[NO Book Spoilers please] Who is the Protagonist, Antagonist?

Musab

Protagonists: The Others- They want to wipe the scum off the face of Westeros.

Antagonists: The Dragons- The dragons will be the ones that'll try to stop them.

I'd be very diappointed if it would be that easy. I'm quite sure we'll get some background and a look at the intentions of the White Walkers.

On topic: GOT does not work like that. It has more sense to ask who will end up where or with whom and why.

I take issue with people saying there are no protagonists and antagonists

Yes there are but not in the way he asks this question. Half the characters are and most of them are both at the same time.

Five books in, and I have no idea if there is or will ever be a classic protagonist/antagonist storyline.

The overarching rule is: In the game of thrones, you either win or you die.

The unspoken corollary to this rules seems to be: No one actually wins (for very long).

Hey, new to the forum. Not sure if i am even posting it in the right place, but after seeing last Sunday's show, i am thoroughly confused o_O

I believed Ned Stark was the protagonist in the first Season

Then i Believed it was Robb Stark.

Now I think stark family isnt an Important family at all

(And I just bought a 50$ Tshirt with the stark Sigil on it :bang: . FML)

I do realize that Daenerys has an Important role to play and might inherit the throne and all!

But here should be some reason to having the Stark family in the series! Other than Just killing them! :/

With Rob gone, there is no Adult Male Stark guy left Alive! O_o

Don't expect them to win, but atleast should know who would avenge them! :/

I have a lot of Confusion with the antagonists aswell.

While the dwarf looks kind enough and that Jaime is being portrayed as a changed man as well, the grandfather daughter and king trio makes me sick!

All i am asking is

Who is the protagonist, the antagonist, and who would avenge the death of all those people.

No spoilers please. I just follow the TV-Series!

Dear Musab,

If you try to categorize and pigeon hole these characters, you will either go crazy or begin to hate the series. Just enjoy the story and see where it goes.

I strongly recommend you take the time to read the books. It will be the best 3000 pages you ever invested in yourself!

Love,

OE3000

Like other posters have said it changes with every season. I recommend reading the books. Each storyline has its own set of protagonist and antagonists. (Ex. Theon and Ramsay, Robb and Tywin, Tyrion and the world) things of that nature. That's all I can say without giving away much of the books.

Going by the series only and the first three seasons only, I would say:

Evil people:

- Ramsay Bolton

- Walder Frey

- Joffrey Baratheon

- The Others

- Gregor Clegane

- Viserys Targaryen

Good people:

- Ned Stark

- Syrio Forell

- Bran Stark

- Maester Luwin

- Davos Seaworth

- Brienne of Tarth

- Jon Snow

- Samwell Tarly

Most of the others are grey characters.

Stannis, Arya, and Dany are interesting characters that see themselves as protagonists, but could well be antagonists.

Stannis is just, and Westeros needs justice and rule of law, but what about mercy and compromise? Stannis follows a religion that has real power, but demands human sacrifice.

Dany has noble, good ideals of what a ruler should do for her people. But she acts on whims and lacks follow through, her footprints are filled with blood, and she wants to kill most of the other characters in the series.

Arya is a deeply disturbed child who believes in death and wants revenge. And we root for her. But what if she goes after somebody like Tyrion or Dany? What if she is manipulated to take out somebody important while they're doing good?

The game of thrones is like a chess game. People like Littlefinger, Varys, and Tywin try to move pieces (other people) around to their benefit. But the fantastical aspects break the rules of the chess game, so its all more complicated than that.

I think the answer to this depends on your definition of protagonist and antagonist. Some people see the distinction as good vs evil, so that's where a lot of discussion ends up, and that's still a valid discussion.

However, if we take protagonist and antagonist in the classical sense of the terms then the protagonist is the 'main' character, and the antagonist is the character that throws the protagonist into turmoil or conflict. The antagonist creates the obstacles to be overcome by the protagonist.

As a lot of you have said, it's difficult to narrow it down to one 'main' character.

How about this:

All the people in the story are protagonists. They all carry on with their normal lives. Their normal lives involve all the nonsense that comes along with being human - fights for power, worrying about where the next meal will come from.

Winter is the antagonist.

I know it's been said, but just to re-emphasize...

Do yourself a favor and READ the books. They will fill in SOOOO many gaps that can't be explained through the HBO adaptation. So much will become clearer to you after reading them. Then...read them again and you'll find even more clarity and a ton of connections you didn't notice the first time you read them.

Everybody makes their own opinons about who to support, when I was at that point in the story mine were (and it slightly changed) :

Antagonist - Daenerys, The Others (maybe), Dragons, Tywin, Freys, Boltons, Tyrion (maybe), anything Targaryen, most Lannisters

Protaganist - Stannis, Jon, Starks, Davos, the North&the Stormlands basically, Jaime&Brienne

I'd recommend you to read to books if you really want to be able to judge characters' motivations and actions, the show is good, but not enough good to describe accurately each character. (and some of the characters' personality is sligthly changed, but enough to change your opinion about them, Tyrion is one example)

Protagonist- House Stark, they are the ones that people should root for. However, as their story goes on they get darker and do acts considered dishonourable compared to their starting point.

While-

Antagonist- House Lannister, they start of as the bad guys but as the story goes on we see them become more redeemable or misunderstood.

Anti-Hero- House Targaryen, Dany does bad and sometimes brutal deeds to get where she wants or to bring justice/fairness.

However, I don't think the show has straight out 'good guys' and 'bad guys' minus the Others.

Archived