Would Robb make a good king?

Jon Snow R+L=J

The south is only as corrupt as the king allows.

Let a Stannis type hold the throne, after burning the court clean.

See how far games can go.

The problem with the south is there's too many political entities jostling about the court.

The kingsguard, the small council, the handship, etc.

All these purchasable positions means too many hand holds for social climbers.

Cut the bloated fat away, make the court lean and see how it can be a more just and honest south.

Main idea was separate from IT and game of thrones... Thats why poor Ned executed... Honor is not suitable for south...

Listen Greatjon :

Here is what I say to these two kings!” He spat. “ Renly Baratheon is nothing to me, nor Stannis neither. Why should they rule over me and mine, from some flowery seat in Highgarden or Dorne? What do they know of the Wall or the wolfswood or the barrows of the First Men? Even their gods are wrong. The Others take the Lannisters too, I’ve had a bellyful of them.” He reached back over his shoulder and drew his immense two-handed greatsword. “Why shouldn’t we rule ourselves again? It was the dragons we married, and the dragons are all dead!” He pointed at Robb with the blade. “There sits the only king I mean to bow my knee to, m’lords,” he thundered. “The King in the North!”

For North, Robb would be great king maybe the best. But story of GRRM needs to continue in north. With Robb, north would be boring (since he can get things done easily), thats why GRRM killed him...

With more experience I'm sure he would have made a great King- It's not his fault there are slippery Git's like Walder Frey and Roose Bolton around. He did inspire great loyalty from his men (minus the traitors and Karstarks) as they choose him to be raised to King and they defended him until the end (SmallJon). He was also a great battle strategist and dedicated to his job being the first one up in the mornings and last to bed.

However, his achilles' heel for being a King in Westeros was his 'honour' - a dangerous thing to have in the Game of Thrones. His honour made him marry Jeyne and looking on the political side he should have realised this was a poor choice- he could have created an alliance through marriage, putting the welfare of his kingdom before an individual's (and his own) welbeing.

However, I don't fault him for his flaws because they're also admirable (in the modern world he'd be a man of virtue) and he did well for one so young.

When he matured he would have made a great King- The King who fought for the North. However, he'd be King of The North, not wanting anything to do with the Iron Throne.

I completely agree!

IMO he seemed to have a cunning that his father didn't posses. Maybe from the Tully's? And not a cunning like Theon, a streets smarts so to speak. It gave him an edge in battle and with his dealings with the more politicly corrupt of the lot. He wasn't brittle like Ned could be, he would bend where is mattered. Tha'ts just what I thought, I was really gutted when GRRM killed him off. But I get why

Yeah he did. Jofferey isn't the rightful heir, so why would he bend the knee to him? If anything he did the honourable thing and just claimed the North as was his right to do in the current circumstances

I don't mean that law. The law that all traitors must die law

I really don't get such comments. Robb was in fact the King in the North. His reign was disastrous.

I would call 'disastrous' for Joffrey or Aerys.

He has talent for northern kingship. As a politician he was weak, but north does not need politic affairs like kings landing.

I would call 'disastrous' for Joffrey or Aerys.

He has talent for northern kingship. As a politician he was weak, but north does not need politic affairs like kings landing.

all of the stuff Robb screwed up with in politics applies to the north as well as the south.

Like, honour marriage arrangements, don't insult foreign leaders, don't get dragged into unsustainable wars, don't give up important hostages, being wary of Boltons etc.

It is true, going south is a death sentence for the Starks; The Ned, Robb, Jon, but that's symbol or a theme, nothing to do with the politics there.

all of the stuff Robb screwed up with in politics applies to the north as well as the south.

Like, honour marriage arrangements, don't insult foreign leaders, don't get dragged into unsustainable wars, don't give up important hostages, being wary of Boltons etc.

It is true, going south is a death sentence for the Starks; The Ned, Robb, Jon, but that's symbol or a theme, nothing to do with the politics there.

I totally agree with everything here.

Archived