Ser Gerold Dayne, AKA Darkstar: A Second Impression; A Second Chance?

Daecon Dayne

Personnally I'd consider...the following :

He's in Aegon camp

One of the more tantalising prospects of the upcoming novels (for me, at least) is that Darkstar will indeed have, or develop, ties with Aegon. I've said it on another thread somewhere, and I'll say it again: a Rhaegar/Arthur parallel with Aegon/Gerold could well be monumental and cool as shit.

On another note, interesting ideas!

AFFC/ADWD is essentially one looooooong book since the majority of it runs concurrently. So he has been introduced and alluded to afterwards in the story's current timeline, he hasn't just gone away. I'll be surprised if he isn't one of the key players in TWoW which is essentially the followup to both book 4 and 5. GRRM said splitting the book was a mistake, and situations like this is why.

Can someone explain to me why his name is put in purple?

And what is wrong with his "I am of the night" quote?

House Dayne's sigil is a silver shooting star on a field of PURPLE. :B

Also because apparently "I am of the night" was too damn cheesy for some peeps.

They both hurt children which makes them despicable but Jaime is a sort of good guy who went on an evil path and is now coming back. That is why we like him. Darkstar is just a dick, and kind of lame, and there is no more time for him to go on the kind of character journey Jaime went on. Poor Myrcella. Besides the whole Dorne storyline annoys me after Oberyn's death. Also the Dorne storyline and everyone else involved in it is a big waste of energy and time. Did George add it for a bit of diversity?

House Dayne's sigil is a silver shooting star on a field of PURPLE. :B

Also because apparently "I am of the night" was too damn cheesy for some peeps.

I honestly thought the quote was kind of cool.

Makes sense because everyone also posts Starks in white and Lannisters in red. Oh wait. :)

We're starting this now. Except Starks should be in grey instead.

I think he could certainly turn into an important character, it's just hard for a lot of readers to get over how downright foolish and cowardly he's been so far. He willingly involved himself in Arianne's really stupid plot to crown Myrcella. I like Arianne, but that was such a stupid plan. I've made this joke before, but this was basically their plan, right?:

Phase 1: Abduct Myrcella, take her to Hellholt, and crown her Queen of the Seven Kingdoms

Phase 2: ????????????????

Phase 3: Victory!

Darkstar thought that was a good idea? Then, when the plan failed, instead of trying to win a little glory by going toe-to-toe with Areo Hotah, he tries to murder a little girl and rides away like a complete coward.

That is why I dislike him. He might prove to be massively important later on, but so far he's really just been a foolish and cowardly adventurer.

I think he could certainly turn into an important character, it's just hard for a lot of readers to get over how downright foolish and cowardly he's been so far. He willingly involved himself in Arianne's really stupid plot to crown Myrcella. I like Arianne, but that was such a stupid plan. I've made this joke before, but this was basically their plan, right?:

Phase 1: Abduct Myrcella, take her to Hellholt, and crown her Queen of the Seven Kingdoms

Phase 2: ????????????????

Phase 3: Victory!

Darkstar thought that was a good idea? Then, when the plan failed, instead of trying to win a little glory by going toe-to-toe with Areo Hotah, he tries to murder a little girl and rides away like a complete coward.

That is why I dislike him. He might prove to be massively important later on, but so far he's really just been a foolish and cowardly adventurer.

He did NOT think it was a good idea. He wanted to kill Myrcella as that would be the way to stir up the Lannisters.

“Call it what you will. Crowning the Lannister girl is a hollow gesture. She will never sit the Iron Throne. Nor will you get the war you want. The lion is not so easily provoked.”

“The lion’s dead. Who knows which cub the lioness prefers?”

“The one in her own den.” Ser Gerold drew his sword. It glimmered in the starlight, sharp as lies. “This is how you start a war. Not with a crown of gold, but with a blade of steel.”

I am no murderer of children. “Put that away. Myrcella is under my protection.

I agree with the OP. The hate for Darkstar is bewildering. But that's just how the Internet goes. One person says "what a dork" and 50 thousand immediately agree and make a meme out of it.

Here's hoping for Option B ;)

He did NOT think it was a good idea. He wanted to kill Myrcella as that would be the way to stir up the Lannisters.

I agree with the OP. The hate for Darkstar is bewildering. But that's just how the Internet goes. One person says "what a dork" and 50 thousand immediately agree and make a meme out of it.

Here's hoping for Option B ;)

I take your point. I had forgotten about the passage in which he threatened Myrcella in front of Arianne, but honestly, how is that better? He's a coward who wanted to kill a little girl. Nothing more. Arianne could not have surrounded herself with a bigger group of fools.

I don't 'hate' Darkstar, any more than I hate any other character in the books. I wouldn't mind seeing him show up again, but he's been nothing more than a fool and a coward up to this point.

I take your point. I had forgotten about the passage in which he threatened Myrcella in front of Arianne, but honestly, how is that better? He's a coward who wanted to kill a little girl. Nothing more. Arianne could not have surrounded herself with a bigger group of fools.

I don't 'hate' Darkstar, any more than I hate any other character in the books. I wouldn't mind seeing him show up again, but he's been nothing more than a fool and a coward up to this point.

He wants to provoke the Lannisters into war. Why, we don't know yet, but killing Myrcella was his way of doing it. Ruthless, yes, but it would be effective, I imagine.

Arianne DID surround herself with a group of fools. If ever a plan was predestined to fail, that was it. Well, there was another one... I really hope Trystane is wiser than his siblings, otherwise I fear for the future of Dorne :(

The other quote wasn't meant to you, but to the thread in general. I just didn't want to double post.

Archived