The Last of Us -- Quickly becoming my favorite game ever.

Francis Buck

Ok I'm a couple hours into the game, and it's just unreal. You can really see the roots of the gameplay are based on Uncharted, but it's so much more than that (less linear). Love the combat system.

I will say this though: the game is really heavy. The violence feels very real, and the 'darkness' of the story may wear people out a bit. In that way, it might not be for everyone. Uncharted, while it had its moments, was way more light-hearted and had a 'summer blockbuster' feel to it. This game is the exact opposite, and might put some people off. If you can handle a heavy story, this game is a must-play. At least so far it is...I have to see where the story ends up.

Edit: comparing it to Bioshock Infinite, this game draws you in right away as opposed to the 'wtf is going on, why am I here' feel I had while playing Bioshock. The ending blew me away and I had to play it through again to see it all tie together and my goodness it was glorious. Last of Us seems like a slow burn so far, and you have a fairly good idea of what's going on. And it has online multiplayer, which is a big bonus against BSI

Picking it up after work today. I've been looking forward to this game for so long, can't wait to play it. Glad to hear people think it's as awesome as the critics have been saying it is.

I love me some Naughty Dog. I was planning to get this on the strength of their name and, as Trisk says, the title, but I was planning to wait a bit til I had some more spare time and the price went down a little. Maybe I shouldn't wait...

@OP, did you try out multiplayer yet? It seems to have a solid one according to reviews, but I'd like to know a user's take on it.

I played about an hour and a half of multiplayer. It's pretty damn fun. To be honest I was a little disappointed when I first saw the MP, as it seemed like it missed a lot of opportunities (no infected in the MP, seemingly lots of weapons and ammo available all the time, no scrounging for resources, etc.). But once I played it, I must admit it's definitely enjoyable. Very different feel from any other MP I've played before. It doesn't quite capture the mood of the singleplayer as well as I think it could have, but it is fun regardless.

Oh, and I just wanted to mention: unless you absolutely hate any kind of challenge in a game whatsoever, then I wholeheartedly suggest you play on the hard difficulty, with "listening mode" turned off. Normal mode gives you WAY too many supplies. It basically just makes it a shooter. Hard, on the other hand, feels perfect. It's like you always have just enough to get through an encounter, and it keeps the tension ratcheted up to ten all the time. Hard is the way this game is meant to be played.

Likewise, the "listening mode" (basically it lets you see through walls by pressing a button) is absolutely retarded. It literally sucks all of the suspense and tension out of the game, which is stupid, because that's basically what the whole game is about. It's a completely unnecessary feature that I can only imagine was added to appease "casuals" (I know, I hate using that phrase, but honestly it's the only way I know how to describe it). Do yourself a favor and turn that shit off before playing.

Oh, and I just wanted to mention: unless you absolutely hate any kind of challenge in a game whatsoever, then I wholeheartedly suggest you play on the hard difficulty, with "listening mode" turned off. Normal mode gives you WAY too many supplies. It basically just makes it a shooter. Hard, on the other hand, feels perfect. It's like you always have just enough to get through an encounter, and it keeps the tension ratcheted up to ten all the time. Hard is the way this game is meant to be played.

Likewise, the "listening mode" (basically it lets you see through walls by pressing a button) is absolutely retarded. It literally sucks all of the suspense and tension out of the game, which is stupid, because that's basically what the whole game is about. It's a completely unnecessary feature that I can only imagine was added to appease "casuals" (I know, I hate using that phrase, but honestly it's the only way I know how to describe it). Do yourself a favor and turn that shit off before playing.

Yeah I'm just finishing up the game on hard with listening mode turned off. Its gut wrenching to say the least, and surround sound helps A LOT when trying to work your way around.

And the multiplayer is surprisingly good, I played on it longer than I thought I would.

I'm playing on normal and getting my ass handed to me in fights. Always running out of ammo because I'm shit at aiming with analog sticks so I miss probably half my shots. I've given up on trying to get headshots cause I miss 99% of those, so killing anything with bullets uses about 4-5 shots. I dunno how you're finding too many supplies on normal, I barely find any and I'm searching every nook and cranny.

I've just been using stealth to kill everything, but if there's more than a couple clickers I'm fucked because I never have enough materials to make more than one shiv, if I even have enough to make one to begin with.

I didn't know you could disable listening mode. Haven't been using it though, X-Ray vision is pretty lame.

Love this game so far...I played most of the day today and will again tomorrow when I wake up. Amazing, beautiful game. And a little creepy. Graphics are stellar. I always love everything Naughty Dog does.

And tbh it's a bit difficult, even on normal. Always having a shiv on hand is a challenge.

I've played for circa five hours now, just met Bill. So far, it's amazing, I'll have to play more until I really can say, but it's definitely top tier this generation, if it keep being good, it might be the best PS3 exclusive game.

The atmosphere and gameplay is really good. The story is solid so far, but not excellent. But it feels very much like introductiin where I'm at so far, so the story will most likely get going soon.

The visuals are stunning too. Good closing game for a generation. I'll play more in a bit.

The atmosphere and gameplay is really good. The story is solid so far, but not excellent. But it feels very much like introductiin where I'm at so far, so the story will most likely get going soon.

The story (and gameplay) is VERY slowburn. I'd say it takes a good three or four hours before it really kicks into gear.

The story (and gameplay) is VERY slowburn. I'd say it takes a good three or four hours before it really kicks into gear.

Yeah, but they do have a subtle storytelling, which is nice. But there hasn't been anything yet that I've felt that : "wow, that is some nice storytelling". It is good, but also very similar to Children of Men. But as I said before, so far most things feel introductory.

But I don't doubt that it'll really amp up soon. I'm at the high school now. The characterization is solid though. As you wrote, the prologue is one of the best I've played. They make you feel for the protagonist within 10 minutes, and most of all, it doesn't feel fake or forced.

That is one of the strengths of the game I think. It has some heart and it feels real.

My boyfriend and I got it. The story is fantastic, the graphics are damn good, and I love the gameplay.

It is very difficult for us both, but its enticing enough to try and try again!

Haven't finished it yet, but intend to soon.

Even one of his friends is drooling to play it, the poor guy doesn't have a PS3!

I honestly think this is one of the best games I've played, if not the best.

I just finished the game and I have to say, it may well be the best game I've played, too.

It is just extraordinary on all levels, and it beats most movies I've seen, in terms of characterization and storytelling. And that isn't to say little. And I was a bit sceptic with the story, but when you get halfway through the game, it really shows how it's done.

And to be honest, at the veginning I didn't think I was going to think it better than Bioshock: Infinite, but The Last of Us is a much better game. You feel so connected to the Joel and Ellie, more than with B:I and they're certainly two of the best video game characters.

The moral greyness of the game is great too, but that may be something best unspoiled.

We should maybe start a spoiler thread so we can discuss the ending more too.

Probably the best game this generation.

I finally got around to beating it last night. After thinking about it for awhile, I can pretty confidently say that it has the best story of any video game that I personally have played. The ending was just...amazing. Not just the events, but even down to the cinematography and editing and climactic scenes, it was genuinely on the level of an Oscar-winning movie. The was indeed pretty predictable throughout, and even up to the end I kind of saw where they were going with it, but then they added one little wrinkle (and executed it brilliantly) that completely changed it up. I'll write more later when I have time.

only been playing for a half hour (just got to Robert), but so far it seems like a standard 3rd person adventure action game

That's like watching the first five minutes of The Godfather and saying "seems like a standard gangster movie".

Archived