Last years was popular...Season 3 Over. Lets rate the new casting!

John Garnsey

I have to admit that this season`s casting was nicely done, and I have no big problems with any of them. However, the ones who screw things up, are writers. Basically, they brought bunch of new characters and left their storyarcs unfold. The writing was far worse than casting.

Whom I loved and whom I hated?

Brynden "The Blackfish" Tully - Clive Russell - great cast, good acting, terrible writing for the character. I still don`t get who he escaped fro RW

Edmure Tully - Tobias Menzies - not bad, but I feel like something`s missing...

Thoros of Myr - Paul Kaye - he`s such cool character. Way cooler than what I expected him to be.

Beric Dondarrion - Richard Dormer - I like him better than the usual badasses in the Westeros. He was great...

Selsye Florent - Tara Fitzgerald - can`t form some opinion...

Shireen Baratheon - Kerry Ingram - she was so cute, and I really liked her

Mance Rayder - Ciaran Hinds - we expected a lot, and got nothing close. He will be good Mance, once writing is better

Orell - Mackenzie Crook - good, nothing special.

Tormund Giantsbane - Kristofer Hivju - this guy nailed it. Almost perfect. he has the perfect look, and that beard, my god. I wish I have one like that...

Jojen Reed - Thomas Brodie-Sangster - good. I liked him, he has something misterious about him

Meera Reed - Ellie Kendrick - not bad, but nothing too special

Missandei - Nathalie Emmanuel - good

Olenna Tyrell - Diana Rigg - this one troubled me the most pre-season (she wasn`t Maggie Smith). And then she appeared. Perfection.

Ramsay Snow - Iwan Rheon - trying too much. Acting is supposed to be natural.

Daario Naharis - Ed Skrein - just anouther eye candy for the ladies.

Locke - Noah Taylor - meh.

Great

-Diana Rigg as QoT- I'm glad they used her as much as they did. QoT is too memorable a character to just have in one scene

-Noah Taylor as Locke- I'm sorry, but if they did the lisping, slobbering Vargo Hoat, it would have been ridiculous. Locke was a fantastic substitute.

-Paul Kaye as Thoros- I'm sure he's not what anyone pictured, but he was great.

-Iwan Rheon as Ramsay- Phenomenal. Not really gross looking like book Ramsay, but did an absolutely amazing job.

Good

-Kerry Ingram as Shireen- They succeeded again with child casting. Ingram basically filled her roll well.

-Richard Dormer as Beric- Good, but nothing really all that special.

-Tobias Menzies as Edmure- Once again good, but not that special. It's a shame the writers made him seem like an insufferable oaf with no intelligence whatsoever. In fact, that is one of my biggest complaints of the season.

-Thomas Broadie-Sangster as Jojen- Good. He was able to make Jojen seem mysterious enough. The Reeds were given an awesome intro too.

-Nathalie Emmanuel as Missandei- Good for what the role demanded.

-Anton Lesser as Qyburn- I got the creepy vibe I got when I read about Qyburn, so I think he succeeded.

Okay/Cant form opinion

-Ellie Kendrick as Meera- Alright. Didn't do much that sways me to either direction. Has the look, though.

-Kristofer Hivju as Tormund- I was apparently one of suprisingly few who didn't mind Hivju's portrayal of the Giantsbane. But hopefully we'll see his lighter side in the future.

-Mackenzie Crook as Orell- Okay, especially since Orell was a more minor character.

-Ciaran Hinds as Mance- We honestly didn't see much of Mance, so I'm holding off my opinion for now.

-Tara Fitzgerald as Selyse- Boy, she was spooky as shit. Unfortunately we only got one scene with her.

-Philip McGinley as Anguy- Didn't see much of him, but was okay.

-Tom Brooke as Lame Lothar- Didn't have much to do other than a few words and a few stabbings

-Tim Plester as Black Walder- See Lame Lothar

-Jacob Anderson as Grey Worm- Really nothing to work with. Fight scenes were cool.

Didn't Really Care For

-Ed Skrein as Daario- Maybe he nailed the role, maybe he didn't. I just don't like seeing Daario on screen.

-Clive Russell as Blackfish- Maybe its what he had to work with, but I hated every second the Blackfish was on screen. That might go back to my complaints with Edmure's writing, as the BF treats him like a retard.

Brynden "The Blackfish" Tully - Clive Russell

I was expecting more badassery, but I'm quite content with what I've got. I hope we'll get to see him escaping from Riverrun.

