Who is the third Dragon? (BOOK SPOILERS)

I've got to say I hope the theory about Tyrion being a Targ is false. To me it would lessen the impact of the Lannister family dynamic. Sometimes I think the prophecy isn't even real and GRRM is just screwing with us (and his characters). He did say there were "false narratives".

tptwp and the three headed dragon has nothing to do with each other...Rheagar just said something like the the dragon has 3 heads and that he thought Aegon was tptwp....2 completely different things....but who knows hahhahah this is GRRM so anything goes!

Actually Rhaegar indicated "there must be one more, the Dragon has three heads."

Hmmm "there must be one more" seems Rhaegar kind of thinks he needs one more kid, cause the Dragon has three heads.

It's pretty cut and dry. Some fans just want to be right about something. No matter how bad there theories are. "No don't you see." I enjoy watching the desperation.

The three-headed dragon is the symbol for House Targaryen. When the Targaryens took control of Westeros it completely changed how the 7 Kingdoms were ruled in that all seven were eventually, after the belated capitulation of Dorne, unified. It seems to me that the prophesies (sp?) regarding the 3-headed dragon may not be so literal, rather, portentious of yet another seismic change in Politik-Westeros.

Dany is definatley one dragon and I believe also jon snow is but when I first heard people thought either Tyrion or Jaime and Cersei were targaryens I thought they were crazy.. but when I think it about it more there might be a good chance Tyrion came from Joanna and Aerys. Heres a few reasons why..

Tyrion has white blonde hair like a typical targaryen. Other lannisters are said to have golden hair. He also is said to have a black eye but it could possibly be dark purple.

Tyrion is constantly reading and is very intelligent. Rhaegar as a child read many books and was said to be extremely smart as well. Obviously tyrion could not become a knight like rhaegar because he's a dwarf, but they do have the brains in common. I believe the 3 dragons have similar characteristics to rhaegar.. Dany is said to be much like rhaegar and jon is assumed his son..

Tywin's quotes.

"..You are no...no son of mine"

Theres other ones but i dont feel like looking them up. But maybe Tywin possibly knew or had an idea tyrion was a targaryen bastard but did not want the shame involved which would make the lannister house look bad. Tywin also didnt have proof or didn't want bad blood with the targaryens (he wanted to marry cersei to rhaegar)

The fact that in the first book jon snow and tyrion took a liking to each other. If they are the other 2 dragons I think GRRM purposely did that early in the series so readers would think nothing of it.

These are just off the top of my head

Some really good theories here. The "Tyrion is a Targaryen" theory is relatively new to me but there is definitely justification for that theory. his eyes being green and black, black often being misinterpreted when it is in fact purple. The purple of Targaryen eyes. The fact he could be Aerys II Targaryen's son is definitely possible.

I personally wouldn't like it, but it seems likely. The final piece of evidence that i don't think anyone has mentioned is the prophecy Moqorro the red priest made for Tyrion:

"Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all."

The old and young dragon could be Bloodraven and the young dragon could be Daenerys, the true dragon could be Daenerys' new born dragon(s) and the false dragon could be Aegon VI. Then there's Tyrion "snarling in the midst of all" meaning he's with them, or snarling at them? I'm not sure.

There's also the dream that Tyrion had when travelling through Pentos I think it was (further adding fuel to the fire that he's a Targaryen due to the foretelling powers) where he see's himself fighting alongside Bittersteel and Ser Barristan on the hills of Westeros (maybe meaning the Westerlands/Casterly Rock as their bastard name is Hill)

I would prefer him not to be a Targaryen but I would like the twist all the same.

Does anyone think it could be Stannis or Gendry/ Edric Storm/ Mya Stone? they're all blood of the dragon technically being both Baratheon and the Baratheon's marrying into the Targaryens.

"Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all."[/

Does anyone think it could be Stannis or Gendry/ Edric Storm/ Mya Stone? they're all blood of the dragon technically being both Baratheon and the Baratheon's marrying into the Targaryens.

