Is Dany Going Mad?

Yes, she is already mad and has been for quite some time.

"If I look back I am lost..."

Cause y'know, Quaithe is totally real, and people randomly appear on your ship in the middle of the sea in the middle of the night.

Mad King Aerys burned people alive because "the voices in his head to him to"

GRRM practically spells it out for us.

"Beware the perfumed seneschal"

She's just like her father, only worse because she has dragons and this time Jaime won't be there to stop the Targs from burning everyone alive in KL.

Lastly, LOL at all the Dany fans trying to justify crucifying people. Just wow.

She is completely mad.

See: Quaithe

So dragons, direwolves, wargs, others, wights, faceless men, shadow babies, resurrections and giants or OK in this fantasy series, but Quaithe is not?

She is, as I see it, falling into madness as her father did. You see. Aerys wasn't mad since he was young. He was a little quick to anger, yes, but not mad. It was after the events occured at the Defiance of Duskendale that his madness exploded.

I think this will happen to Daenerys too. You can see she's not "entirelly sane", ( "I am the blood of the dragon", walking directly to fire, her superiority complex...) I think that, as it happened to Aerys, some event will occur (if hasn't occured yet) that will trigger her descent to madness.

(BTW this is my first post :P Hello everyone!)

Yes, she is already mad and has been for quite some time.

"If I look back I am lost..."

Cause y'know, Quaithe is totally real, and people randomly appear on your ship in the middle of the sea in the middle of the night.

Quaithe is as real as her companions, Pyat Pree and Xaro Xhoan Daxos, actually.

And if having meaningful dreams and visions makes someone crazy, then there go Bran, Jojen, Jon, hell, even Rickon had one of those. The little psycho.

She is, as I see it, falling into madness as her father did. You see. Aerys wasn't mad since he was young. He was a little quick to anger, yes, but not mad. It was after the events occured at the Defiance of Duskendale that his madness exploded.

I think this will happen to Daenerys too. You can see she's not "entirelly sane", ( "I am the blood of the dragon", walking directly to fire, her superiority complex...) I think that, as it happened to Aerys, some event will occur (if hasn't occured yet) that will trigger her descent to madness.

(BTW this is my first post :P Hello everyone!)

Most of the Houses have sigils which the members of that House can identify with and be proud of. Saying that she is the blood of the dragon doesn't make her insane, that's a stupid conclusion. If that's true, then virtually every Westerosi noble is crazy, as they all remind themselves of their heritage, as does Daenerys.

Quaithe is as real as her companions, Pyat Pree and Xaro Xhoan Daxos, actually.

And if having meaningful dreams and visions makes someone crazy, then there go Bran, Jojen, Jon, hell, even Rickon had one of those. The little psycho.

Well said.

I can't believe there are people who still believe Quiathe isn't real when plenty of people have seem her. About the Dany seeing her after leaving Qarth, I thought it was common assumption that Quaithe is using black candles to communicate with Dany. The description of the uses of these candles matches Dany's post-Qarth interactions with Quaithe:

All Valyrian sorcery was rooted in blood or fire. The sorcerers of the Freehold could see across mountains, seas, and

deserts with one of these glass candles. They could enter a man’s dreams and give him visions, and speak to one another half a world apart, seated before their candles

• 2 months later...

I'd say her targ beliefs lead her to do things that would see other people brand her mad like walking in to a funeral pyre and tending to her gravely ill children inflicted with the bloody flux

nobody can argue that both of these act's are reasonable behaviour

If Sansa tended to people sick people she would be viewed as a saint, but Dany is a Targ so she must be mad right?

She's what, a 14 year old girl who's already lost a husband and child and is leading a vast army and a nation? Does anyone expect her to make nothing but good calls? She's somewhat overly influenced by her emotions, hence her freeing of the slaves and crucifying the slavemasters, but that is in no way indicative of madness or insanity, a term that gets thrown around way too liberally both in the books and on these forums.

Her hallucinations at the end of aDwD are the result of a mix of dehydration, exhaustion, hunger, disease and a possible miscarriage.

Honestly, Baelor and Viserys aren't insane. Baelor was a religious fanatic and an idiot, and Viserys was vain, cruel and delusional, but neither of them were insane. Compare them to Rhaegel Targaryen or Aerys II and the differences are astounding. There are plenty of people like Baelor and Viserys in real life that no one would think to call insane.

If Sansa tended to people sick people she would be viewed as a saint, but Dany is a Targ so she must be mad right?

firstly I love dany and find sansa meh so don't get me wrong

secondly everybody strongly advised her not to tend to the sick people because it's seen as a death sentence so anybody doing it would be an act of madness, they wheren't just sick they where dyeing of a highly contagious disease

Arriane's slander attack seems to be working, I hate her

I never once saw a is Dany mad thread until that sample chapter came out

you are still allowed to love mad people lol

I love her but she has done some things which may be deemed mad all the way back to the first book

She's what, a 14 year old girl who's already lost a husband and child and is leading a vast army and a nation? Does anyone expect her to make nothing but good calls? She's somewhat overly influenced by her emotions, hence her freeing of the slaves and crucifying the slavemasters, but that is in no way indicative of madness or insanity, a term that gets thrown around way too liberally both in the books and on these forums.

Her hallucinations at the end of aDwD are the result of a mix of dehydration, exhaustion, hunger, disease and a possible miscarriage.

Honestly, Baelor and Viserys aren't insane. Baelor was a religious fanatic and an idiot, and Viserys was vain, cruel and delusional, but neither of them were insane. Compare them to Rhaegel Targaryen or Aerys II and the differences are astounding. There are plenty of people like Baelor and Viserys in real life that no one would think to call insane.

I agree.

Also I'd argue the funeral pyre was a failed suicide attempt and Dany was as surprised as anyone at her survival and the birth of her dragons.

I think she got herself stuck in Mereen and forgot her true purpose. MMD's curse and Quaithe's prophecies are coming to pass to get her "unstuck". At least, that is my hope.

Also I'd argue the funeral pyre was a failed suicide attempt and Dany was as surprised as anyone at her survival and the birth of her dragons.

I think we are pretty sure she dreamed of it(The Targ Dream thing) which told her what would happen and the Book Jorah gave her could also detail that.

But everything working out is purely luck.

Archived