Edmure Tully - Tobias Menzies

His awkwardness was so enjoyable. Tobias Menzies has adorable pouty face.

Thoros of Myr - Paul Kaye

Definetly not how I've imagined the character, but I'm not complaining. :P I think Paul Kaye made me like the Thoros of Myr.

Beric Dondarrion - Richard Dormer

I liked the change - Beric Dondarrion not being the young and (formerly) handsome knight with red-gold hair, but the true badass with a cool eyepatch.

Selsye Florent - Tara Fitzgerald

The actress in one scene she managed to show all the craziness and sick religous fanatism of Selsye. Good choice, even if the series!Selsye lacks the mustache.

Shireen Baratheon - Kerry Ingram

She's probably the most adorable thing ever. I've rewatched all her scenes few times.

Mance Rayder - Ciaran Hinds

Oh boy, I like Ciaran Hinds, but not in this role...I still have a hope that maybe in the future I'll get used to him as Mance.

Orell - Mackenzie Crook

Quite fine, but even in the books Orell was quite boring character.

Tormund Giantsbane - Kristofer Hivju

Awesome casting choice. He's just like I've imagined Tormund and I'm waiting impatiently for the next seasons to see more of his awesomeness.

Jojen Reed - Thomas Brodie-Sangster

Funny thing, while reading A Clash of Kings for the first time I've imagined Jojen looking like Thomas Brodie-Sangster. :D

Meera Reed - Ellie Kendrick

So far not bad, but I feel we've seen too little of her in the 3rd season.

Missandei - Nathalie Emmanuel

At first she seemed too old for my liking, but I've grown fond of her. :)

Olenna Tyrell - Diana Rigg

I'm of The Avengers (the British TV show), so I was pretty excited when I've hear Diana Rigg will be playing Queen of Thorns. After watching the third season I can safetly say that in my eyes she fits that role perfectly.

Ramsay Snow - Iwan Rheon

Awesome choice. I've never thought I'll enjoy seeing Ramsay's scenes in series so much.

Daario Naharis - Ed Skrein

Not bad, but I really can't stand Daario as a character. He looks way hotter in the series, but I kinda wish he had his ridiculous beard and a gold tooth...

Locke - Noah Taylor

Nice substitute for Vargo Hoat.

Grey Worm - Jacob Anderson

I loved the scenes with Grey Worm and he looks pretty close (but more handsome) to what I had imagined him looking like in the books.

Qyburn - Anton Lesser

Can't wait to see more of him...especially the scenes with Cersei.

The closest I have to complaints regarding the casting this season would be Ciaran Hinds and Iwan Rheon - and it's funny that I started the season so pumped about them too. I'm not sure if it's the writing for the characters making them feel underwhelming or the acting.

Everyone else - absolutely perfect. Even bit parts like Anguy, Black Walder and Lame Lothar, and (especially) Locke were played to perfection and instantly memorable by looks and manner alone. Speaking of Locke, even as such a minor character Noah Taylor was one of the stand-outs of the season, to me.

My top three this season would probably be Diana Rigg (duh), Tobias Menzies, and Paul Kaye, but as I mentioned - most all the new cast members were amazing. Honorable mentions go to Kristofer Hivju, Kerry Ingram (omg somehow made Shireen even more loveable), and the two (Brodie-Sangster/Kendrick) playing the Reeds.

The closest I have to complaints regarding the casting this season would be Ciaran Hinds and Iwan Rheon - and it's funny that I started the season so pumped about them too. I'm not sure if it's the writing for the characters making them feel underwhelming or the acting.

That's how I felt about Iwan Rheon. Ciaran Hinds was underwhelming because he was hardly in season three and there was so much build up to the character all throughout season two. His performance, while not bad by any means, wasn't very distinguishing or memorable either. But concerning Iwan, I really can't pinpoint exactly what it is that disappointed me. I like him well enough but Ramsay was such a huge character to me in the books. He really seemed like he was pure evil when I read about the things he did to Lady Hornwood, Rodrik Cassel, the original Reek, and all his captives. In the series, he focuses purely on Theon and he comes off as a little shit like Joffrey, when in reality, he is something far far worse. I always imagined Ramsay like this but a little younger. He's ugly and putrid looking; not pretty like Iwan. He's also fierce and physically frightening when he's in a rage. I can't see Iwan imitating that same kind of menacing aura on screen. He's on the same par with Joff and Viserys at this point in the series. Hopefully we'll get to see him abuse other people next season besides Theon and instill raw fear in them through savagery in a plausible way. Still waiting to see Iwan flip shit as Ramsay before giving my final assessment on him.

