Who is the third Dragon? (BOOK SPOILERS)

I don't think this has been mentioned elsewhere so I thought I would ask the question.

The Dragon has Three Heads.

Lets assume that Aegon Targaryen (sixth of his name) is actually a fake as is widely thought due to prophecies and theories etc. Let's also assume that Jon Snow is actually a Targaryen and a true born son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark as is also widely believed in theories. Finally, lets assume Daenerys Targaryen actually comes to Westeros at some point to reclaim the throne. We can all agree that she is blood of the dragon and a true Targaryen but with George RR Martin anything is possible! but for the sake of argument she is a Targaryen.

If all the above is true, and the Dragon has three heads, who is the third dragon? Daenerys and Jon will ride Drogon and Viserion respectively, as Viserion is the white dragon, and Jon has an affiliation with snow and his white direwolf Ghost. Who will ride Rhaegal?

Just one other thing I thought I would add. In a prophetic dream that Jon had he saw himself fighting the others on the wall armoured in black ice wielding a flaming sword or words to that effect. This really makes him look as Azor Ahai by the way. George RR Martin is very symbolic so I thought the black ice could be Drogon that he is either riding or warging into, and the flaming sword could simply be dragon fire that he's breathing. Any comments or takers on this theory?

First, welcome to the forum.

It`s my opinion that three heads are not reffered to three dragons aka three persons. I think Rhaegar was wrong here, and that he needed only one child, the one he would get with Lyanna. That way Jon, is both song of ice and fire, and three headed dragon. Remember the prophecy about PTWP talked about one, not three persons.

Also, three riders isn`t the same as three heads... Rider can be anyone...

Interesting theory, but I think Drogon is reserved to Dany.

As for the third dragon head, there are a number of possibilities:

-Aegon (which would work if he isn't a fake but in all honesty- what are the odds?)

-Tyrion (if he is a Targ, or maybe even if he isn't but on the other hand- that would be ridiculous)

-Victarion (he is badass enough, but he is also an idiot and a brutish asshole so I would not be happy with it)

-Bran (he is constantly told he will fly and is a super warg, but he is miles and miles away and probably doesn't give much about Dany or her dragons. Something about it doesn't work...)

It`s my opinion that three heads are not reffered to three dragons aka three persons. I think Rhaegar was wrong here, and that he needed only one child, the one he would get with Lyanna. That way Jon, is both song of ice and fire, and three headed dragon. Remember the prophecy about PTWP talked about one, not three persons.

This. The Dragon has Three Heads refers to someone with three sides to them. Not three individual people. That would be The Three Dragons have Three Heads.

I just had an idea... I might not be the first to think this, but the fact that Jon Snow is dreaming of something in the future indicates, to me, that he might be a Targaryan! Isn't it a Targ-thing to have these dreams?

Welcome newbie. I would suggest reading pinned thread on page 1 - R+L =J. It`s long-standing theory about Jon being Rhaegar`s and Lyanna`s son.

:agree: one person three hypostasis. Imo Jon Snow the 3headed dragon

Firstly, I'm not sure that the dragon having three heads means three dragon riders.

Aegon the Conqueror and his two sisters rode their three dragons to Westeros.

The dragon having three heads could mean a lot of things.

Dany has Drogon for now, but a dragon can be killed, or bound to another person.

Given that Dragons don't actually have three heads, the three heads are symbolism for three dragon riders at any given time, although the three sides to one perrson is a nice idea. Clearly Dany will be one (definetely Drogon), Jon Snow will be the second (and will probably be called The Ice Dragon because of his Northern & beyond the wall influences). The third might be Tyrion i suppose but I hope not, Tyrion's major weapon has always been his intelligence, giving him a dragon will take away from that. I'm quite clueless as to the rider of the third dragon if not Tyrion.

Personally I hop Jon stays dead. He is a terribly written, tiresome and annoying character that actually adds nothing to the books other than POV to the WALL. I hope he is not one of the three dragons, but seems pretty likely because of him being who he is in reality.

To be honest, I think Aegon is real and that he may be last of the heads of the dragon.

As they are generally the "three main characters" of the series, imo moreso then anyone else (maybe arya/Bran are right up there but not as big as those 3) the most cliche answer, and if this was any other series the heavy heavy favorite would be is Dany/Tyrion/Jon

I think the show has given us some hints that Tyrion might not be Tywin's son (so presumably he would be aerys's) when Tywin says (i cannot proove you are not mine, but you are a lannister and I raised you as my son"

im sure its been discussed by Tywins general distain towards Tyrion based on his conversation seems to come from more than the fact hes a midget and killed his mother in childbirth, as in Tywin knew Aerys was with his wife quite often and probably presumed he impregnated her w Tyrion

the next best guess would be a martell character and a greyjoy, as they are "minor" in respect to the other houses the story is centered around and obviously have been brought into the fold for a bigger purpose (arianne and vic being obvious choices here)

Welcome newbie. I would suggest reading pinned thread on page 1 - R+L =J. It`s long-standing theory about Jon being Rhaegar`s and Lyanna`s son.

Yes, I read it already, just didn't remember if, what I thought of, already had been mentioned ��

I don't think the "dragon has 3 heads" prophecy is going to be spelled out clearly. The number 3 has a huge amount of significance in folkore, religion, and fantasy. To say the importance of the phrase has any 1 specific meaning seems to be a little narrow minded IMO. It's an all of the above type thing. 3 dragons, 3 riders, 3 titles, etc... it's not just 1 meaning.

Or maybe the new dragon with three heads will be new marriage of three. In normal marriage two become one, in Targ's marriage three become one - three heads, one dragon.

Since Aegon I had 2 wives and three of them formed one dragon, next three headed dragon could be Targ with 2 husbands or Targ with two wives. It is possible that husbands or wives don't have to be Targs also.

Rhaegar wanted to name his children after Aegon the Conqueror and his two sister-wives (Rhaenys and Visenya) So Rhaegar named his daughter Rhaenys and his son Aegon and would have most likely named Jon something similar to Visenya.

Assuming the Dragon has 3 heads refers to 3 different riders riding Dany's Dragons, I think Jon is destined to ride Viserion.

Jon would ride Viserion. Viserion is very similar to Visenya. Viserion is described as cream in color and is known as the white dragon, much like Ghost, Jon's white direwolf.

Dany would ride Drogon. She already has.

Rhaegal is really up in the air. Some characteristics are he is green, his eyes are bronze, and Barriston Selmy says Rhaegal has shown himself as more dangerous than Viserion. Some ideas: Tyrion, Jaime, Bran riding, Bran warging, Bloodraven warging, Victarion with the Dragon Horn, Euron with the Dragon Horn, Aegon if he turns out real, umm Arya, umm Stannis.

This. The Dragon has Three Heads refers to someone with three sides to them. Not three individual people. That would be The Three Dragons have Three Heads.

Everyone, ever has more than three sides to them. Martin limiting one character to being only three aspects goes against everything his characters stand for.

Archived