[Book Spoilers] Arya's future

Broken Fox

Dear god I hope not. Part of the point of Arya's journey is that people keep leaving her. Jon left, Ned left, Syrio, Jaqen...even the Hound. To have him come back because the actor was well cast undermines the story. Maybe at some point they do meet up again, but to have him do the training would lessen her, well, lessons.

Exactly, the believability of Arya's growth is the fact she feels abandoned. To have her meet back up with Jaqen would totally rewrite the ASOIAF plot.(no Pate w/ introduction of the poison coin method, no sea journey where Arya learns a lot about reading people, Arya's FM training in the HoBW,etc...) Arya's arc is one of the most engaging POV both book and TV. Just let Jaqen take care of his business and maybe they meet up later on.

It also ties directly to "death by fire is the purest death", as Melisandre told Davos's son in season 2.

It's interesting to point out that, according to Melisandre, Arya is supposed to shut-down three set of eyes. The same amount she saved back when she saved Jaqen from the fire.

If I were to speculate, the Red God is not done with Arya.

Well, I hope they don't make the Faceless Men servants of The Lord of Light; I like the whole Many-faced god thing. Can't wait to see Braavos in fact, hopefully in the latter part of next season.

I think the show has already shown, not only the Faceless Men as a Lord of Light order, but also the warrior-priest order of Thoros and the traditional slave priestess order Melisandre comes from.

If I were to speculate, I'd say Arya was rose by the Red God just like Melisandre told Gendry she was as a child, only difference is: Arya is bound to serve a different order.

I think the show has already shown, not only the Faceless Men as a Lord of Light order, but also the warrior-priest order of Thoros and the traditional slave priestess order Melisandre comes from.

No that's in CoK too, it's , well a glitch on GRRM's part, he has it that way in that book.

Then changes later to the FM's Many Faced God when Arya gets to Braavos.

Jaqen could have been making the distinction for a 'special case', I think George just goofed.

No that's in CoK too, it's , well a glitch on GRRM's part, he has it that way in that book.

Jaqen could have been making the distinction for a 'special case', I think George just goofed.

Maybe, but he has an "out" in that the Many-faced god contains all the gods, and the deaths are "owed to the Red god" because Jaqen & co were about to burn.

Exactly, the believability of Arya's growth is the fact she feels abandoned. To have her meet back up with Jaqen would totally rewrite the ASOIAF plot.(no Pate w/ introduction of the poison coin method, no sea journey where Arya learns a lot about reading people, Arya's FM training in the HoBW,etc...) Arya's arc is one of the most engaging POV both book and TV. Just let Jaqen take care of his business and maybe they meet up later on.

He would inevitably leave her again once her training was complete.

Maybe, but he has an "out" in that the Many-faced god contains all the gods, and the deaths are "owed to the Red god" because Jaqen & co were about to burn.

Yes but an argument could be made for the fact that Jaqen doesn`t kill anyone by fire afterwards. I agree that George just goofed and made up the Many Faced God aspect years later. Classic case of retconning to me. I`ve no problem with it, I love the Many Faced God idea but Jaqen was originally (and intended to be) portrayed as a follower of R`hllor.

Side note on Arya and Needle. When she hid that under the stone I almost cried. I want nothing more than for that girl to get back to Jon and be happy.

Yes but an argument could be made for the fact that Jaqen doesn`t kill anyone by fire afterwards. I agree that George just goofed and made up the Many Faced God aspect years later. Classic case of retconning to me. I`ve no problem with it, I love the Many Faced God idea but Jaqen was originally (and intended to be) portrayed as a follower of R`hllor.

Side note on Arya and Needle. When she hid that under the stone I almost cried. I want nothing more than for that girl to get back to Jon and be happy.

The Stranger can do a hand-off to R'hhlor if need be.

It would be touching to see a Jon-Arya reunion scene. Maisie was so great this year, even when her arc was treading water, utterly compelling.

In the books and show Jaqen did not and has not killed anyone by fire.

I think George had so many different strands of the story to keep up with and so many pages written that when he is telling the story of Arya in the House of Black and White created the FM following the Many Faced God, and had forgotten the dialog he had written so many years earlier.

Jaqen would not have been allowed to be a FM if he actually followed one god.

One might say for the FM it is more than an association , because GRRM does not paint the FM as really following a religion , they seem more Zen like.

Finally watched the last ep and MW killed it as Arya. Never been terrified of a little girl in my life (except the zombie in first season of Walking Dead), but there was something so chilling about how Arya turned in an instant from this frail looking girl to this ruthless killer. Kudos to the actress. When she dropped off the horse I sensed what was coming, but when she "accidentally" dropped that coin, all I could think was, "You are so fucked right now, nameless Frey dude."

