Last years was popular...Season 3 Over. Lets rate the new casting!

John Garnsey

My annual post =P

Who do you think was best and worst of the new season 3 cast? It can be based on their acting chops or how well they portrayed the character in your eyes, your choice!

Brynden "The Blackfish" Tully - Clive Russell

Edmure Tully - Tobias Menzies

Thoros of Myr - Paul Kaye

Beric Dondarrion - Richard Dormer

Selsye Florent - Tara Fitzgerald

Shireen Baratheon - Kerry Ingram

Mance Rayder - Ciaran Hinds

Orell - Mackenzie Crook

Tormund Giantsbane - Kristofer Hivju

Jojen Reed - Thomas Brodie-Sangster

Meera Reed - Ellie Kendrick

Missandei - Nathalie Emmanuel

Olenna Tyrell - Diana Rigg

Ramsay Snow - Iwan Rheon

Daario Naharis - Ed Skrein

Locke - Noah Taylor

Any other (talking) roles I'm forgetting.

I think Diana Rigg was a great Queen of Thorns, actually overall I think the casting for this season was phenomenal. I can't really think of any "bad" portryals. I suppose Ciaran Hinds didn't fit my vision of Mance and but that wasn't any bash on his acting ability. Same with Tormund...too serious compared to his book version. But they didn't have much to work with this season either. Iwan Rheon as Ramsay really knocked it out of the park as a sociopath whose scenes consisted of torture 24/7.

Best:Locke - Noah Taylor

Ramsay Snow - Iwan Rheon

Ok: Daario Naharis - Ed Skrein

Orell - Mackenzie Crook

Meh:Mance Rayder - Ciaran Hinds (more writers fault)

Edmure Tully - Tobias Menzies( same as above)

my opinion feel free to disagree

I liked most of them, but Ciaran Hinds was disappointing. I don't see Mance in him. Maybe he will get more screentime next season and I will change my opinion, but ATM, as much as I like him, I think that this isn't a good role for him.

Tobias Menzies did perfectly exactly what I wanted from Edmure: He told what was going on in his head with facial expression alone before and during his initial glimpses of Roslin. Still makes me laugh to think about it.

I'd probably support Diana Rigg in just about anything she ever does, even if she doesn't at all fit my conception of her character from the books. Her character is pretty stock though - not much to mess up, not much to do except crack clever one quip after the next.

I like both the Reeds, though something about Jojen seems a bit too future Oxford for me rather than swamp kid.

Iwan Rheon is a great Ramsay, but I really got sick of those scenes in the show.

I think show Daario is horrid, and probably half of that is my prejudice against his romance-novel-cover face more than anything particularly wrong with his acting. Dunno, but he is mismatched against the man who inspires Dany's lust that I was picturing when reading the books, who is in my mind a totally flamboyant but very attractive super swarthy weirdo in the looks and grooming dept.

Brynden "The Blackfish" Tully - Clive Russell - Brilliant! Absolutely nailed the character

- Another great casting

- Probably my

favourite, I just wish we got to see a lion hunt and the brotherhoods justice

- Really good but robbed of his finest moment in the book

- Bat s**t insane! Should have gotten more screen time

- Really good! I loved her exchanges with Davos

- Looked very promising at the start but had little to no screen time

Orell - Mackenzie Crook

- Really enjoyed this guy,

- Terrible but that was due to the writers giving him the personality of a

potatoe. He looked the part though!

- Worked well

- Same as Jojen

- Worked well but no stand out parts

- Brilliant! One of the best castings this season.

Ramsay Snow - Iwan Rheon

- Iwan absolutely nailed his character and gave him such a personality. Its all in his creepy eyes and facial exp

ressions.

- Pretty much nailed the character but I never really liked him to much

Locke - Noah Taylor

- Loved him! A great replacement for Vargo. His exchange with Jaime might be the best moment in S3.

I don't think they wrote the character particularly well, but Russell played what there was fine, and definitely looked the part.

Spot-on.

Initially didn't think much of him, but he really grew on me, even though he really doesn't look like I imagined the character.

Really good. Had a killer introductory scene.

Very different take on the character, but she acted it well. Only one scene, of course, but still good.

Adorable.

Kind of a disappointment, though that's probably more in the writing. Mance was very toned down, so there's little memorable about him.

Orell - Mackenzie Crook

Meh. Kind of an odd bit of casting, really, given the reasonably recognizable actor, in such an unmemorable part.

Definitely looks the part, but apart from one scene, very little to distinguish the character. That seems to be a theme with the Wildlings.

Both Reed siblings are nicely cast, although the show didn't have much for them to do.

Well-acted and likeable, though without any really standout scenes, as observed earlier in the thread.

Nailed the part, although they really need to be careful not to overuse this character (also, she's so obviously written to be a scene-stealer).

Ramsay Snow - Iwan Rheon

Perfect.

Much better than the character in the books, simply by not looking ridiculous.

Locke - Noah Taylor

Made for a good minor villain.

I think that the best new casting was Diana Rigg. She did a great job of playing a snarky, scheming grandmother, while also being just unique enough in the role to avoid being a ripoff of Maggie Smith's character in Downton Abbey.