Am I the only one who did not like Iwan Rheon that much? I don't know if it's because there were too many torture scenes or just because, compared to many of his partners, he isn't that great. The only time I liked him was in the sausage scene, the rest were not quite convincing to me.

Also felt dissapointed with Hinds' Mance.

Diana Rigg is absolutely the best.

Am I the only one who did not like Iwan Rheon that much? I don't know if it's because there were too many torture scenes or just because, compared to many of his partners, he isn't that great. The only time I liked him was in the sausage scene, the rest were not quite convincing to me.

Like him or not, he had one of the best lines in the enitre show.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

Brynden "The Blackfish" Tully - Clive Russell

I was expecting more badassery, but I'm quite content with what I've got. I hope we'll get to see him escaping from Riverrun.

Edmure Tully - Tobias Menzies

His awkwardness was so enjoyable. Tobias Menzies has adorable pouty face.

Thoros of Myr - Paul Kaye

Definetly not how I've imagined the character, but I'm not complaining. :P I think Paul Kaye made me like the Thoros of Myr.

Beric Dondarrion - Richard Dormer

I liked the change - Beric Dondarrion not being the young and (formerly) handsome knight with red-gold hair, but the true badass with a cool eyepatch.

Selsye Florent - Tara Fitzgerald

The actress in one scene she managed to show all the craziness and sick religous fanatism of Selsye. Good choice, even if the series!Selsye lacks the mustache.

Shireen Baratheon - Kerry Ingram

She's probably the most adorable thing ever. I've rewatched all her scenes few times.

Mance Rayder - Ciaran Hinds

Oh boy, I like Ciaran Hinds, but not in this role...I still have a hope that maybe in the future I'll get used to him as Mance.

Orell - Mackenzie Crook

Quite fine, but even in the books Orell was quite boring character.

Tormund Giantsbane - Kristofer Hivju

Awesome casting choice. He's just like I've imagined Tormund and I'm waiting impatiently for the next seasons to see more of his awesomeness.

Jojen Reed - Thomas Brodie-Sangster

Funny thing, while reading A Clash of Kings for the first time I've imagined Jojen looking like Thomas Brodie-Sangster. :D

Meera Reed - Ellie Kendrick

So far not bad, but I feel we've seen too little of her in the 3rd season.

Missandei - Nathalie Emmanuel

At first she seemed too old for my liking, but I've grown fond of her. :)

Olenna Tyrell - Diana Rigg

I'm of The Avengers (the British TV show), so I was pretty excited when I've hear Diana Rigg will be playing Queen of Thorns. After watching the third season I can safetly say that in my eyes she fits that role perfectly.

Ramsay Snow - Iwan Rheon

Awesome choice. I've never thought I'll enjoy seeing Ramsay's scenes in series so much.

Daario Naharis - Ed Skrein

Not bad, but I really can't stand Daario as a character. He looks way hotter in the series, but I kinda wish he had his ridiculous beard and a gold tooth...

Locke - Noah Taylor

Nice substitute for Vargo Hoat.

Grey Worm - Jacob Anderson

I loved the scenes with Grey Worm and he looks pretty close (but more handsome) to what I had imagined him looking like in the books.

Qyburn - Anton Lesser

Can't wait to see more of him...especially the scenes with Cersei.

Would say that I almost entirely agree with Lady Adventurer, except for Tormund, not nearly enough Hars for my liking and not cuddly enough and Daario, who I actually find unattractive especially when he opens his mouth. This is quite ironic because unlike most I like book Daario and can now understand how they feel when watching him, grrrr.

Paul Kaye was superb.As Ser Selmy described him: "Bloody Mad man"

His roles as Dennis Penis and Frankie Wilde really did make him look good but this really shot him out of the park :D

Orell did good too.I didn't like him in the PotC but here he really grew on me.

Would say that I almost entirely agree with Lady Adventurer, except for Tormund, not nearly enough Hars for my liking and not cuddly enough

I'm sorry, but it's not even possible it say "Har!" without it sounding terrible or like a cheesy pirate. Go ahead, try it! That said, I would have liked him to have been friendly from the beginning. He did warm up later on though, and he was pretty jolly in The Climb and Bear and Maiden Fair.

Overall the new cast did a great job, though Ciaran Hinds was badly miscast as Mance. Not sure who, how or why they gave him this role, he's an ideal powerful man (played a Russian president and Caesar, for example) but not a "wild" powerful man. Dominic West would've been even worse.