As to the future, I hope they keep Arya and the Hound together up through s4 e9 and then 10 will be her leaving Westeros. The banter will continue even though D&D have softened that relationship. I've always viewed them as a seriously dysfunctional father-daughter duo, even though she'll never forgive him for Mycah - her list got shorter but some things you don't forgive. I'll be sorry to say goodbye to the Hound, but with any luck he'll be back. Are you listening, GRRM?

Arya has to hurry to Bravo's tho else she won't have time to complete her initial training and be out and about to cross Sam

In which case the Hound arc needs to be closed out in the first few episodes and the girl needs to get to sea, she can then do the temple for the latter half of the series and make her choice to depose of needle and begin her training at the end

Really hope they do the Titan

Or it could be that Arya has just fallen into the hands of a corrupted order, much like Sam when he arrived at the Citadel.

It always seemed odd to me that, with all the Faceless Men coming and going in the books, Arya has never encountered Jaqen, not even with a different face.

If I were to speculate, Arya could've been sent by the Red God to "clense" the order from within, Hence the reason Jaqen recruited her in Westeros, rather than the House of Black and White itself.

I`ve no problem with it, I love the Many Faced God idea but Jaqen was originally (and intended to be) portrayed as a follower of R`hllor.

The more the reasons I believe Jaqen will stick as a follower of R'hllor on the show.

A TV show doesn't have enough seasons to cover the Many Faced God idea the same way as it was covered on the books.

Or it could be that Arya has just fallen into the hands of a corrupted order, much like Sam when he arrived at the Citadel.

I always seemed odd to me that, with all the Faceless Men coming and going in the books, Arya has never encountered Jaqen, not even with a different face.

If I were to speculate, Arya could've been sent by the Red God to "clense" the order from within, Hence the reason Jaqen recruited her in Westeros, rather than the House of Black and White itself.

That is one weird interpretation.

My impression was that more than 90% of the FM were 'on the road' almost all the time and seldom came back to 'headquarters'.

(We never find out just how many FM there are (we meet , what seems to be one Faceless woman, so I am guessing there are more women too, well Arya is in training to be one, so that two. My guess is not that many FM or FP (faceless people).)

It always seemed odd to me that, with all the Faceless Men coming and going in the books, Arya has never encountered Jaqen, not even with a different face.

How is that odd? We know where Jaqen is. He's in Oldtown.

Sooner or later Arya will get a contract on a either Bran, Jon or Catelyn and fail to carry it out.

No she won't: faceless men - and women - can't kill someone that they know. It's what the reunions at the House of Black and White are for (to sort out which one knows whom)

Arya can't kill someone she already knows on the book (not to mention, Catelyn and Jon are already dead by the time she has her first assignment).

I can't wait to see if the show breaks this rule though, or if it send hers to kill Ramsay around the time he's supposed to marry her.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't see Arya meeting up with Jaqen again, in books or show. She keeps moving on, meeting new people. Braavos will hold her a while, but eventually she will have to break with the FM.

There will be new people for the Kindly Man and the Waif. Balon's death wasn't shown directly in the books, and may not be in the show, and if it is, it may be from a great distance, with no faces seen. At worst, we see Balon fall, infer that he is pushed by someone, but that someone is an extra we haven't seen before. Likewise in Oldtown, "Pate" will be played by someone new. Viewers can argue over whether he is Jaqen or someone else in the order. It is intended to be ambiguous: they are Faceless Men, interchangeable, unknown to anyone.

But there's that argument that it's so hard to show subtle things on television (it's not, but I'm using it this time, because I want to see Jaqen again).

Nobody would know unless you showed him turning into Pate. But everyone wants to see Jaqen again. So change Pate to someone nobody knows on the show.

Jaqen and Pate are one and the same, the WOIAF app:

"A mysterious foreigner claiming to be from the Free City of Lorath...

He then magically changes before her eyes, taking on the appearance, voice, and manner of someone else entirely."

Aliases: Alchemist, Pate

Arya has to hurry to Bravo's tho else she won't have time to complete her initial training and be out and about to cross Sam
In which case the Hound arc needs to be closed out in the first few episodes and the girl needs to get to sea, she can then do the temple for the latter half of the series and make her choice to depose of needle and begin her training at the end

Really hope they do the Titan
I'm quite sure they won't show Arya in Braavos until S05. After all, they'll need some shooting in Venice, the most expensive filming location on this planet. :drool:

• 4 months later...

Archived