Why and when the Dany hate began?

Nami

Going through threads I've noticed people really vocal about not liking Dany's character and I wonder: it was like this since the beginning or just because of ADWD? Did the TV show have some influence on that?

For me? When she decided to rule in Meereen and spurned Quentyn Martell. Wasting book readers time.

Honestly I got pissed off by some of her decisions in ADWD but she's still my favorite

Gotta admit I'm not a fan of Dany in the show though. One dimensional personality, to put it simply

Well personally I hate her because she is a whiney idiot, she always goes around complaining about her family being usurped and then she goes to slavers bay and throws out all the ruling families there, i mean yeah sure slavery is wrong but she puts all of the ones in Astapor to the sword, and the Mad king was jjust as bad as the slavers

Going through threads I've noticed people really vocal about not liking Dany's character and I wonder: it was like this since the beginning or just because of ADWD? Did the TV show have some influence on that?

Actually the Show softened all her action, so it contribute to her fan-love, i think it all started when people started to read her chapters in a more meticulous way and discuss it as a group.

Dany, after mariage, admiring her rapist, pillaging husband, not having a problem with them raping, pillaging and TAKING SLAVES in order to sell them for money to gain ships to go to Westeros so they can in the words of her beloved hubby "RAPE THEIR WOMEN" Dany was down with all that. She was happy for the enthusiasm. Then, she gets dragons and next thing you know, she thinks she is Mosses or Abe Lincoln.

By the way, she is, despite being polarizing, she is the most protected character in the forums.

Everything changed when the Stannis nation attacked...

Agreed. Also, solid reference (which I'm assuming is what you're making).

Well, I hate TV Dany more than book Dany. TV Dany they've turned into a do-no-wrong Jesus like figure. But alas, this is not the place to discuss the TV Show.

Many hated Dany's story arc in DwD. Some hated anything with her post GoT. Her storyline is basically irrelevant to what most consider the greatest aspect of the series (the game of thrones IN Westeros).

She also incurs the wrath of Stannis fans and Stark fans alike. Obviously Stannis fans dont consider her the true ruler, since he is. And many Stark fans show disdain for her unwillingness to learn the truth about RR, which heavily affects her views on Ned Stark and the Starks in general.

I liked her chapters in GoT. I was mostly bored with her chapters in CoK until the House of the Undying. In contrast to many, I really enjoyed the quick and unrelenting forward momentum of her chapters in SoS.

So yes, it was mostly DwD that made me dislike (not hate) her. Her teenage infatuation with Daario, her spurning of Quentyn, her generally bad decisions in Meereen, and the utter opposite of forward momentum that her DwD chapters represented all combined to irritate me and make me want to move on to the next PoV chapter.

Also, I've gotta say I've liked her less and less as a character the more obvious its become that she has CHOSEN ONE stuck to her foreward in giant neon lights. I'm awaiting some subversion of such a cliche trope played so terribly straight as it has been with her.

She made some poor decisions in AGOT, but it hurt her the most. I felt sorry for her and thought she would learn from her mistakes. Then she gets to Astapor and shows herself to be incompetent on many levels. I don't hate her, but I don't think she would be a good Queen at all.

As for the show, I think her portrayal is far better on the show. At the moment, you believe she is the Queen to sort Westeros out. She maybe ruthless and a backstabber, but far more competent charismatic and a better judge of character.

I think there will always have been some criticism, probably ever since she first called The Ned a 'dog.'

The 'hate' though will have begun with SoS and snowballed to truly absurd proportions with DwD, to the degree much of the board is in the grip of this madness.

I think there will always have been some criticism, probably ever since she first called The Ned a 'dog.'

The 'hate' though will have begun with SoS and snowballed to truly absurd proportions with DwD, to the degree much of the board is in the grip of this madness.

I...I'm not even going to try with you Bran...

Archived