (new server maybe?) after AFfC was released. So no, not the early days I don't think.

what religion did the targaryens practice before they came to westeros and converted to the faith of the 7?

I don't think it's ever stated - at least not by name. They followed the gods of Valyria.

Is there archived speculation from the early days of the series that can be found somewhere? Like between AGOT and ACOK?

IIRC The archives only go back to late 2005 early 2006 when they moved to this format. The site had been up a few years before that, but not as far back as 1997.

Archived