Are you emo?

Paddy

Seems quite clear to me. Organisers are needed, especially at the size of groups like the one in London. You don't have to be a local, although that helps.

Aside from all else, for the sake of centralisation and simply streamlining of a lot of different factors (sight-seeing, transport, accomodation), you'll always need someone or someones to take a certain amount of responsibility. Hotels don't book themselves you know.

And once more, do we actually have to label Chal, barry and Sean as 'awesome'? No, didnt' think so either. It is implied.

One or two thoughts:

It seems to me that while you don't need someone 'on the ground' it helps to have someone at least familiar with the area.

The main thing is that you pick somewhere easy for most people to get to - which is why London scored so heavily. Flights in are numerous and cheap and go from a variety of places. Amsterdam, Paris, Koln, and Barcelona don't quite match London in that respect but are easier than most other places.

I agree a central event is important. In Edinburgh we had the ceilidh, in London the party. A meet needs a structure, even if only a loose one.

I agree a central event is important. In Edinburgh we had the ceilidh, in London the party. A meet needs a structure, even if only a loose one.

Amsterdam suggestions: Big tours of the museums. There's dozens of venues all over the city for many types of music, surely there would be one or two shows that would interest the Bros. A dinner canal boat ride, with extra munchies, and maybe a Bros filk-fest. Throw a mini-con, make badges, do 3 or 4 panels one day, have an art show, a 'masquerade', have everybody who comes be on at least one of the panels, even pull the topics from a hat.

There's tours of breweries, the torture museum and I think one of global flower marts does one as well. Plenty of history, art and lots of culture. Rent a bunch of bikes if the weather is good and go for a picnic at a park or the zoo?

So where do I sign up as a supporter of the EuroBros Amsterdam bid :) ?

I do like the idea of Amsterdam. Nice and central, stuff to do, strippers and drugs. Possibly not the best time in November but then where is?

I think booking accomodation would be manageable. We would need to think about a place for a central event. Day time events and the other evenings should be fine.

I like it.

Two quick points imho

1) We have time on our side. We can debate and think this over thoroughly during the next month (or 2)

2) Having people willing and able to take on all elements of organisation is more important than necessarily having someone based in the city

eta - oh and :lol: @ pod

Stop laughing at me. I'm supposed to never get in trouble. :P People are coming to LA just to beat up Zollo. Not me!!!

I don't think meets will work without people devoted to organise things.

Very true Filippa. I think we agree on the fundamentals but just disagree on one or two of the specifics.

Amsterdam works fine too. :) Some people may be over familiar with it but you could say the same about London and that was great.

And ask a silly question time...but when did Cologne become Koln? I know that is the German spelling but I never noticed it used so much before. :)

I did fuck all. Just ask Pod.

Although really, I didn't do that much. The only thing I really concerned myself with was the accommodation, and working out how much per person per night, and collecting that.

I didn't buy food. I didn't cook (other than the cheesecake). I ran one errand for Flip and did no other shuttling around. I didn't organise booze runs. I didn't find the Ha'penny for our emo-night of non-drinking-in-smelly-pubs.... Other people took those on, or they just sort of 'happened'. (For example, had we not ended up in the Ha'penny, we very probably would have ended up somewhere else, because group consensus was to go out together, not to go out to a specific place.)

Hell, I didn't even have the keys to the place most of the time, because I just wasn't there. But remember, I never planned to take charge of any more than the accommodation. It was only supposed to be a few people originally anyway -- maybe 10, but not the 17 I think we ended up with. We (IIRC) were never going to have a big party because just not that many people could turn up, so we were just going to have our nights out as normal.

HOWEVER -- and this is a big one -- I don't think it's the scale of Dublin compared to London that made so much of a difference as the party, and the transporting of others.

You needed a venue that was able to hold a varying (but large) number of people. You needed food for the party. You needed entertainment of some variety. You got fabulous decorations that added to the whole 'event' feel of the night. Organising a single night can take months, even 'casual' ones like this, and its impact cannot be underestimated. [And the skill and awesomeness of those who can take it on can similarly never be overstated. :P]

You also got people who were able and willing to collect people arriving from airports, or train stations, or to run errands if something wasn't walkable, general guides to Places to Go, Things to See. [Remember wandering around Temple Bar Square because the three Dubliners had no recommendations? And going on the bus tour because someone from another country had seen it and recommended we give it a go?]

