Wex

Dragonstar

Rickon may just be in WH. Not saying it is necessarily true, but if so, if this is a premise, what would lord-eat-a-Frey-pie have to gain by sending Davos to skagos? Interesting area for speculation. There are lots of WH ships. Could Davos be sent, with a fleet, to actually be pick up a load of unicorn riding flesh eaters to the mainland?

I think skagos may be much more than it seems, and the cannibalism is more a story to keep people away. It may be an embellishment over time and a myth. There seems to be a fair amount of cannibalism in DWD anyway.

Why in hell would Manderly send Rickon and Osha all the way to Skagos from White harbor just to hide them? Esp when you consider that he hid Davos right in the city with his enemies in the palace. I mean, I just looked at the map of Westeros -- Skagos is practically right next to Eastwatch whereas White Harbor is near Moat Calin and the neck.

Why in hell would Manderly send Rickon and Osha all the way to Skagos from White harbor just to hide them? Esp when you consider that he hid Davos right in the city with his enemies in the palace. I mean, I just looked at the map of Westeros -- Skagos is practically right next to Eastwatch whereas White Harbor is near Moat Calin and the neck.

Davos was for a short time, in a cell. Manderly probably did not want to put his lord into a cell, moreover with the direwolf. People talk and if howling sounded night by night frm somewhere...

And Luwin probably would advise against going directly to WH as well. Too many eyes. Too many mouths. Lannister Maester.

As for Northern Lords and Stannis, call me an idealist, but North remembers - and North will remember that when it needed external help, both at the Wall and at Winterfell, there was one of the IT pretenders who came.

Funny, I hadn't seen this thread and started one of my own that wonders if Osha would really have taken Rickon to Skagos, mostly relying on how many holes there are in the Wex story. You're right, it doesn't add up at all.

For instance, one statement is that Wex 'stayed downwind' of Osha and Rickon to avoid having Shaggydog picking up his scent. That's impossible. When you're following someone, you are behind them all the time. The wind changes directions from day to day.

Even if Wex successfully tracked them to White Harbour, how could he have made inquiries about their destination? He's MUTE! Pretty hard to ask questions under the circumstances. I have to include that if Wex did indeed pick up this information it's because Osha wanted him to - she knew he was following her. If you're being tailed, sending the tail to Skagos is a pretty good way to shake them. Chances are they'll never be heard of again.

Funny, I hadn't seen this thread and started one of my own that wonders if Osha would really have taken Rickon to Skagos, mostly relying on how many holes there are in the Wex story. You're right, it doesn't add up at all.

For instance, one statement is that Wex 'stayed downwind' of Osha and Rickon to avoid having Shaggydog picking up his scent. That's impossible. When you're following someone, you are behind them all the time. The wind changes directions from day to day.

Even if Wex successfully tracked them to White Harbour, how could he have made inquiries about their destination? He's MUTE! Pretty hard to ask questions under the circumstances. I have to include that if Wex did indeed pick up this information it's because Osha wanted him to - she knew he was following her. If you're being tailed, sending the tail to Skagos is a pretty good way to shake them. Chances are they'll never be heard of again.

I also don't get why he drew a face on the tree... Not saying that adds to a conspiracy but why did he do it?

I think we can chalk this up to GRRM. He makes us second guess every character trying to find their "gray" streak. Maybe Wex is just a Wex. I think Manderly is on the up and up, mainly because I'm beginning to think that the more visually appealing a character is described the sneakier they can be, and vice versa.

I'm pretty sure that Osha and Rickon went to WH and Wex was following them.

Manderly is using Wex to manipulate Davos.

Not even remotely a possibility IMnsHO.

It doesn't pass the simplest test of logic - motivation.

Sending someone to Skagos is likely to get them killed - if not by the cannibals, by the terrible weather at sea during that time of year.

Davos is already in Manderley's power, and he needs to execute him, to please the Freys.

So he stages a fake execution that might be found out, then GIVES DAVOS A SHIP (which he might lose along with the crew) to send him to die in another fashion?!?

Why would Manderly do this?

It makes sense imo.

