Who is the third Dragon? (BOOK SPOILERS)

I think maybe GRRM is trying to throw us off in the books with the barristen quote about tywin and aerys about joanna in ADWD regarding the whole lannisters as targs theories. Martin knows people everywhere are so into the books and are analyzing them, he wants to keep us guessing and thinking about it. The bottom line is were gonna have to simply wait and find out.

There are three POV characters in the series who:

Are third children of their fathers.

Were born to mothers who died giving birth to them.

Killed their lover

Were thrust into ruling by forces beyond their control, and are willing to risk all by doing justice

Were symbolically reborn amid smoke and salt and the bleeding star (1, 2, 3)

It kind of seems pretty obvious to me.

My big theory about this is that the three riders will be Dany and her two BROTHERS (or, possibly, a cousin or an uncle. Some close relative). Why? Because when Aegon Targaryan came across the narrow sea and first conquered westeros, he did so with his two SISTERS on the other dragons. GRRM likes his symbolism. It makes perfect sense that if the first time it was one man and his two sisters the second time it would be one woman and her two brothers (or other relatives- we really dont know much about Aegon).

Each of the people must have three sides- thus the three headed dragon. These sides will be different for each person. And each person, of course, must be a Targaryan.

First, Dany. Her father was Aerys Targaryan, her mother was Rhaella, and her brother was Viserys (the one she knew about, anyway). She had two birth parents who died, and one brother who raised her. In a way, she had three heads in this respect; she was both a sister, a child, and a servant to Viserys. When he died, she was left as Khaleesi. She is rightful Queen of Westeros as well, and becomes Queen of the Slave Cities in the course of the books. Another three heads.

Dany will ride Drogon; she already has.

Viserion, the White dragon, seems perfectly suited to Jon Snow. I know lots of people believe this, and I am one of them. My reasoning is this: He was born to two birth parents, but was raised by someone who was not one of them. He was raised by Ned Stark, who I believe is his uncle (R+L=J). If R+L=J holds true, he is Danyeris's... nephew? I think nephew. There is also, I believe, the possibility (not a strong one, but present) that Aerys the Mad King could have raped lyanna and concieved Jon, but I dont think that is what happened. In that case, he would be her brother.

Jon also holds to the "three heads" idea in other ways: Jon Snow, Jon Stark, Jon Targaryan. Bastard, Lord Commander, Warg. He will ride Viserion, I think.

Tyrion, I think, is the third.

His three "dragons" are as follows: Regicide (though, not willing), Patricide, Matricide (not deliberate, but still present). Raised again by only one parental figure (who, if this theory holds true, was not his true father). He would be Dany's brother if Aerys were his father (which I think is likely). He is also a Brother, a husband, and a Bastard Son (all dwarfs are bastards in their fathers eyes). He has also been Hand of the King, Master of Coin, and now he is a slave (his three major positions).

Tyrion will ride Rhaegal.

That's my theory.

Here's a thought - what if Azor Ahai & The Prince that was Promised could be multiple people? Like the Gods have their fingers in multiple pies and there is some sort of ritual the person who will become AA & TPTWP must do to cement their position?

Here's a thought - what if Azor Ahai & The Prince that was Promised could be multiple people? Like the Gods have their fingers in multiple pies and there is some sort of ritual the person who will become AA & TPTWP must do to cement their position?

yeah i definitely think it could be 2 different people....maybe Danny is TPTWP and Jon is AA...prophecies are not always accurate and are often interpret differently (all depends on the interpreter point of view or bias)...

yeah i definitely think it could be 2 different people....maybe Danny is TPTWP and Jon is AA...prophecies are not always accurate and are often interpret differently (all depends on the interpreter point of view or bias)...

If only the writter himself hadn't say that TPTWP and AAR is the same person...

• 1 year later...

There are three POV characters in the series who:

Are third children of their fathers.

Were born to mothers who died giving birth to them.

Killed their lover

Were thrust into ruling by forces beyond their control, and are willing to risk all by doing justice

Were symbolically reborn amid smoke and salt and the bleeding star (1, 2, 3)

It kind of seems pretty obvious to me.

It would be so lame if Tyrion really is one of the riders. Is he also a secret targ? Lame.

