[BOOK SPOILERS] TV Series Improvements on the Story?

AryaBaratheon

I’m going to say it, even though everyone is going to disagree with me. I kind of like Robb-Talisa more than Robb-Jeyne. I realize in this world Talisa’s story didn’t make a whole lot of sense. Isn’t she just a camp follower? Isn’t it more likely she would have been raped by some random guy in the Northern army?

Still though, I enjoyed those scenes more than Robb storming a castle, sleeping with a girl, and then marrying her because he feels bad.

I think I’m also in the minority on the Tyrells on the show. I dislike how they’ve been characterized. The show worked too hard to make them ‘modern’ and likable. Book Loras can be kind but he’s also a bit of an arrogant jerk. Not to mention he straight-up massacred two members of Renly's Kingsguard. For some reason, the show delighted in turning him into a modern caricature of a gay man. He likes fancy clothes! Cause he’s gay! Hilarious!

Embarrassing.

I’m going to say it, even though everyone is going to disagree with me. I kind of like Robb-Talisa more than Robb-Jeyne. I realize in this world Talisa’s story didn’t make a whole lot of sense. Isn’t she just a camp follower? Isn’t it more likely she would have been raped by some random guy in the Northern army?

Still though, I enjoyed those scenes more than Robb storming a castle, sleeping with a girl, and then marrying her because he feels bad.

I think I’m also in the minority on the Tyrells on the show. I dislike how they’ve been characterized. The show worked too hard to make them ‘modern’ and likable. Book Loras can be kind but he’s also a bit of an arrogant jerk. Not to mention he straight-up massacred two members of Renly's Kingsguard. For some reason, the show delighted in turning him into a modern caricature of a gay man. He likes fancy clothes! Cause he’s gay! Hilarious!

Embarrassing.

I totally agree.

Despite all of the things I can't stand about the show, though. I thought Olenna Tyrell was adapted perfectly and I love her scenes.

I loved that scene too. I like her character quite a bit.

-Not a fan of the Arya/Tywin scene. Some good dialogue but did not enjoy the creation of Little Orphan Arya and Daddy Tywinbucks at all.

-Did love the scene between Tywin and Joff this past season where Tywin offers to have Joff carried to the small council meetings. I rewatched that scene several times, it had me laughing quite a bit.

- Pretty sure I'm in the minority on this, but I really enjoy Shae's character in the show too.

I like Shae in the show aswell, to be honest.

Just think how ace the Roose/Arya scenes could have been. /sigh.

I like on the show that Davos really only has the one son. In the books, I think he has seven. It makes his loss all the more devastating.

I believe he loses most of them (4) in the Battle of the Blackwater, his three youngest are "safe" on Cape Wrath. It gives him something to keep on trucking for.

As with others, I think that Robb and Talisa is infinitely better and much touching than Robb and Jeyne. Robb and Jeyne was ruined by the poor decision to reveal that some of the Westerlings were conspiring against Robb from the beginning.

This is stupid. It undermined the romantic angle in favour of yet another political twists. There's more to good story-telling than simply having twists all the time. It's the reason that Lyanna and Rhaegar remains such an intriguing tale: wondering how they really felt about each other, the somewhat tempting truth that they were probably in love. Rhaegar, like Robb, lost a kingdom to love.

Robb and Jeyne doesn't turn out like that, though, it simply becomes part of a grand scheme that pays too much credit to the Westerlings and has the Lannisters being uncharacteristically forgiving. Tywin would never pardon helping the North's cause with a potential heir to continue fighting and the Westerlings were a small house. He would have extinguished them easily rather than reward them for apparent loyalty.

On the other hand, Robb and Talisa is nothing more than a tragic love story, and this makes it all the more touching. The decision to have Talisa pregnant but have their child be the first to die was almost too heart-wrenching to bear. The significance of Talisa to Robb is repeatedly emphasised and they are shown to be in love in such a manner that it's actually possible to see why Robb would risk his cause for her. In the books, it feels more like a guilt-trip; Robb took her virginity and was duty-bound to marry her but their affection wasn't as sincere as the books.