The wolves were probably looking the road ahead, while Wex was always step behind the group, whilst wolves were hunting/snooping the road.

And if the wind turns, Shaggydog should be able to smell the human miles behind them. To follow them Wec would have to keep them in his sight or close to it.

We know that the direwolves hunt almost every night. So shaggy went only hunting ahead of them and never went back during the night,? Not once the hundreds of leagues from WF to Skagos.

If this is actually how it happened, it is on of the least logical events and biggest continuity errors i've noticed so far

edit:

One thing:

I think Wex is legit.

I also think not everything was revealed. Shaggy and Osha would probably pick up Wex, but since he was refugee - just like them - and direwolves are reliable character judges, he would probably be able to convince them he means no harm. Then they travel together until they reach destination.

What would that be? Definitely not White harbor. BUT it might be on Manderly territory. Maester Luwin probably told Osha that Manderly or Glover can be relied upon. Osha finds passage to Skagos, but leaves Wex behind as a messenger.

Alternatively, Osha contacts Manderly or Glover in secrecy and they provide passage - and keep Wex.

Ehm.... Wex was Theons squire and he was with him when they took WF. Both Rickon and Osha KNOW that Wex is Theons squire.

Give me any reason why they would trust him? For all they know he was following them on Theons behalf...

I laughed at "Why is Wex so good at dagger throwing?"

It's to symbolize a weirwood tree, which he hid in while Ramsey sacked Winterfell.

Ohh I thought he drew on the tree. Like running for his life, paused, drew smiey face on tee, climbed up it. I'm certifiable.

Ehm.... Wex was Theons squire and he was with him when they took WF. Both Rickon and Osha KNOW that Wex is Theons squire.

Give me any reason why they would trust him? For all they know he was following them on Theons behalf...

I think Osha would be uniquely appreciative of Wex's position as the suddenly isolated, sole surviving, stranger in a strange land who doesn't know the local customs and especially has trouble communicating.

Plus, there's plenty of context clues that Theon didn't treat Wex with a lot of respect. Or vice versa, for that matter. (Remember how hilarious Wex thought the Asha reveal back on Pyke was?) One between-chapter moment of Theon smacking Wex around or Wex flipping Theon off behind his back would be all Osha would need to see to figure out Wex wasn't necessarily the enemy despite being Ironbron.

Plus, the sack of Winterfell makes it pretty damn obvious Theon isn't the only/biggest problem anymore: hell, for all they (or we, at the time) knew, Theon was dead as well. Somebody burned down Winterfell and whoever it was is their mutual enemy.

As long as Wex didn't make an aggressive move when he revealed himself to them, I could see Osha letting him tag along until they hit a port city: safety in numbers, and if Wex got half a mind to turn on them, Shaggy would have enough Direpuppy Chow for the whole rest of the trip. :)

• 2 years later...

Here are my questions concerning Wex:

1. How was he able to follow them enough to know they were going to Skagos?

2. Why would he follow them to begin with? The Ironborn forces would seem to be in the other direction.

3. What's up with the tongue? Could Euron have already had men in Westeros and is Wex one of them?

4. Manderly believes Wex, but should he?

I do think Rickon is on Skagos regardless of Wex because of the Unicorn dream.

Here are my questions concerning Wex:

1. How was he able to follow them enough to know they were going to Skagos?

2. Why would he follow them to begin with? The Ironborn forces would seem to be in the other direction.

3. What's up with the tongue? Could Euron have already had men in Westeros and is Wex one of them?

4. Manderly believes Wex, but should he?

I do think Rickon is on Skagos regardless of Wex because of the Unicorn dream.

Wex was born mute so probably has nothing to do with Euron.

I would not be surprised if part of his knowledge came from Bran via the Weirnet.

Wex was born mute so probably has nothing to do with Euron.

I would not be surprised if part of his knowledge came from Bran via the Weirnet.

Where does it say he was born mute?

All I see is this...

"He is a mute, but we have been teaching him his letters. He learns quickly." Glover drew a dagger from his belt and gave it to the boy. "Write your name for Lord Seaworth."

Archived