The Severed Neck: How The Reeds can become a Major House

AegonSnow

I know nothing about digging canals, but I could imagine that digging through swampland might be significantly more difficult than digging through less extreme terrain. Additionally, even though the Neck is kind of a bottleneck, it still has a significant width. It sounds like that would be an extremely expensive endeavour to undertake for one house alone (and one house who might not even be terribly interested in becoming a new trade hub).

I know nothing about digging canals, but I could imagine that digging through swampland might be significantly more difficult than digging through less extreme terrain. Additionally, even though the Neck is kind of a bottleneck, it still has a significant width. It sounds like that would be an extremely expensive endeavour to undertake for one house alone (and one house who might not even be terribly interested in becoming a new trade hub).

I know almost nothing, but here's my view anyway.

The actual digging should be easier than with a canal through dry land. You can use dredgers as when you deepen a harbor and there's probably nothing to scoop away but loose mud since medieval ships shouldn't need a very deep passage. But the logistics on the other hand would be tougher in the middle of the swamps.

The Reeds could probably not afford this. But the king might and it would be in his interest since it would increase trade a lot and create a bottle neck where tolls could easily be collected. The Iron Bank or even Sealord of Braavos could also be sponsors since it would give the Braavosi trading fleet a fast and safe access route to the gold mines of Lannisport.

I don't think that they have the capacity to create such a canal. They are likely quite poor for a large noble house, and given that they rule over a swamp, they almost certainly have limited manpower as well. Perhaps they could attempt such a project with the support of other Northern houses, but a canal through the Neck would not benefit them as far as I can tell. The Manderleys, the wealthiest Northern vassal, would actually be opposing the canal's creation, as it would undermine their position as the port of the North.

The kingsroad is from north to south, the canal would be from west to east ...

Ah, my mistake. But if that's the case, who would use it? The only port of any significance on the west coast is Lannisport, and a canal would only really shorten the trip for boats coming from White Harbor or Gulltown.

The whole reason the Panama and Suez canals were created (and proved profitable) if because they shortened what were long trade voyages. But since there's nothing beyond the Sunset Sea (that we know of), there wouldn't be much need for a Neck Canal.

I don't really think this would be that useful.

Every ship going to the west through the Neck would have to go around Iron Islands to reach Lannisport or Old Town. Same the opposite way.

Ah, my mistake. But if that's the case, who would use it? The only port of any significance on the west coast is Lannisport, and a canal would only really shorten the trip for boats coming from White Harbor or Gulltown.

The whole reason the Panama and Suez canals were created (and proved profitable) if because they shortened what were long trade voyages. But since there's nothing beyond the Sunset Sea (that we know of), there wouldn't be much need for a Neck Canal.

And for ships from Pentos, Braavos, Lorath and Ibben who could get gold, iron, fur and ivory in the Westerlands, the Iron Islands, the western North and the Frozen Shore.

Not to mention not having to risk the cargo every time by going through the pirate infested Stepstones.

Archived