So yeah, Pod, if all you want is to stumble around somewhat lost in a city, going from pub to house/hostel to pub and back again, you can all just show up armed with a map and a Rough Guide. If you all want to stay in the same place you'll need one person to take on that headache, but that can be done from anywhere.

If, as seems to be the growing trend, you want to actually *see* cool bits of the city, and have a real, outside-the-house party, then having someone on the ground, or at least extremely familiar with the area of the city we'll be in, is vital. Sure, anybody who's willing to step up and take charge of organising can do *something*, but you won't actually *know* what the places are like until after you've booked and arrived.

Firstly, Dublin was awesome.

Secondly, a good few of the organising issues in London were because people were popping in and out, staying elsewhere, moving rooms etc.. That just would not be an issue if we went somewhere 'foreign' :unsure: So if we head to the continent there will actually be less organising to do. The main event does not have to be something we organise btw and would probably be a lot easier if it isn't. We can piggyback on someone else's hard work.

So are we all now clear that Parris has shares in a dope farm and she is in need of some extra cash?

Amsterdam sounds cool to me.

Wow Pod! I find you even more hawt, now that you're a bad girl! :kiss:

Firstly, having someone with local knowledge does make the job easier, but is not essential.

We do however need an organizer or an organizing team because it would be a total mess without one (Zak would probably end up in a different continent to the rest of us).

Next, I totally agree with Barry's thoughts on having a central event and (trying not to sound like a total alcho) I think it should be an evening event involving drink. Even another BwB karaoke night would do, but we could make a bigger deal out of it with pre-defined song lists for people, maybe even prizes for best, worst, funniest, etc.

This is just an idea to show how easy it would be to have a focus for the meet.

Amsterdam is also cool with me.

November? What happened to Dublin in June? :lol::lol:

Did you read what Sean just said? Think i'm going to allow him visit here? :P Although it is a shame you wouldn't be able to make it Niamh.

I could add something more...but i've great faith in everyone to figure out how to have a great meet. Somewhere and indeed anywhere. :)

faster to type?

Ohhh...good point Filippa. I'll be a noob no longer!

Amsterdam sounds good. Shouldn't be too difficult for people to get there either.

And as we started getting old and mature and planning in advance, I suggest Köln/Cologne/howeveryouwanttonamethatcity or anything Christmas-Market related for next year. In which case -if people are still interested and this country survived WorldCup, that is - I would volunteer to organize this.

Going anywhere in November has the advantage of being off-season and thusly cheaper too, right?

So we'll just keep Amsterdam in mind and start planning after WorldCon, or what is the general consensus?

I will confess to enjoying a pleasant evening in a Dutch coffee shop. But I don't own shares in a herb farm, even though it might mean I'd get wholesale prices. Everyone knows I'm saving up my pennies to buy a castle in Ireland and claim my ancestral birthright as Queen of the Moynihans.

We just had such a great time in Amsterdam last month, and the Bulldog hostel was such a nice place to relax and enjoy the city, I said on several occassions during the 4 day visit that I thought the Bros would have one damn fine time if they came for a mini-con.

If the dates work out, I'd probably come over, just to be with the Mountain that Cuddles once again and hear Paddy and GoN and others karoke the night away. That was a lot of fun, and not something we American fans do often. Although we do have our filk, and Paddy swore he'd work on "What Would Randall Tarly Do?" so we could all sing along on the chorus next time we were together.

I'm up for any meeting of the BwB as long as I have a few months' notice. The summer was pretty much out of the question (my best mate's wedding, a trip to see my mum who lives near Barcelona) but October/November sounds doable. I'm not in love with flying so a place like Amsterdam which is reachable by Eurostar is also good. And if it's at the weekend, I can juggle my days off and only need to take one or two holiday days. All-in-all, it gets my vote! :cheers:

"Yes, the Eurocommie concillium will be in Barcelona this time around"

"Excellent news!" I said, as I began shuffling dates in my schedule to try and be present. As finally I had cleared off that weekend and I was beggining to make a hotel reservation, I read:

"Well, you know... Barcelona... well the thing is that I don't like gazpacho too much"

"mmm... well Barcelona is a nifty city and all that, but its too hot in that time of the year... I mean, I don't want to leave my cardigan behind this time. If my cradigan doesn't go, neither do I!" others argued.

Unless it is in Madrid, I'm going to pull your eyes out from your sockets with a tea spoon...

:P

Unless it is in Madrid, I'm going to pull your eyes out from your sockets with a tea spoon...

You're going to have to come get us wherever we have the meet in order to do that, man. And then we'll just disarm you of any spoons. :P

Archived