Who really is the Heir to Robert Baratheon?

Rodrik Storm

I don't think they do, not even when they are loading him up on a ship. Though I'd be interested to see the quote where you say it happens, to see what the context was.

ASOS Steel and Snow :

Davos chapter pg154-(Davoc calls him Lord after they introduce themselves and stuff)

Davos chapter pg527- (Davos calls him Edric before Stannis though)

ASOS Blood and Gold Davos chapter pg284 onwards

Yeah you are correct with regards to context. Only Davos and Maester Pylos call him Lord, on one or two occasions, and that's probably in his character due to his low birth. Although maybe Penrose and others called him Lord at Storm's End during the siege..

Ser Andrew Estermont calls him coz..

Anyway, I reckon he'll have a role somewhere down the track. He is currently in the Free City of Lys so I think Varys will use him to bring the Storm lands together..Maybe that's why he sent presents and kept an eye on him. My prediction anyway.

If he were legitimized then his name wouldn't be Edric Storm.

Could go either way, actually. See: Brynden Rivers. A legitimized bastard, but keeping a bastard's name.

But no, Edric Storm wasn't legitimized.

The Baratheon succession does allow for female succession, Myrcella is clearly Tommens heir and Shireen is clearly Stannis's heir.

In the original order of succession at the start of the series I believe it goes like this:-

Robert

Joffrey

Tommen

Myrcella

Stannis

Shireen

Renly

When Stannis and Renly tried to settle their differences Stannis offered to put Renly ahead of Shireen IF he agreed to support his claim to the throne.

He would not have done that if Renly was ahead of Shireen in the first place.

Beyond the four surviving Baratheons (or claimed Baratheons) it is unclear where the Baratheon claim goes. Steffon Baratheon had no siblings that have been mentioned in the books but any descendants of them would have a claim. Further back on the family tree any Baratheons would have a claim to the Stormlands (if all royal Baratheons are dead) but not the Iron throne since only descendants of Rhaelle Targaryen can have a "Royal" claim to the Iron Throne, other Great Houses would have just as strong a claim on the Iron Throne as these "non-royal" Baratheons.

The current situation leaves House Baratheon in a VERY vunerable position with a split into two factions and three of the remaining four children. House Baratheon could very likely be extinct by the end of the series.

I don't think the child Cersei had with Robert survived. In Maggy the Frogs prophecy, Maggy says Cersei will have 3 children and Robert 16. Joffrey, Tommen, Myrcella already make the 3, so I doubt if anyone else survived.

Like I said, it's so completely unlikely that we can assume it to be false. Not only would they have to beat the long odd for survival, but it would take some serious prophesy fudging (like her not counting the child, so the prophesy doesn't either). The only possible evidence that it could possibly be true is that the show changed it to a son that was born, but died in infancy (as some sort of switch, while unlikely, would be an easier pill to swallow than an abandoned extreme premature baby surviving in a medieval environment) which is far more likely to just be a humanizing moment for Cersei.

Archived