Diana Rigg was the best of the new cast for me. To be honest it was a part that would be hard to fail with as she is such an awesome character and the writing was really strong for her. The Tully men were spot on too although it would have been nice to have seen some more of them especially Edmure interacting with his sister. We never got to see a shot of Riverrun from the outside which was a shame.

I didn't have a problem with Ciaran Hinds as Mance its just that he had nothing to do. I was really suprised he ended up in just 3 episodes and in those he didn't make much of a presence. Tormund was great once they got over the wall.

Shireen was a nice suprise but Tara Fitzgerald was wasted, what was the point of Selyse? She's an annoyance in the books and even less use on the show.

Everyone else was great even Daario who I was actually wanting to hate on! But yeah, those teeth of his are wierd!

I did indeed. They look strange, zombie like. :ack:

What were you looking at????????? :wideeyed:

I don't really know! :lol: His braid or generally his hair...I have a vague feeling Margaery Tyrell used to have similar hairstyle.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's really that good looking, but in comparison with the book!Daario, there's some improvement - now not all the people watching show will be questioning Dany's taste in men right away.

I can't really complain. Loved the Blackfish, same with Thoros, Beric, Tormund and Olenna. Tormund had to partically take on the Magnar's role this season, so I can understand why they made him a bit more menacing. Still loved every moment with him, and he did have some rather comical and lighter scenes (but no mention of his member!). Rigg as Olenna was probably my favorite. Olenna was already an awesome character in the books, but in the show she is just spectacular!

Locke was a nice substitute for Vargo. Not as comical, but still somehow true to Hoat's character. I also liked Edmure, especially in episode 9 where his facial expressions were priceless. The casting for Shireen was also great, this show has so good child actors! Not much to say about Jojen, Meera and Missandei. We didn't get to see so much of those characters, so I'll probably have to wait for next season to really decide if I love any of them, same goes for Mance, but I have no doubt that Ciaran will have some great moments next season. I can't complain about Iwan Rheon either, but the show Ramsay just feels more comical than the book Ramsay, or maybe that's just my opinion. I remember hating Ramsay in ADwD more than I ever hated Joffrey, but in the show I don't hate him as much, while I hate Joffrey almost more than in the books. Daario seems like Daario, never was a huge fan of Daario, but Ed Skrein may change my opinion about him.

I was not a huge fan of Orell. Considering how big his role was, he just felt flat and villanous, like a cliché villain that we all knew was not going to survive the season. But I can't blame the actor. Selyse Florent just seemed really odd, but I guess she is like that in the books, can't really remember.

Edit: ANGUY! We haven't forgotten about Anguy, now have we? I loved the little we saw of that amazing archer, aiming at Hot Pies and joking with Hounds. Also, Grey Worm seemed like Grey Worm, nothing to complain about. Can't really decide about Qyburn yet, but I feel he's already more fleshed out than he was in the books at this moment. Can't wait to see the darker side of him!

And we must not forget Wendel Manderly. He should win all the Emmies.

Ramsay Snow: I think Iwan Rheon's acting is absolutely superb, perhaps my second favorite performance.

Mance Rayder: He was a bit older than I imagined him, and not nearly as charming or witty. Not sure if that's the acting or the writing, though.

Edmure Tully: He is just as in the books, I only wish he had more lines. And he is adorable.

The BwB: No complaints from me here on the acting. Not really the Dondarrion I was imagining.

The Reeds: I really love Meera's portrayal. Jojen is a bit off, by being so outspoken and princely. To me he's supposed to be wise, not a smart-ass. ;)

Missandei: Older than I expected by a long shot, but completely in character, always love her dialogue. She is a great sidekick for Dany.

Daario: I think they really toned down his character for the show but he is a good looking, charming fellow, and he does look trustworthy to me.

Olenna Tyrell: LOVE Diana Rigg's performance. My favorite new character of the season. Just as she should be, with a bit more punch for the show. She really gives the character a special something.

Shireen Baratheon: Another great casting job. She was so sweet she brought tears to my eyes. I was never a big Shireen advocate before but I love her now.

All in all, I'd say casting for this season was extremely successful because although I had a few letdowns, a lot of the performances led me to be more interested or liking the characters more because of the TV show. I call that successful adaptation.

Rheon is terrific, I don't know where some of your complaints come from. I thought he captured the sick, twisted nature of Ramsay very well all the while displaying how it's just a game to him.

"if you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention" - kills that line.

Archived