Dunno whether this classes as an improvement, but the show has done a good job at making us care about minor characters by giving them monologues here and there that help flesh out their characters(Thoros, Alliser Thorne, Yoren). It makes everything seem more real by suggesting that these side characters are still real people with their own interesting life stories.

Oh, and I demand more Shireen/Davos next season.

I'm going to utter heresy and say that I found Talisa more sympathetic and interesting than Jeyne. Robb's marriage to her was stupid and impulsive, but no more so than Edward IV's to Elizabeth Woodville.

I thought Tyrion's confession before Lysa was even funnier than in the book. I prefer Cersei and Joffrey and Theon and Viserys to their book counterparts.

Other than this, the books are better.

^I actually think most people agree that Talisa is a better character, since Jeyne barely even qualifies as one. It's not her character, it's just the way that her and Robb fell in love in the show was implausible and cliche'd. Talking back to the King, interrupting his convos with Roose fucking Bolton, etc :dunce:

I like the fact that they have aged up all the characters. It makes things more believable for me and certain characters more understandable. It is easy to see grown men being attracted to 18 year old Dany, not a 13 year old girl.

Viserys whilst remained in essence the exact same character, he is fleshed out more and we begin to see the burden he was under from such a young age. Cannot really think of much else.

I liked Arya/Tywin better, but that's because I can't stand Roose (in the show and the books), sue me (or should I say "flay me"?)

I like show!Tywin better as in I find him almost rootable and a complete badass (and Charles Dance is the fucking bomb)

I like Theon and Cersei more in the show, especially the former. I still want the bitchy, fiery Cersei from aFFC, but I'm on board with making her a bit more sympathetic (sometimes I felt GRRM's depiction of her was borderline cartoon evil).

I'm on the fence about Margaery. I don't like the show being so open about her sexuality, but I love them playing the "queen of the smallfolk" angle, and I think Natalie Dormer is great on the role.

Oh, I might've missed it, but I haven't seen anyone pointing a great change (in my opinion): Sam. In the books all he does is complain and whine about being a craven, but in the show he is funny, rootable, and is kind of growing into a true man of the Watch

Besides from some changes in the first season (mostly added conversations), almost every change has been for the worse.

The Tywin/Roose switch up is alright in the first scene or two, until it became absolutely repetitive and went nowhere.

Tywin doesn't know whether she's the daughter of a lord. She could have been highborn like Jeyne Poole, where she was part of a lord's household. No point in wasting time trying to ransom her then. Besides, Tywin had much bigger issues to deal with at the time rather than ransom a seemingly highborn cupbearer.

Like making war plans in front of her? It is pretty damn suspicious. It's not like it would take a lot of resources to send her to KL with a couple of guards. It's standard to ransom family of the nobility. It's absolutely bizarre to keep them in a place where they can learn sensitive information and tell them how they can make their impersonation better.

- Pretty sure I'm in the minority on this, but I really enjoy Shae's character in the show too.

My problem is she is pretty much the exact opposite of book Shae. I like the character more in the show, but ultimately it is further whitewashing of Tyrion. She's not a woman who is clearly in it for herself. She clearly cares for Tyrion as a person (she even suggests they run away together even if they have to be poor). Thus, he betrayal will be much more in the show. Her murder will be an act of righteous justice rather than the act of revenge for humiliating him. It wasn't something he would have done before, but in his mental state, he found himself capable of cold-blooded murder. It was a turning point for his character to take a darker path. Now, I suspect, it will be "giving that bitch what she deserves."

I will be not be shocked if there's a bunch of cheering at her death.

That is why I dislike show Shae.

^I actually think most people agree that Talisa is a better character...

Really? Most people agree? This saddens me to no end... Yes, Jeyne was barely a character in the novels, but that's all she had to be, and she more than served her purpose. On the other hand, "barely character" is way better than a woman whose profession, manners, worldviews, beliefs, lines, posture, history and even wardrobe (a uniform with a medical kit!) are easily the most fantastical elements in a fantasy TV show.

Regarding other changes: too many bad ones; few decent ones; very few enjoyable; but not a single one that was an improvement.

Archived