Coming of Age?

Mathor

I've read all of the books and am in the process of a re-read. What I've found a bit confusing is Joffrey not being allowed to rule until he "comes of age."

I know that this term is used in other times in the series.

It never specifies in the series, that i know of, what the seven view as a suitable time to be "of age" As far as I know, his mother servers as Queen Regent even when he is as old as around 16.

Robb marries at 14, so is he of age or not? Or do his customs derive from some sort of northern playbook of rules? Is any of this even defined anywhere from a canonical source?

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is at the age of 16, because Jon usually, though he was "almost a man grown" when he was 15, and when Robb got to his sixteenth name day, Cat though he was actually a man grown, so the difference is in their sixteenth birthday. About marriages, it seems to me that it doesn't matter: if a 12 years old girl can get married, why not a boy?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In this world, sixteen is usually the age when your considered a full-fledged adult. With women it's a bit different, as when they are able to bear children (which, back then, was the crowning purpose of womanhood) they are also pretty much treated as adults. Of course though, when duty calls--as in, obtaining a lording, a knighthood, a coronation, etc.-- it kinda forces you to grow up no matter how young you are, although you can't claim any 'offical' lands or titles until your sixteenth year. Hope this helped! :wideeyed:

Archived