NBA Finals 2013 Part 3

Mexal

As we're on page 22, lets start a new thread...

The Heat's big three finally come through and the role players are relegated to being just that. When the Spurs role players get going, they're really tough to beat but as we always see, they're not that consistent from game to game. This series thus far has been all about the runs. I hope that changes and we can finally get a competitive final few minutes just to add a layer of excitement we've yet to see.

So heard a stat today that in the game after their last 12 losses, the Heat are 12-0 against the spread. And they've beat the spread by an average of 14 points a game.

It's a ridiculous stat. But it raises the eternal question with these Heat - why the fuck does their performance vary so much? And, are they in the driver's seat this series or is it San Antonio? I'm psyched we're getting at least 6 games, but trying to figure out this Finals hurts my head.

Didn't Miller block Duncan this game? He blocked one of the Spurs bigs. And yet 80% of the time it looks like he cannot stand up straight. I have no idea how those two things are possible.

Also recall a game earlier in the series where Splitter is driving to the hoop with the ball over his head and he swiped it out. This, incidentally, is why I underestimated the threat Indiana posed. The way so many Heat player play, it's like height doesn't matter. Wade's challenging Duncan at the rim, Lebron's rejecting Splitter, Battier (up until recently) is bodying up guys way bigger than him, It seems like it's bulk more than height that bothers them. Or maybe it's because Splitter plays like he's 6'8"...

It's a ridiculous stat. But it raises the eternal question with these Heat - why the fuck does their performance vary so much? And, are they in the driver's seat this series or is it San Antonio? I'm psyched we're getting at least 6 games, but trying to figure out this Finals hurts my head.

You have to think this entire series is the Heat's to lose. The Spurs are good, and will take it if the Heat don't attack, but when both teams are playing at thier best, the Heat win virtually every time. Game 5 is virtually a must win for the Spurs, there is really no way that they win two in a row in Miami. But even if the Spurs win game 5 (and there's a good chance they will) I still think that Miami will wake up and dominate at home. Could they blow it? Absolutely. The team takes their cue from James, and he disappears at times. If those shooters on the Spurs can continue to make contested 3s that are 4-8 feet behind the line, then anything can happen. But to me the Heat still have control.

If the Spurs win it'll be because Ginobili gets something going. He's had a bad series and I want to see him play the way I know he can play. If Ginobili, Parker and Duncan fire, then they can match what the Heat throw at them.

If the Spurs win it'll be because Ginobili gets something going. He's had a bad series and I want to see him play the way I know he can play. If Ginobili, Parker and Duncan fire, then they can match what the Heat throw at them.

To me the most likely scenario of a Spurs win in the series is that they win game 5 the way that they have been winning: defense, rebounding, deep shooting and Tony Parker. But then they win either game 6 or 7 by doing those things AND having Ginobili explode for 30 points. The Heat play so much better with this backs against the wall that I think it's gonna take a little extra to actually eliminate them. And has there ever been a player as consistently inconsistently awesome as Manu Ginobili? He's like the mirror image of Tony Romo, and he fits the bill perfectly.

When the BIg 3 is clicking like yesterday, the Heat are unbeatable. And Manu is playing like garbage. Pop should just let Green, Neal, and Diaw play more minutes

Of course there were plenty of sportswriters and people on this board alike saying the same thing about Wade going into game 4.

Manu is playing terrible, but you never know when he is going to go off. Pop I'm sure is asking himself whether or not he thinks that a Spurs team without Manu can beat the Heat. My guess is that it can't, and I expect that Pop agrees with me and keeps putting Manu out there.

And has there ever been a player as consistently inconsistently awesome as Manu Ginobili?

I would like to believe this is still the case, but maybe it is wishful thinking at this stage. He hasn't been awesome for a while. Very disappointing...

Completely unrelated and irrelevant: Derrick Rose is now 100%, says he feels like himself again. Wow, just in time for...oh wait. Never mind.

Come training camp he'll probably announce some random setback. Despite this news, I still hold to my prediction, however ridiculous it is, that Kobe will return before Rose.

Completely unrelated and irrelevant: Derrick Rose is now 100%, says he feels like himself again. Wow, just in time for...oh wait. Never mind.

Come training camp he'll probably announce some random setback. Despite this news, I still hold to my prediction, however ridiculous it is, that Kobe will return before Rose.

I have to imagine they are for real this time around, and that Rose, who is now said to be at 100% at last, will really start the season. If he doesn't, there's no telling if he will ever return. I am taking these words from the Chicago camp in a positive light, and fully expect Rose to be back from game 1.

As for Bryant, their current plan is that he will be back close to the start of the season as well, he may not miss near as much as feared at first.

Another injury worry, Danny Granger, has sort of hinted that he would not mind coming off the bench at Indiana. He's stated is relieved not to be the no.1 scoring option for them anymore. He too is expected to back at the start of the season.

On this series, I've really been enjoying every game. It's been such an ebb and flow, impossible to say who will in this. I can see Miami choke some more and Spurs take it. I can see Miami getting two more top games from their big three and take it. It will be close, because the two teams are very evenly matched. The Spurs are hampered by the abominable Ginobili performance, which Green and Neal are doing everything to offset. Splitter is made to look like a laughing stock unfortunately, but he does bring some good elements to the Spurs play as well.

