[BOOK SPOILERS] Jaime?

Rashtibram

Brienne is hardly a 'Stark Loyalist'. In the beginning she's a Renly loyalist, then kills Renly men, then kills Stark men, then has a lot of bonding/interaction with Jamie. She has a bunch of adventures later on which have nothing to do with Starks either.

You kind of skipped over the whole "sworn to Catelyn Stark/searching tirelessly for her daughters" thing. Brienne at the wedding of King Joffrey, after the Lannisters were complicit at the Red Wedding at which Catelyn Stark was murdered? I don't see Brienne being happy to get her invitation to that one either.

Brienne is hardly a 'Stark Loyalist'. In the beginning she's a Renly loyalist, then kills Renly men, then kills Stark men, then has a lot of bonding/interaction with Jamie. She has a bunch of adventures later on which have nothing to do with Starks either.

ok, maybe she isn't the "perfect" definition of a Stark loyalist, but she serves a Stark (I serve lady Catelyn)

Well fuck me dead.

I didnt even think of this. This means we wont get Jaime chewing out the rest of the Kingsguard for letting Joffrey die. A pity, I liked that scene.

yeah, that's the part that bothers me - Jaime is now part of the failure to keep the king alive. Based on what we see from the book, HE should be the one testing food going forward.

Maybe we'll get a scene where Jaime realises Joffrey is a little fucker and nothing more "than a squirt of seed in Cersei's cunt".

I hope they have him say that line.

While it would be a nice nod to the book, he's still the king and Jaime's responsibility is to keep him alive.

This, thank you. It was never meant to be a reunion like in The Notebook. It's meant to be an unhealthy relationship between them, not some romantic love story.

I don't know how you can take 15 seconds of a scene and surmise that it's now a healthy romantic moment.

No one said anything, Cersei was shocked that he was here. She does love Jamie, she's just crazy and manipulative.

I've met plenty of people who reacted lovingly to a person they hadn't seen in a while, then let out their rage on them five minutes later.

Crazy people are unpredictable and this doesn't make their relationship any less unhealthy or volatile. She hasn't even had enough time to react to his stump, she's still in shock.

This, thank you. It was never meant to be a reunion like in The Notebook. It's meant to be an unhealthy relationship between them, not some romantic love story.

I don't know how you can take 15 seconds of a scene and surmise that it's now a healthy romantic moment.

No one said anything, Cersei was shocked that he was here. She does love Jamie, she's just crazy and manipulative.

I've met plenty of people who reacted lovingly to a person they hadn't seen in a while, then let out their rage on them five minutes later.

Crazy people are unpredictable and this doesn't make their relationship any less unhealthy or volitile. She hasn't even had enough time to react to his stump, she's still in shock.

Crazy people are unpredictable and this doesn't make their relationship any less unhealthy or volitile. She hasn't even had enough time to react to his stump, she's still in shock.

No, you're misreading me. In the books their reunion is over the top, dramatic and completely sick which is a mirror to their relationship. In the show it was emotional and gentle... Which is a mirror of what, exactly?

I think Brienne will be in the cells during the PW. There's no way she's at the wedding, or she becomes a suspect too.

Did Loras come out and say he was sure she didn't kill Renly? I'm sure she could be put in cells for any other reason, but can't remember if that is all ready off of the table or not. If he didn't say it, then there is an easy out - course since Loras is taking a different path than what had happened, not even sure if he cares anymore.

No, you're misreading me. In the books their reunion is over the top, dramatic and completely sick which is a mirror to their relationship. In the show it was emotional and gentle... Which is a mirror of what, exactly?

Yeah, Nicholas Sparks.

Do you think one of them will get cancer?

Did Loras come out and say he was sure she didn't kill Renly? I'm sure she could be put in cells for any other reason, but can't remember if that is all ready off of the table or not. If he didn't say it, then there is an easy out - course since Loras is taking a different path than what had happened, not even sure if he cares anymore.

Loras said it to Margaery, I believe. But I think Cersei will be the one to have her put in a cell. If not for Renly, some other made-up charge, kidnapping Jaime or something.

So from the preview (

) it looks like Jaime is arriving in King's Landing next episode. This means he will arrive before the royal wedding. How do you guys think they'll manage this?

I can't quite tell judging by his one scene with Brienne.

