[Book Spoilers] Positive Nitpicking

Tyrion4President

The Ramsay letter to Balon was gold. Just calling them scum at every turn then telling them about how Theon cried when he took away his favorite "toy" as Yara was unwrapping it. Ramsay Snow folks.

Arya's scene was great and Sandor's reaction to her stealing knife was silly.

Hodor's Hodor to Samwell was funny.

Also glad they had Grey Wind's head on Robb's body, add more hate to the Freys. Those arrogant pricks will get theirs...hopefully.

Everything about Davos

Arya becoming more violent and butchering that Frey.

Robb's body with Grey Wind's head (it was hard to watch though)

I'm not proud but Ramsay saying to Theon "Do you take me for some kind of savage?" really made me laugh.

I'm probably the only one but I liked Dany's "mhysa" scene.

Same with Jon- Ygritte, it made me sad for them, knowing what will happen.

I was happy to see Maester Aemon, and liked his scene with Gilly.

Joffrey and Tywin! I was begining to think we would never see it.

I love Shireen in the show, I didn't care much for her in.the books. Her relationship with Davos is very sweet.

- Robbwind, glad it made it to the screen.

- Hodor...Hodor...HOODOOR...Hoodooor...Hoodooor...

- The Walder/Roose scene. I really love both actors, and the scenes serves very well to explain some details to the viewers (like the burning of Winterfell). Also, I like the way the scene ends with Roose's crazy eyes and creepy smile, cutting to...

- ...his crazy-eyed and creepy-smiling bastard. The sausage scene was priceless. "Do you take me for some kind of savage?". I can't help but love show Ramsay. I did like the introduction of Reek, I only thought it was a bit fast (but Theon is already pretty damn broken by now).

- The Small Council scene. Tywin is one of my favorite characters in the novels, and Charles Dance is doing such a godly job.

- Dick-in-a-box. And I like Balon.

- Arya's first kill, and the way The Hound casually destroys the remaining Frey men afterwards and sits down to eat.

- Shireen is so cute I wanna die.

- If only Stannis was as well characterized as Davos and Melisande...

Maester Amon, Sam interpreting the NW's vow... Boy shows promise.

All those letters piled up on Stannis' table... Clearly he's depressed.

Both conversations between Davos and Gendry.

I loved the scene change from Roose talking about Ramsey to the scene between Ransey and Theon and finally on to the Iron Islands.

The Rat King story and then how it lead into the scene with Walder Frey after Bran said how the Gods would never forgive someone harming a guest.

Jon Snow and Ygritte. "You won't hurt me because I love you and I know you love me!" "You know nothing... Jon Snow..." *Shoots him full of arrows*

Also, I LOVED how Arya was trolling the Frey men before going kill crazy. And I also loved the Hounds response. I think they'll have some great scenes together next year.

Also, REEK!!!

Thanks for starting this thread!! it's always nice to see. Hope everything's okay with schiola.

My list on first watch:

Robb-Wind was absolutely disgusting and horrifying. I'm usually a big advocate of "be subtle, let viewers' imaginations do most of the work" but they showed it dead-on and it was even worse than I imagined. It still pops into my head and I give a little shudder, that's pretty damn effective.

Roose and Walder talking, loved that whole scene. "Forever young."

Jon and Ygritte continue to have perfect chemistry, and Kit and Rose both knocked that scene out of the park. Totally heartbreaking. Ygritte's portrayal was perfect, she was vulnerable and obviously heartbroken but still completely fierce, a real wildling girl.

Arya - both her reaction to her brother (understated but totally effecting :bawl: :crying: :bawl:) and then her coin+stab scene. You're obviously sorta rooting for those Frey men to get theirs, but then it's almost chilling to see stone cold Arya playing coy and then just losing it. She and the Hound make a fantastic pair.

Can't wait for more of their stuff next season.

Yara FUCK YES more Yara is never a bad thing IMO.

~ Hodor saying Hodor down the well to hear his voice echo.

~ I caught the Pod giggling on the second viewing and that was hilarious.

~ I'm still in love with Sansa's dress.

~ Joffrey practically jumping up and down with excitement. Then getting sent to bed by Tywin. Loved it and loved Varys' expressions during that entire scene. He was so loving it!

~ Rose Leslie - she is such a good actress and a thumbs up to Kit who gets bagged a lot b/c he sold the emotion of both his scenes. I'm happy he's home.

~ Everything Sam and Gilly naming the baby Sam.

~ Arya getting revenge on the Freys and I appreciate that they incorporated her moves from her first book intentional murder into how she executed it. Maisie Williams is everything! That scene and when she saw Robb, she conveys so much emotion without even talking.

~ I'm oddly fascinated by all of the Hound's eating scenes.

~ Ramsay Snow - I hate him, but the actor is so damn good!

~ Asha Greyjoy's bad-ass scene.

~ Davos is the only one holding up the Dragonstone storyline right now and thank goodness for him.

~ I also want to give props to Sophie Turner, they haven't given her much this season but she conveyed so much emotion in that brief moment we saw of her grief.

~ I thought I liked Dany's scene, but on re-watch I'm a little concerned but I'll leave those comments for the other thread. So the positive is initially it worked and I'll leave it at that.

