Video Games: And Now For Something Completely The Same

Poobah

You mean, you still have both vast amount of money and time to waste on mediocre, and even on crappy games?

Are you a millionaire who's already played all the good games?

im pretty close to being a millionare, but i play at least 80% of games that are released. but you dont have to be a millionare to do that. just a multithousandaire

Shadowrun is set to come out in July, so we'll get one of our first looks at how a 'bigger' game can do with only piles of Kickstarter cash for funding.

My only real problem with the game is that its single player, part of the fun I always had with Shadowrun was the unpredictability that the other people in the party caused (and tbh that's true with an pen and paper rpg) when someone had a bright spark and decides to rear off the plan that you had laid out for no real reason and your left scrambling, and I don't think that will be the case with that as while surprises may happen theres less variables on your end if that makes sense.

Just got the Last of Us via trading in a shit ton of stuff I've repurchased through Steam over the years and/or didn't particularly enjoy anyway.

This is pretty much Game of the Generation, it's that damned good.

First question: Brick or Bottle?

Second question: Melee or ranged?

I love how the game isn't just a cover based shootout even vs human enemies. Actually, shooting human enemies, unless absolutely necessary, is a waste of a precious resource.

I love how the game isn't just a cover based shootout even vs human enemies. Actually, shooting human enemies, unless absolutely necessary, is a waste of a precious resource.

Bottle and I like to try to stealth kill when possible, then melee when it isn't. And what you mention is precisely why; gotta keep my bullets!

I use both bricks and bottles of course, but generally I prefer keeping a brick on-hand. It's a good emergency weapon (out of ammo, melee weapon breaks, no shiv, etc.), especially for clickers. And it seems like bottles are laying around the environment a little more often, but that might just be in my head.

As for melee or ranged...probably a healthy combination of both. I fucking love the bow, but I'm always hesitant to use it in certain areas of the game because there are so few arrows (other parts aren't so bad, like Winter for example). Melee is incredibly satisfying though, especially with the handaxe. That thing is beastly.

I actually started going through survivor a few days ago, and I got to the part in Pittsburgh where Ellie's covering you with the rifle before I just got kind of bored with it and switched back to hard. I wouldn't really say that survivor is even more difficult per se, it just forces you to play differently, relying almost entirely on stealth and melee. It becomes Bricks & Bottles: The Game. I mean you can literally go for several hours without crafting anything, which really takes away an enjoyable and important aspect of the game. I kinda wish survivor mode just made you more vulnerable, and maybe added harder enemy configurations or something, but still allowed you a relatively decent amount of supplies. As it is though, I personally think hard mode is the best way to play. You have enough resources and that you can get into some pretty cool firefights occasionally, and you're crafting stuff fairly regularly, but it's still limited to the point that you need to think about what you're doing, and you'll definitely be taken off-guard by the unpredictable A.I. once in awhile.

I actually let my buddy borrow my PS3 last night so he could play the singleplayer (I really want to be able to talk about the story with him), and it's crazy how much I'm missing the game today, even after going through the singleplayer twice. It's just so goddamn fun. I have to agree with Kosciuszko -- I'm pretty sure it's the game of the generation for me as well.

By the way, did you guys get into multiplayer at all? I've only played a few games, but it seems pretty cool, with a surprising amount of depth. It just really requires teamwork, and unfortunately I have no friends on PS3 whatsoever (I only got my console a few months ago). I don't have a mic yet, but if you guys want to play some time I'd definitely be down. At the very least we'll be able to watch each other's back, revive each other, mark enemies, etc.

My PSN name is DustyBuddha. I should have my console back by Wednesday, so let me know if you guys are down for some multiplayer.

I use both bricks and bottles of course, but generally I prefer keeping a brick on-hand. It's a good emergency weapon (out of ammo, melee weapon breaks, no shiv, etc.), especially for clickers. And it seems like bottles are laying around the environment a little more often, but that might just be in my head.

As for melee or ranged...probably a healthy combination of both. I fucking love the bow, but I'm always hesitant to use it in certain areas of the game because there are so few arrows (other parts aren't so bad, like Winter for example). Melee is incredibly satisfying though, especially with the handaxe. That thing is beastly.

One shot kills on unsuspecting humans seems a bit OP for the bow. But it also seems a wee bit of a waste when their best use is vs clickers with the headshot insta kill. Fish in a barrel when the clickers are standing idle.

I haven't found a use for smoke bombs yet, but I've found sugar and explosives seem to be a pretty common resource (at least up to the point I am in the game) so I almost make smoke bombs just so I can keep a resource slot free for future finds.

Love, love, love the emotional security blanket of having 3 triple durability shivs, but it does give me anxiety having to waste an entire shiv on opening those doors. Losing a triple durability shiv to access more resources almost feels like a negative cost:benefit.

I love the TLOU world, if they made a TLOU MMO I would be sorely tempted.

In non-TLOU news (given there's already a dedicated thread for that), I finally managed to track down the PS3 version of the Mass Effect trilogy. EA must have produced only one shipment of the PS3 version and it must have almost sold out globally. There wasn't a single copy to be found at local or online (Aus & NZ) retailers. Play Asia was also out of stock for all region's versions. Amazon UK had 5 copies (new) available (4 shipping from the continent). US version is plentiful on Amazon US, but as I already have ME2 and 3 save data the US version is useless to me.

So ME trilogy (slightly visually improved ME1 I believe) will be delivered soon, and I'll have to ration my time between this and TLOU, once I'm on the NG+ for TLOU.

Bethesda hint that their next game may not be Fallout 4.

If it isn't, hopefully that means they've given the keys to Obsidian. It'd be interesting to see if Bethesda are talking crap in an effort to drum up tension, are jumping straight to a much bigger Elder Scrolls VI or developing a new IP.

The Dream and the Rift

"It seems like a catch-phrase now to say "The Oculus Rift is the future of gaming" - and as skeptical as I am around phrases that get repeated until they lose their meaning, I believe this one to be true. As a developer of a Rift game, there are few people as sunny-eyed as myself, so you'd be right to read this with an eye for bias. But with the experience of putting the Rift build of SoundSelf in front of players at E3, and finally witnessing the VR experiments of other artists, my confidence in this piece of hardware and the company making it is blossoming, and I'll say it myself:

The Oculus Rift is the future of gaming, but not for the reasons you think."

I might go with Oculus Rift HAS a future in gaming, but I don't think it IS the future of gaming.

I am 90% confident I won't ever get one. However if someone created an OR gym where people like me, who don't realy like traditional gym experiences, can go and do an hour of exercise through gaming then I would probably seriously consider taking out a membership, and I'd probably spend far too much time there.

It might have a future, the day it's less massive, cumbersome and heavy.

People's head is heavy enough as it is for them to have neck issues even when not wearing anything; adding this thing on your face for a couple of hours a day will just make things worse very quickly. At least, big headphones are put on the top, so there's no added weight on one side of the head, unbalancing it even more.

Then, I really have no idea if it's good and healthy to have a screen basically a couple of inches right in front of your eyes with your entire focus caught there, for extended periods of time, or if it might have nasty side-effects; that's one area where I really have no idea how things work, so I'm just wondering if it's harmless.

Archived