Wex

Dragonstar

Also, Wex is OBVIOUSLY a partially trained Faceless Man, and is only mute because they temporarily disabled his speech as part of his "work without each of your senses in succession" training but hasn't been able to make his way back to the temple to get it restored. So it's only natural that he'd be able to follow somebody undetected.

:)

Wrong. Wex is a surviving little bird that Varys once used as a spy in KL. He is clearly a plant by Varys to gather information and plot new schemes in the North.

but how would he know about Rickon other than from Wex. Before you can speculate on on weather Wex is lie you have to figure out Manderly could have known Rickon was Alive and on Skaggos. the only way I can think of is Wex was telling the truth

Because Rickon and Osha went to White Harbor first, and it was Manderly who sent them to Skagos to avoid detection from the Freys who were arriving at White Harbor. Or you could, you know, read the GNC threads where this is discussed.

One thing:

I think Wex is legit.

I also think not everything was revealed. Shaggy and Osha would probably pick up Wex, but since he was refugee - just like them - and direwolves are reliable character judges, he would probably be able to convince them he means no harm. Then they travel together until they reach destination.

What would that be? Definitely not White harbor. BUT it might be on Manderly territory. Maester Luwin probably told Osha that Manderly or Glover can be relied upon. Osha finds passage to Skagos, but leaves Wex behind as a messenger.

Alternatively, Osha contacts Manderly or Glover in secrecy and they provide passage - and keep Wex.

I think Wex is legit.

I also think not everything was revealed. Shaggy and Osha would probably pick up Wex, but since he was refugee - just like them - and direwolves are reliable character judges, he would probably be able to convince them he means no harm. Then they travel together until they reach destination.

Especially Shaggy is not known as a good character judge. But I ignore that for the sake of the argument.

I agree, something stinks. If not I'm ok with it but I can smell something. We miss an Rickon/Osha POV for a certain purpose.

From the Ice and Fire wiki entry on Wex

He survived the Sack of Winterfell carried out by Ramsay Snow by climbing the Heart Tree in the godswood
He didn't climb any tree, but the Heart Tree. Maybe there he was offered some protection or extra skill, or just the old gods (or BR?) plain used him as a means to give Manderley the news that would save Rickon? And so that's how he a. managed to follow Rickon et al and b. got to White Harbour and actually paid attention to.

Probably not what happened, but hey, these old gods seem to have lots of power.

Because Rickon and Osha went to White Harbor first, and it was Manderly who sent them to Skagos to avoid detection from the Freys who were arriving at White Harbor. Or you could, you know, read the GNC threads where this is discussed.

I've read it I don't remember that part and that doesn't make sense why would he send them away instead of hiding them no one even knows their alive. He hid Davos from the Frays and even convinced them he killed him. There's a gap in logic and don't say he was worried about his son because he hid Davos with his son still imprisoned

I really hope so. I suspect Manderly to betray Stannis just as he's going to betray Bolton/Frey, and I can't stand Rickon or the idea that he'll be important.

How can you not stand Rickon? He has almost no personality, right? Does he even have dialogue in the books? Was he even included in the TV show?

I think Wex is a Macguffin, a character introduced solely to move the plot forward, and there is nothing deeper to this.

Does that really make him a "MacGuffin" though? He's more of a plot device. The Iron Throne might be a MacGuffin, or the Horn of Joramun. Wex just makes it easier for characters to find out exposition without having to come up with an elaborate explanation of how Manderly can spare agents to keep track of a wildling and a little boy (Rickon is a boy, right?) or why he would do so.

This was discussed in one of the Great Northern Conspiracy threads. The point was made that Wex, an Ironborn, wouldn't have been able to follow Osha, a spearwife, and Shaggydog, a wolf overland from Winterfell undetected. He was probably set up by Manderly to persuade Davos to retrieve Rickon from Skagos without implicating Manderly in getting Rickon there in the first place.

Manderly is one subtle SOB, for sure.

So the idea was that Maester Lewin told Osha to take Rickon to White Harbor and not Skagos, like most of us thought? Interesting.

I really hope so. I suspect Manderly to betray Stannis just as he's going to betray Bolton/Frey, and I can't stand Rickon or the idea that he'll be important.

Dang, you guys are cold! I do suspect that Manderly has no commitment to Stannis, but I think that his loyalty to House Stark is genuine, and that he wants to see a Stark back in Winterfell. The alternate TV version of the Rickon/Osha escape works just fine with the GNC: either Rickon's been safe at Last Hearth the whole time, or the Umber/Manderly duo sent him to his folks at Skagos.

Yes, you are overthinking this. Fans are so rabid about every single word of the books that the significance of every scene is over emphasized. I like the Wex character and the spin he brought to the story. If we all read every author as closely as we read aSoIaF we would find all kinds of holes in stories. Give GRRM a break - Wex is a fun plot twist.

I am reading Maurice Druon's "The Accursed Kings", finished with The Iron King and now reading The She Wolf of France. Waiting for the others to be published later in the year in English. If you are going through GOT craziness it might be worth moving onto a new set of books......

going slightly off-topic, I think a Wex POV would be amazing. I really want to know what goes on in his mind (he seems clever, but he can't speak, sounds really interesting), and also the things we would learn from seeing things from a mute POV..

going slightly off-topic, I think a Wex POV would be amazing. I really want to know what goes on in his mind (he seems clever, but he can't speak, sounds really interesting), and also the things we would learn from seeing things from a mute POV..

A POV in general from the perspective of a deaf, mute or blind(not Arya) character would be cool. But it'd probably get old, unless it was only a one-off chapter.

It would be very interesting to find out what Wex really thought of Theon. I wonder if the Botleys (other than the usurping uncle) aren't all closet Theonites? Tris (admittedly apparently accidentally) planted the idea for Theon being used to call another Kingsmoot; Lord Sawane got himself drowned hopelessly backing Theon's claim...

Archived