Jon and Ygritte continue to have perfect chemistry, and Kit and Rose both knocked that scene out of the park. Totally heartbreaking. Ygritte's portrayal was perfect, she was vulnerable and obviously heartbroken but still completely fierce, a real wildling girl.

yes this was great, at first I was like "oh please don't get soppy please don't be lame guys. but it was just right IMO Rose portrayal was fantastic, you really understand and almost feel they way she does too, desperately trying to stay strong, but feeling overwhelmingly hurt and heartbroken with an bubbling undercurrent of anger that he would do that to her and leave her like this. sad sad

Arya - both her reaction to her brother (understated but totally effecting :bawl: :crying: :bawl:) and then her coin+stab scene. You're obviously sorta rooting for those Frey men to get theirs, but then it's almost chilling to see stone cold Arya playing coy and then just losing it. She and the Hound make a fantastic pair.

oh yes yes yes this is simply great, not only was I just so damn happy they added the coin&stabbing abut that they added it in, in such a epic way!! VERY satisfying moment for fan-girl/boy kind

There's been a lot of hating on this episode, more so than usual, but I have to say I really liked it. The final scene was a bit of a let down, but I liked how Dany being lifted up by the slaves paralleled Jon being lifted up by his brothers. Despite the very different contexts, it's still nice to get little nods like this. On the topic of the Mhysa scene, it could play well in the grand scheme of things when Dany leaves Yunkaii and later finds out they're all slaughtered/enslaved because there was nobody left to protect them.

Other things I particularly loved:

- The Arya scene. Wow, I could sit down and watch her stabbing Frey's on repeat. Maisie Williams is a powerhouse.

- Drunk Tyrion is great. Snarky Tyrion is better. Snarky-Drunk Tyrion is unbeatable.

- "I AM NOT TIRED," Joffrey is so damn funny. Such an absolute moron.

- Jon channelling his inner-Boromir. Maybe he is Ned's after all.

- The Young Wolf... Forever Young.

- Ramsey and the sausage. My goodness, I don't have words for how perfect Iwan is in the role.

- Davos

- Maester Aemon. I'm so glad he's still in the show. I was terrified they were going to just sort of write him out because the actor has aged.

And now I want to talk a bit about Jon. While his relationship with Ygritte has been slow, especially in relation to some of the other stories, I think there's a very good comparison to Robb and Talisa that should be made. Robb chose love over duty, and Jon chose duty over love. They both took three arrows (bolts) for their decision, but one is still alive and the other isn't. Aemon put it best when he said that "Love is the death of duty."

"There's been a lot of hating on this episode"

This board seems to hate WAY more than they like. Just look how large the nitpick thread is for each episode compared to the positive thread. Some people just can't get the concept that this is an adaptation instead of a direct unabridged version of the text.

Arya dropping the coin making the Frey soldier stoop over to pick it up and compare that with Maester Pycelle doing the same thing with Tyrion, dropping the parchment..so you make the connection that Maester Pycelle would also love to stab Tyrion.

Jon saying to Ygritte, "You won't hurt me" and she shoots him ..compare that to Sansa saying to Sandor " You won't hurt me" and he says " No little bird I won't hurt you". Contrast Comparison of two relationships.

Davos and Shireen and Davos with Gendry. Davos is the new father figure in the story since Ned is gone.

I loved Sandor eating the Frey's food right after killing them and I loved his eating the pig's feet last week..ugh. His fathering of Arya.

Tywin commanding Maester Pycelle to give Joffrey his bed time drink..and how that will tie in next season nicely to Tywin's night time drink and a possible theory. :cool4:

The look Brienne gave Jaime when they entered KL. I love the chemistry between these two actors on the screen.

The subtle comparison of Jon Snow being carried by NW brothers and Dany being carried by the freed slaves.

Ohhhhh, I forgot to add Davos in my post. He's just so damn great. Plus "Why is there a G in knight!?" hahaha. Both scenes of him reading have been the best things ever.

Also I hope the Hound stealing food in the background becomes a running gag from now on.

I liked that in an episode titled "Mhysa" the focus first went on the fathers. Roose, Walder, Balon, Tywin. And then the father figures like Davos, The Hound, uh, Sam. (okay, not really so much on that one)

Loved all of Hodor's Hodoring

Loved RobbWind and the brutality of Arya seeing it firsthand

Loving the relationship between Arya and The Hound

Loved loved loved the small council meeting

HATE that we have another year or so to wait on Season 4. Sad face

Bran telling the Rat Cook story about the gods wrath of breaking the guest right, then showing Old Frey eating his meal after. Does it show that the Freys are in for a big trouble?

Joffrey telling Tywin that he hides behind the rock during the rebellion and the council falls into silence. He then is sent to bed by the real "king" of the IT without his supper.

Arya and the Hound killing the Frey men. My new favorite duo.

I'm happy to see Maester Aemon again after a very looong time. And it's nice to see the fellowship of the NW reunited: Pyp, Sam, and Jon.

Asha going to take back her little brother from batshit Ramsay.

"Forever Young" comment of Roose is kinda funny.

Reek is reborn! And that sausage thing...is so mean! The Others take yah Ramsay!

Jon Snow not knowing how to break up with his Wildling gurlfriend ---> we need sweet cupid to shot love arrows to these two brokenhearts.

The KitN headless but Greywind's makes me cry... :bawl:

Archived