Are We Sure Howland Reed

My theory is Allyria Dayne born 282AL, Ned/Asharas first bastard.

Jon born 283AL, Ashara is the wetnurse at TOJ. She, Howland and Ned only know Jons true parentage.

Ned, Howland help Ashara fake her death and she becomes wetnurse "Wylla".

Before he leaves to go home and become Lord of Winterfell with his forced marriage to Cat, he impregnates "Wylla" giving birth to Edric.

Therefore Edric and Jon can be milk brothers, the secret of Jons indentity is kept to only 3 people, Howland, Ashara/wylla and Ned.

And the rumors of Ned fathering a bastard with Ashara and Wylla are actually true.

I think Bran will find out about R+L=J through weirwood flashback. That means Bloodraven knows too. But perhaps Bran will warg into a human and tell someone that way.

But I have this feeling Dany and Jon will join forces, then both die defeating the Others. And ending the Targaryen line when they do. So Jon's parentage will never be broadly known.

I'm surprised nothing has been mentioned of the KG...I always 'felt' that Jaime and Barristan knew something was up, or maybe I'm just overly suspicious and read too much in their interactions/dialogue. If so, guilty as charged.

Howland and immediate family, yes.

Two remaining of Aerys the Mad's Kingsguard, yes.

Benjen, yes.

3EC, yes.

Maester Aemon most likely kept in touch with Rhaegar (because of the shared interest in the prophesy), so probably yes. I can see Rhaegar telling Aemon that he'd found the missing piece to the puzzle.

• 11 months later...

Honestly no. Benjen might have figured it out on his own but I don't see Ned telling him.

Benjen was probably shrewd enough to know that if Ned was too nervous to get up from the table to ask a girl to dance, then it would be unlikely that he could get one into bed. Benjen also knows his brother Ned to be an honorable, dutiful man. Besides, Benjen could have likely known about the truth about Rhaegar and Lyanna's relationship at Harrenhal given how close he was with Lyanna, with Ned and Brandon being fostered away, Benjen was likely Lyanna's only sibling at WF. Jon arrived after Ned had come back from Dorne, and Benjen knew Ashara couldn't be the mother, and Wylla and Ned had never met up to that point, with Ned likely staying only a few months in Dorne, too short to conceive a child and carry it to term.

Ned likely didn't tell him for the same reason he didn't tell Cat, if Benjen knew he could be charged with treason as well.

So Wylla's pregnancy of Edric lasted for a year or 5?

No. All that takes is another pregnancy around the right time to be able to nurse Edric as well.

I doubt Varys knows. I'm sure if he did he'd have attempted to have Jon murdered.

Are you kidding? A real, live Targaryen right there in Westeros? He would have been scheming to put him on the throne somehow.

Darkstar knows. Which of course means Doran also knows. This is why Gerold Dayne is the most dangerous man in Dorne.

In decreasing order of probability who know r+l=j

Howland- Definitly beyond any doubt

Ashara- If she is alive

Wyalla - If she is alive (we dont know,or do we ?)

Benjen - if he knew lyanna was running away with Rhaegar, he may have figured out on his own. Ned telling him is highly unlikely.

Jojen Meera- After Ned's death Howland was last surviving person knowing the truth. He may have told them and sent them North.

I was thinking about this the other day actually. Perhaps Benjen did know, but not through Ned. There is precedent in the books for people hiding out in the crypts at Winterfell. What if Rhaegar and Lyanna spent a little time down there, just long enough for Dad to get called to KL, leaving Benjen as 'the Stark in Winterfell', and time for Lyanna to reveal herself to Benjen, and tell him what was going on and where they were going. (From Bran's vision, we know they were close). Not sure of the time line, but even if she wasn't already pregnant, I think after hearing of even a small amount of the details of what happened at the TOJ, Benjen could've put two and two together and come up with Jon Snow. Also had a passing thought that Jamie will come across something in the White Book of the kingsguard which prompts him to the suspicion, if not realisation. Something like an entry which reads that 'such and such (Arthur Dayne?) presided/ was witness to the marriage of the crown prince' with a date which indicates it is not referring to his marriage to Elia of Dorne. I can't believe Barristan doesn't have any clue as to what his brothers of the kingsguard were doing at the TOJ either.

Archived