First, we know from Martin that not all riders need be Targaryens, so Tyrion does not need to be Aerys' son to be a dragon rider - and I'll concede he could be, it turns out the timing does allow for that. I just don't think he is. I do think he, Dany, and Jon are the most likely - I think there's two big trios among the POVs (the other being Sansa, Arya, Bran) and the various parallels already stated between Dany, Jon, and Tyrion indicate their connection to me. Dany is a Targ, Jon is almost certainly one, Tyrion is fascinated by dragons and his potential Targ-ness hasn't been disproven.

Of course, if we're going to insist on a need for Targ blood, I will point out that being fake doesn't discredit Blue Aegon - if the Blackfyre or Brightfyre theories are true, then he's still of Targaryen descent, just not from the branch of the family tree he thinks he's from.

Outlier possibilities include the remaining Baratheons/Baratheon bastards if we're looking for Targ blood - Shireen's dreams may indicate the blood being stronger in her, but Stannis on a dragon would be a weird sort of cool. If we're not, Bran is quite possible, and Arya's skinchanging could make her a candidate. Beyond that, hard to say. Bran, I think, is more likely to be a sort of mission control, though, connecting to Jon among the riders and someone else among the ground forces (I don't think it'll be three dragons vs Others and no land battle.).

Actually Rhaegar indicated "there must be one more, the Dragon has three heads."

Hmmm "there must be one more" seems Rhaegar kind of thinks he needs one more kid, cause the Dragon has three heads.

It's pretty cut and dry. Some fans just want to be right about something. No matter how bad there theories are. "No don't you see." I enjoy watching the desperation.

and Rhaegar was completely right because ...

My big theory about this is that the three riders will be Dany and her two BROTHERS (or, possibly, a cousin or an uncle. Some close relative). Why? Because when Aegon Targaryan came across the narrow sea and first conquered westeros, he did so with his two SISTERS on the other dragons. GRRM likes his symbolism. It makes perfect sense that if the first time it was one man and his two sisters the second time it would be one woman and her two brothers (or other relatives- we really dont know much about Aegon).

Each of the people must have three sides- thus the three headed dragon. These sides will be different for each person. And each person, of course, must be a Targaryan.

First, Dany. Her father was Aerys Targaryan, her mother was Rhaella, and her brother was Viserys (the one she knew about, anyway). She had two birth parents who died, and one brother who raised her. In a way, she had three heads in this respect; she was both a sister, a child, and a servant to Viserys. When he died, she was left as Khaleesi. She is rightful Queen of Westeros as well, and becomes Queen of the Slave Cities in the course of the books. Another three heads.

Dany will ride Drogon; she already has.

Viserion, the White dragon, seems perfectly suited to Jon Snow. I know lots of people believe this, and I am one of them. My reasoning is this: He was born to two birth parents, but was raised by someone who was not one of them. He was raised by Ned Stark, who I believe is his uncle (R+L=J). If R+L=J holds true, he is Danyeris's... nephew? I think nephew. There is also, I believe, the possibility (not a strong one, but present) that Aerys the Mad King could have raped lyanna and concieved Jon, but I dont think that is what happened. In that case, he would be her brother.

Jon also holds to the "three heads" idea in other ways: Jon Snow, Jon Stark, Jon Targaryan. Bastard, Lord Commander, Warg. He will ride Viserion, I think.

Tyrion, I think, is the third.

His three "dragons" are as follows: Regicide (though, not willing), Patricide, Matricide (not deliberate, but still present). Raised again by only one parental figure (who, if this theory holds true, was not his true father). He would be Dany's brother if Aerys were his father (which I think is likely). He is also a Brother, a husband, and a Bastard Son (all dwarfs are bastards in their fathers eyes). He has also been Hand of the King, Master of Coin, and now he is a slave (his three major positions).

Tyrion will ride Rhaegal.

That's my theory.

Rhaegal is Green and Bronze, First Men colours. That is Bran's at some point to skinchange, maybe Jon's to ride. Viserion's marks are clearly about Visery's White Hair and molten gold crown, if Tyrion rides any it might be Viserion but I don't think anything about the dragon itself lends itself to Tyrion beyond his family having gold mines.

Archived