The quote makes me think tyrion will not be a dragon, but he will team with Dany or whoever else will try to win back the throne. I also find it hard to believe he could be a dragon but you never know..

Stannis could be the other dragon since hes half targaryen. I dont believe it would be any of roberts bastards, they would only be at most quarter targaryen, less then the other good candidates.

Dany is definatley one dragon and I believe also jon snow is but when I first heard people thought either Tyrion or Jaime and Cersei were targaryens I thought they were crazy.. but when I think it about it more there might be a good chance Tyrion came from Joanna and Aerys. Heres a few reasons why..

Tyrion has white blonde hair like a typical targaryen. Other lannisters are said to have golden hair. He also is said to have a black eye but it could possibly be dark purple.

Tyrion is constantly reading and is very intelligent. Rhaegar as a child read many books and was said to be extremely smart as well. Obviously tyrion could not become a knight like rhaegar because he's a dwarf, but they do have the brains in common. I believe the 3 dragons have similar characteristics to rhaegar.. Dany is said to be much like rhaegar and jon is assumed his son..

Tywin's quotes.

"..You are no...no son of mine"

Theres other ones but i dont feel like looking them up. But maybe Tywin possibly knew or had an idea tyrion was a targaryen bastard but did not want the shame involved which would make the lannister house look bad. Tywin also didnt have proof or didn't want bad blood with the targaryens (he wanted to marry cersei to rhaegar)

The fact that in the first book jon snow and tyrion took a liking to each other. If they are the other 2 dragons I think GRRM purposely did that early in the series so readers would think nothing of it.

These are just off the top of my head

I think Tyrion as a Targ is just reaching and would cheapen his interactions with Tywin. Tywin never liked the idea of Tyrion as a son, and I'm sure he liked it even less when there was a crossbow bolt sticking out of him; there's no more to it than that. After that you are no son of mine quote Tyrion goes on to rebut his father matter-of-factly saying he is his son, cut from the same cloth and that Tywin needs to hurry up and die. And this between Jamie and Tywin's sister Genna in AFFC:

"Tywin was big even when he was little."She gave a sigh. "Who will protect us now?"

Jaime kissed her cheek. "He left a son."

"Aye, he did. That is what I fear the most, in truth."

That was a queer remark. "Why should you fear?"

"Jaime," she said, tugging on his ear, "sweetling, I have known you since you were a babe at Joanna's breast. You smile like Gerion and fight like Tyg, and there's some of Kevan in you, else you would not wear that cloak... but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you.

As for Aerys' lust for Tywin's wife Joanna, well that would probably implicate Jamie/Cersei a lot more than Tyrion, since they were born well before Tyrion and Aerys joked on the wedding night about wishing there was still first night. Not that I believe Jamie/Cersei are secret Targ theories either, I think the quote about Aerys and Joanna was a red herring meant to stir up crackpot secret Targ theories.

Actually Rhaegar indicated "there must be one more, the Dragon has three heads."

Hmmm "there must be one more" seems Rhaegar kind of thinks he needs one more kid, cause the Dragon has three heads.

It's pretty cut and dry. Some fans just want to be right about something. No matter how bad there theories are. "No don't you see." I enjoy watching the desperation.

yeah i definitely think that the 3 headed dragon is meant to be 3 character and all with the blood of the dragon (TARG or even Blackfyre?)

yeah i definitely think that the 3 headed dragon is meant to be 3 character and all with the blood of the dragon (TARG or even Blackfyre?)

I'm not sure about the third dragon being a Blackfyre. The prophecy Daenerys had in the house of the undying said to "beware the mummers dragon" which I, and many others, think is probably Aegon VI as a Blackfyre. So after hearing that would she still get in bed (figuratively) with Aegon VI?

the options are limited though aren't they.

I'm not sure about the third dragon being a Blackfyre. The prophecy Daenerys had in the house of the undying said to "beware the mummers dragon" which I, and many others, think is probably Aegon VI as a Blackfyre. So after hearing that would she still get in bed (figuratively) with Aegon VI?

the options are limited though aren't they.

yes very limited lol

i also believe that Aegon VI is a Blackfyre.....so that leave us with jon, danny, and ????? who knows!......i don't really buy Tyrion being a Targ???