They don't seem to know about the Red Wedding just yet, something it created quite a grief for them in the books. Loras is not hellbent to kill Brienne, something that put them firmly on the same side in the books.

My guess is, It could go as bad as Tyrion and Sansa or as great as Arya & The Hound.

I think Brienne will be in the cells during the PW. There's no way she's at the wedding, or she becomes a suspect too.

Then again, if she is also a suspect it gives Jaime a motivation to let her go. Something that seems missing this time around on the show.

At least, I can't picture this Jaime letting this Brienne go any time soon.

Loras said it to Margaery, I believe. But I think Cersei will be the one to have her put in a cell. If not for Renly, some other made-up charge, kidnapping Jaime or something.

OK, thanks.

yeah, they could farce it up so that Cersei blames Jaime's hand on her if he tells her they were fighting. Either way, somehow she needs to be out of the way so that she can't interfere with the Sansa escape (assuming we have an inkling of how it will happen - LF)

Although Jaime's return is premature, I don't think it totally screws up the timeline. This is how I see it:

- The brief Jaime/Cersei reunion scene was NOT too sweet. The small and brilliant thing NCW did was stand from afar, and after Cersei sees him, he instinctively looks down at his hand stump. He without many words conveyed his sense of being broken, his insecurity that he's not the guy Cersei was into, and the hope that Cersei still loves him. Despite these feelings, he is already on the road to change, so that he doesn't realize it yet, but he has already begun moving on beyond Cersei emotionally speaking.

Yup, I honestly think all of this was conveyed by the few motions, expressions and words NCW did. Brilliant.

- Jaime has only just arrived at KL. I think the PW will happen very early in S4, so that there is not that much time for Jaime to get back in the swing of things and have any real impact on trying to protect Joff and feeling guilt for failing. He will also see the true jerk that is his son.

- Whoever suggested Jaime will help Loras get into the KG I think is wrong. In the Cersei/Tyrion scene in this episode (S3:E10), Cersei smugly states she will not marry Loras since she is "not Tyrion". I think she has already orchestrated Loras joining the KG. As in the books, Brienne, now in KL, will have a confrontation with Loras, and Jaime's out for her will be arresting her. This lets Brienne avoid suspicion in the PW.

- Jaime will be shown from here on out on that downward spiral with Cersei that we all know about. This will happen over the course of the first several episodes of S4.

- I am looking forward to Jaime's fallout with Tywin, his renewed determination as a Kingsguard, saving Tyrion, and giving Brienne Oathkeeper.

Yeah, Nicholas Sparks.

Do you think one of them will get cancer?

Probably, or maybe they'll find out Jaime has Asperger's syndrome and Cersei will give him a book and help him connect with their father, like in Dear John.

I honestly don't know how they are going to play this out. Seems like the show is not really staying true to the books, and this is pretty major.

I felt that this last episode was the one that strayed from the books more strongly than others. Many storylines that have been set up are radically different than in the books.

Although Jaime's return is premature, I don't think it totally screws up the timeline. This is how I see it:

- The brief Jaime/Cersei reunion scene was NOT too sweet. The small and brilliant thing NCW did was stand from afar, and after Cersei sees him, he instinctively looks down at his hand stump. He without many words conveyed his sense of being broken, his insecurity that he's not the guy Cersei was into, and the hope that Cersei still loves him. Despite these feelings, he is already on the road to change, so that he doesn't realize it yet, but he has already begun moving on beyond Cersei emotionally speaking.

Cersei was smiling while cradling a shell, remembering him, then she looks at him full of emotions. It really was like a scene from a romantic novel at best and a soap at worst, and completely different than the books.

Jaime being back in KL now gives him more interactions with his family, but leaves Brienne in a pretty useless position. As a fan of Brienne as a character, I'm not too pleased with this.

To be fair the way the reunion happens in the book is so far beyond ridiculous that they couldn't do it. Given that they have been outed, Cercei cheated on him and is engarged to Loras, and that Jaimie lost his hand after having the rest of his reputation destroyed, I don't think a trepidation filled reunion is that surprising. It would have been weirder if they flung themselves into each other arms.

And I imagine the Kettleblacks are already out, but it's hard to imagine Cersei cheating any time soon with the warm fuzzy reunion.

They need to keep the Kettleblacks! What else is Jaime going to chant constantly about when thinking about Cersei cheating on him?

Archived