I do think a fit OKC team vs this Spurs team would have been an incredible Western Conference final as well, and hard to say who would have won this time around.

A rumor is gaining steam that the Celtics will trade Kevin Garnett and Doc Rivers (yes, the coach) to the Clippers for DeAndre Jordan and two first rounders. Celtics still want Eric Bledsoe in the deal which right now is the hangup. Boston seems to be indicating they're going into full rebuild mode whereas the Clippers are trying to do everything possible to make Chris Paul happy. Makes sense.

Even more interesting is the reason the Clippers don't want to give up Bledsoe is they want to package him and Blake Griffin to the Lakers for Dwight Howard. Chris Paul and Howard have talked about uniting in at least three different cities by count (Atlanta, Houston and LA) and considering he and Griffin aren't on the same wavelength, maybe this is the easiest way to make it happen. Of course it requires the Lakers being willing to trade with the Clippers.

There's also talk of bringing in Paul Pierce and creating a Boston West in LA just because these are the kind of things that always happen to Bill Simmons and was probably inevitable since he adopted the Clippers as a second team.

If all this goes down (which is unlikely, but still) the Clippers would start a lineup of Paul, Crawford, Pierce, Garnett, Howard and coached by Doc Rivers. That'd be fascinating to watch for a lot of reasons, but not least of which because the new "superteam" status would shift from one LA team to the other and because in construction it would be the polar opposite of the Heat in almost every way. Kinda wanna see it happen to be honest...

From the Lakers perspective, Griffin is a fine player and could be a key piece going forward if he's moved to LAL. And Bledsoe is a potential star combo guard. But for me it's troubling how nearly all his stats have been going down steadily since his rookie season (22 and 11 down to 18 and 8 last season?). I think the clippers might be aware of that and hence are willing to deal him. That said when Howard's the return on a deal like this, Griffin is easy to put on the trade block. Even if Dwight himself is on a downward trajectory.

Edit: forget what I said about Griffin's stats, he's averaging less and less minutes than he did in his rookie season, which could explain the decline. Still, his efficiency has gone down each year. That said he definitely seems like a much better personality than the headcase that is Dwight. I dunno, if I were the Lakers I'd give it some consideration. Blake and Bledsoe would give more youth to an old ass team for sure.

If this is all true (Í've been reading these rumours as well), I don't really understand the Clippers.

That is because I don't see why they would want Garnett and Pierce. Do they really feel these guys still have in them to make a new Clippers team great the next couple of seasons?

Much more sense makes trying to lure Dwight Howard in to appease Chris Paul, by trading Bledsoe and Griffin to the Lakers. That must surely be very tempting to the Lakers, because aside from the obvious value of Griffin, you finally get a good point guard for the future who will prove himself. Bledsoe could even replace Nash this season already. And Paul will like it because they get rid of Griffin, and Howard will like it because he wants to play with Paul and he may want to stay in LA. I still like Howard at Houston better, but this is interesting as well.

Seems like the Clippers want either Hollins or Rivers as coach, which also makes sense. But this whole idea of getting the old Celtics Garnett and Pierce doesn't seem that valuable to me. And if it means they have to give up Bledsoe to the Celtics, then Bledsoe will once again be back-up guard to Rajon Rondo, also less appealing than going to the Lakers. Of course that may not matter to the Clippers.

I do think that Garnet and Pierce can still bring something especially if they're on a team with Howard and Paul. While they are over the hill, they also still carried a Rondo-less team to a game 6 of a playoff series. And that was as the top players on that team. KG and PP as your top players? Not that enticing KG and PP as your 3rd and 4th players tops? Very nice.

Yeah, agreed. I think to some extent Pierce but especially Garnett are the kind of guys you want (and need) as veteran contributors to a playoff team. I like Garnett more for his defense and his ability to be effective without dominating the ball. If think what this Finals teaches us is there's always going to be room for guys who can bury jumpers and play defense and that goes double for guys who can do both. Nevertheless the point looks to be moot as talks have stalled.

Feeling excitement for Game 5 and nervousness for San Antonio. Need Manu to contribute, Parker's hamstring to stay attached and Green and Neal to keep doing what they've been doing. I think it'll take all those things to take this one because I think the Heat are done getting in their own way. But honestly with this series, who the fuck knows....

ETA: A gutty fadeaway 3 by Manu over Bosh is a good way to start.

ETA2: I think Manu's equaled his series total in points in the first 5 minutes.

ETA3: Was kidding about the whole "Heat being done getting in their own way" thing. I think at this point Lebron just periodically gets orders from Stern to be passive to a fault so as to maximize the drama of the series.

I am though I have to be up at 4:30 so won't get to see the whole thing. The Spurs can't miss again.

Ahh, Mex, say it ain't so!

Even with the 9 point lead and Danny Green being incredible (again), there's two main concerns: 1) Lebron's gotten going and 2) Parker's pain-reducing shot could wear out in the second half, like it did in Game 4. I don't feel remotely confident picking a winner.

Archived