I think Tyrion as a Targ is just reaching and would cheapen his interactions with Tywin. Tywin never liked the idea of Tyrion as a son, and I'm sure he liked it even less when there was a crossbow bolt sticking out of him; there's no more to it than that. After that you are no son of mine quote Tyrion goes on to rebut his father matter-of-factly saying he is his son, cut from the same cloth and that Tywin needs to hurry up and die. And this between Jamie and Tywin's sister Genna in AFFC:

"Tywin was big even when he was little."She gave a sigh. "Who will protect us now?"

Jaime kissed her cheek. "He left a son."

"Aye, he did. That is what I fear the most, in truth."

That was a queer remark. "Why should you fear?"

"Jaime," she said, tugging on his ear, "sweetling, I have known you since you were a babe at Joanna's breast. You smile like Gerion and fight like Tyg, and there's some of Kevan in you, else you would not wear that cloak... but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you.

As for Aerys' lust for Tywin's wife Joanna, well that would probably implicate Jamie/Cersei a lot more than Tyrion, since they were born well before Tyrion and Aerys joked on the wedding night about wishing there was still first night. Not that I believe Jamie/Cersei are secret Targ theories either, I think the quote about Aerys and Joanna was a red herring meant to stir up crackpot secret Targ theories.

That makes sense... But Aerys could have hooked up with Joanna at a later time.. I dont have evidence from the book at a time/place but it maybe could have happened.. At tywins wedding we just learn aerys was attracted to joanna. Doesnt mean he had sex with her that night

The quote from genna to jaime just implies tyrion was more like tywin than jaime. Doesnt necessarily mean tywin was tyrions father.

I dont totally belive tyrion is a targaryen, but to me it makes more sense he is rather than jaime/cersei. The whole relationship between tywin and tyrion feels like a bad father/son relationship since tyrion is a dwarf and drinks an whores and tywin never loved him. Im just looking at possibilities.

Rememer also tywin wouldnt make tyrion his heir at castley rock and aerys put jaime in the kingsguard.... Maybe because they both knew tyrion was a bastard

yes very limited lol

i also believe that Aegon VI is a Blackfyre.....so that leave us with jon, danny, and ????? who knows!......i don't really buy Tyrion being a Targ???

Apparently some theories are flying around about Bloodraven being the three eyed crow. If he is the three eyed crow, then he could potentially be the third dragon or the "old" dragon in the prophecy tyrion heard from Moqorro (Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all)

That is if he can get out of the heart tree Bran found him in... possibility?

As I said at the beginning of this thread, lets assume Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen will ride a dragon each. Then I think the list of potential third dragons from what I've read so far is limited to:

Tyrion Lannister

Aegon VI Targaryen (or Aegon I Blackfyre lol)

Stannis Baratheon (or bastards of Robert)

Bloodraven

I don't know if I would like it to be Stark, it would seem like too much of a Stark fest at the end with Jon being half stark too. Starks for the win. They're honourable but not necessarily the good guys depending on whose POV you're looking at it from.

"The Dragon" may not even be an actual dragon, but a metaphor for the Targaryen family, to be headed by 3 people, Jon (if he's actually the legitimate child of Rhaegar and Lyanna), Dany, and (genuine) Aegon. Which would include almost all the live Targs, of course, giving a rotten chief-to-Indian ratio, but this is fantasy, so that doesn't matter.

tptwp and the three headed dragon has nothing to do with each other...Rheagar just said something like the the dragon has 3 heads and that he thought Aegon was tptwp....2 completely different things....but who knows hahhahah this is GRRM so anything goes!

actually we don't know it. If you read the thread you might understand what I mean

actually we don't know it. If you read the thread you might understand what I mean

i have read your thread twice n books at least 4 times....i do understand your points...however i see it differently lol but is all fun...nobody knows...all we do is theorized based on what we are reading...but the truth is what GRRM decides it is at the end of the story....

Archived