Tobias Menzies did a great job as Edmure. Kindhearted, loyal, dutiful, but not the sharpest tool in the shed. I only wish we could have seen a scene with him after the RW.

Cieran Hinds had so much potential as Mance, but the writing failed him I think. He might not be the image that most had of Mance, but his acting ability speaks for itself, he definitely had the chops to pull off the role. But the writers just didn't give him enough quality material to work with IMHO. The scene that really stands out was in the third episode (I think), when Mance tells Jon how he united all the various wildlings factions. Rather than showing that Mance was very much like a southern king who united his people through politics, negotiations, battle, and charisma; instead he just says " I told them they would die." So much wasted potential.

Kristofer Hivju (I honestly don't have any idea how his name is spelled) as Tormund worked well. He wasn't as funny as book Tormund, and at first I didn't like that. But as the season went on he showed himself to be a definite leader and formidable leader of his wildlings.

Ramsay was perfect. Iwan Rheon (once again sp?) absolutely became terrifying as the season went on.

Thomas Brodie-Sangster and Ellie Kendrick were great as Jojen and Meera. My only issue is they were underused.

Clive Russell was pretty good as the Blackfish. Although perhaps the thing that intrigues me most is how they pointed out that he escaped the RW.

Ed Skrein was excellent as Daario. I was never a huge fan, nor hater, of his character in the books. But I actually found myself liking him in the show. At very least I can totally understand why Dany would lust after him.

I think my favorite was Thoros however. Another slight departure from the books, in that by the time of SoS Thoros is much more serious than he was in the show. But Kaye just brought the perfect level of humor, and seriousness at the same time. Once again, I only wish we could have had one more scene with him.

My annual post =P

Who do you think was best and worst of the new season 3 cast? It can be based on their acting chops or how well they portrayed the character in your eyes, your choice!

Best:

Ramsay Snow - Iwan Rheon: Agree or disagree with the content, but Rheon was brilliant as the psychopathic sadist gleefully enjoying his work. I also disagree with those who say he's too handsome or whatever to pull off Ramsay - dude played this scary as fuck.

Locke - Noah Taylor: This one surprised me. Taylor is by all accounts a very good actor, but his performances jumped off the screen in each scene as Locke. He provided a lot of nuance and comic timing to what could have been a one-note villain.

Thoros of Myr - Paul Kaye: Always a difficult character for me to get a read on in the books, Kaye played Thoros with a great mix of charm, wit and melancholy. Like Taylor he threatened to steal every scene he was in.

Olenna Tyrell - Diana Rigg: A professional in every way. She didn't play the role exactly how I had in mind, but I didn't care - she was a joy to watch.

Worst:

Mance Rayder - Ciaran Hinds: A very good actor either miscast, or underprepared. His opening scene with Jon was OK; beyond that (and arguably, even then) he was just plain and unmemorable. This may be a function of writing and directing, but I read an interview with Hinds back last year when he basically said he was handed the script on a short timeframe and went in not knowing anything about how to play the character. Hopefully he's acquainted himself better with the role and will provide a more convincing performance in S4. Plus, no Iceland, which I'm sure will help.

For me Paul Kaye Thoros was the best, as they took someone who really doesn't look too much or sound too much the part and made him possibly better than the book counterpart, which is very hard to do.

I think Kristofer Hivju as Tormund was excellent, he was just written to be somewhat unmemorable. The actor I have great faith in if they decide to make Tormund continually more likable.

Honestly IMO the casting was great, I just think that some characters's style was developed poorly by the show.

Ciaran Hinds is a great actor and it's not his fault that Mance was so wrongly built. The same applies for the new cast that some may deem as weak.

For me Paul Kaye Thoros was the best, as they took someone who really doesn't look too much or sound too much the part and made him possibly better than the book counterpart, which is very hard to do.

I think Kristofer Hivju as Tormund was excellent, he was just written to be somewhat unmemorable. The actor I have great faith in if they decide to make Tormund continually more likable.

I agree, Thoros was the best. Also liked the Locke character.

I have been underwhelmed by Diana Rigg's portrayal and don't really like what Iwan has done w/Ramsey.

Mance, what with being in the wilding old folks home most of the season, doesn't count, he was on screen about 3 mintutes.

The Mance Rayder thing is odd because Dominic West said in an interview that he turned the role down because it was a six-month commitment in Iceland, which suggests the role was originally much more significant. It doesn't take months to film three or four short scenes. Maybe after West turned it down they scaled the role back in order to get a commiment from Hinds - they're both big names with (I imagine) busy schedules.

Best:

Thoros of Myr - Paul Kaye.

Nailed, just as I imagined the red priest and actor did great.

Ramsay - Iwan Rheon.

I mean how psycho does he look?! BEST casting of the season IMO.

Beric - Richard Dormer

I think he did great. He did look like resurrected couple times though he could've been made look little bit more "dead".

Bad:

Mance Rayder - Ciaran Hinds.

One of the most profilic actors on the show, Ciaran did great but after 2 seasons of build-up I expected more. In the future I hope he grows little thicker beard and saves a little of Mance.

Tormund Giantsbabe - Kristofer Hivju.

I didn't like how angry he was, like "killing crows is what we do" and his fondness to Jon didn't come up (only the Sex-ed scene with the only HARs) and I always thought of him more kindly.

Archived