Why do people....

I wouldnt say shes forgotten. Much of the hatred towards Gregor and Tywin can be laid at their actions towards Elia, and the complete lack off justice she and her brother end up getting. Oberyn gets a confession out of Gregor, and Tywin still refuses to acknowledge Dornes right-pisses me off

I for one have the unpopular opinion of loving her more than Lyanna.

She isnt really forgotten, but I think I get what you mean. its not that nobody remembers her, its just that unfortunately she is overshadowed by R and L.

If someone is emphatically dead, along with her children, then it's kind of difficult to integrate her into a forward-looking plot, and in that case you're not going to see her play a major role in many ideas. It doesn't mean she's been "forgotten."

One of her children.

If you think she should be noted more than she is (and I see her mentioned quite a bit, especially in theories about Aegon), then you should explain why she's still important despite being dead or what role she might still have to play.

How about being the mother of Aegon The Reconqueror?

She's only marginally important to the series as she and her children are (most likely) dead. She's unlikely to affect the outcome of events in the story (except for Oberyn's duel to the death with Gregor Clegane and Doran's 20-year long plan). There isn't much about her that we know, so it's hard to discuss her on her own merits as well. I do find her an interesting character, and would like to know a bit more about her, but I think the mystery of Rhaegar's marriage (and his elopement with Lyanna) would largely remain just that - a mystery. It's a pity, but I think if we knew a little more about her, there might be more talk about her, but for now at least, she'll remain a very minor character.

I don't know why people focus more on Ashara Dayne than Elia.

Ive always hated this. Its like 9 out of every 10 new theories somehow involve Ashara Dayne being either alive, or a mother/lover to every character in the series. I dont understand why as well

I for one have the unpopular opinion of loving her more than Lyanna.

She isnt really forgotten, but I think I get what you mean. its not that nobody remembers her, its just that unfortunately she is overshadowed by R and L.

Elia is way more sympathetic than Lyanna, in my opinion.

In fact, I think I really don't like Lyanna.

Its like 9 out of every 10 new theories somehow involve Ashara Dayne being either alive, or a mother/lover to every character in the series. I dont understand why as well

Purple eyes.

(Well, and that we can't confirm a corpse... which, I admit, is an interesting thing, but it's going a bit far to spin it into evidence for Ashara being the main and pivotal character for the SoIaF.)

I don't think she's forgotten, she's just not important enough to be routinely discussed. If anything, I don't know why people focus more on Ashara Dayne than Elia.

Haunting purple eyes, maybe? I think it's mainly because she's mentioned too many times in the books. Random people talk about her, and for seemingly no reason, since she's pretty unimportant on the grand scale of things. Maybe it's just a quirk of GRRM, though.

EDIT: Lol, ninja'd.

Haunting purple eyes, maybe? I think it's mainly because she's mentioned too many times in the books. Random people talk about her, and for seemingly no reason, since she's pretty unimportant on the grand scale of things. Maybe it's just a quirk of GRRM, though.

EDIT: Lol, ninja'd.

That's the thing though, she's been mentioned less than 50 times in the entire series. I don't understand why people can't seem to understand that she probably IS dead, like Syrio.

She's like Anne from Arrested Development.

Way to plant, Elia.

Rhaegar: You know, I'm thinking of naming her my Queen of Love and Beauty

Aerys: Her?

And that's why Lyanna got the crown of roses and R + L = J started

I don't mean that people hate her, she's not hated but I feel like she doesn't get enough love from people bu maybe that's because she's a minor character.

that's just it - how do we love someone we never got to meet?But I do think she's more appreciated than it seems: I personally had my pro-Targ sympathies start up because of them. Even Varys - reading between the lines a bit - seems less than happy about poor, sweet Rhaenys. Dragged out from under her father's bed, where she thought she'd be safe; he unable to protect her because he'd fallen at the Trident?Come to think, the horror of it might help explain Robert's hatred for Targaryens. Assuming he knew, somewhere deep down, that Lyanna never loved him (a big, totally risky assumption), repressing guilt over Elia and her children with hatred of Rhaegar seems totally plausible.

That's the thing though, she's been mentioned less than 50 times in the entire series. I don't understand why people can't seem to understand that she probably IS dead, like Syrio.

Well, for a story the scope of ASOIAF, to be mentioned 50 times can be a pretty big deal. Especially for a character that we never meet, and who mainly serves as a proxy for Jon's mother. I do think readers get too hung up on her (the Targ eyes could account for that), but I also believe that there is some mystery surrounding her that hasn't made clear in the text yet. I don't understand why people like Ser Barristan Selmy talk about her if she's completely unimportant to the storyline. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into things. ASOIAF does that to you ;)

Warning: I'm a Martell fan....

I personally think Elia is somewhat overlooked. I'm far from convinced that Rhaegar and Lyanna were legally married since nobody has managed to get away with having two wives at the same time for several generations, even amongst the Targaryens, and we've got no evidence at all that the Starks practised or supported polygamy...but that's another argument. I think that Elia was a hell of a lot smarter than people (outside Dorne) gave her credit for being. She's the sister of Doran and Oberyn Martell, she's clearly not going to be the meek stay-at-home mumsey figure that she often seems to be portrayed as. One of her brothers was prepared to die to avenge her death,the other might have done the same if his gout hadn't been giving him gyp... I also think that the vision of Rhaegar that Dany sees in the House Of The Undying of him and the baby, Elia is the woman in the bed, and that she's at least as aware of the darned "Prince" prophecy as Rhaegar. I'm re-reading Feast at the moment, so i've probably missed a tonne of stuff, but i'm currently formulating a Dorne led conspiracy to depose Aerys and put Rhaegar on the Iron Throne, but alas they were beaten to the punch by Ned and Bob...

'Cause she's not important? All she did was give Oberyn a cool quote. That's about it.

The same could be said for tons of minor characters in the series. Why aren't people praising Nimble Dick?

Archived