Futurama: The Final Season

Humanderthal

Well, it's happened again. Comedy Central has cancelled Futurama and begins airing the new episodes tonight (June 19th) at 10.

The season premiere is "2-D Blacktop". No idea what it's about.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about Futurama being cancelled. The original run ranks as some of the best tv I've ever seen, and I feel comforatable calling it my favorite show. But they seemed to have lost something with the revival. I had hoped at first that it was simply the difficulty of trying to turn a half hour show into a movie, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Few of the newer episodes can compare with the original run.

Tru

Few of the newer episodes can compare with the original run.

True. But there have been a few absolute gems that stand up there with anything from the original (and The Late Philip J. Fry is one of my top 5 favorite episodes), so the writers still got it sometimes; but they just aren't consistent anymore.

I'll miss the show though (unless it gets brought back yet again).

The Late Phillip J Fry was a classic the second it aired - it was funny, developed the characters in an organic manner, and was a great sci-fi story on its own merits.

I think the absolute low point of the show was their positively anvilicious robot marriage episode. It was both lame and unfunny while baldly breaking show canon ("Kidnapster" and Fry's Lucy Liu-bot) in an attempt to be topical. Piety and comedy just don't work well together.

Season 5 had some pretty great moments as a later series, I adore Bender's Big Score to pieces. ''Wait for me Leela! I'll be there in a thousand years!'' /whilst a really nice cover of 30 Century Man plays in the background/

love love love it.

Yeah, I think it's for the best to cancel it now. Though I did enjoy the latest season, it had to many episodes that just didn't bring the laugh, or were to cringey (yo leela leela being a particular offender), or relied to much on fads (Attack of the Killer App. Though I think the revival had some quality episodes. The Late Phillip Fry, The Prisoner of Benda, Lrrenconcilable Differences, Mobius Dick and the Tip of the Zoidberg are all episodes that I believe are just as good as previous seasons, and could even have been highlights.

Looking forward to Season 7 :)

I thought their first CC season had some excellent episodes, and only a few stinkers (the Katz episode, the DaVinci episode about 7 years after the Code was relevant). But I was very disappointed in the last season, I don't think it had a single great episode. I am alright with it ending now, I am glad it returned if only because it would be a great injustice if Family Guy got to come back while a far superior show died an undignified death.

Glad to see everyone in this thread recognizing "The Late Phillip J. Fry". This was the only truly great post-revival episode, IMO.

Agreed with those posters who feel much more alright with the cancellation this time around. Still love the show, though.

Yeah, we really can't complain.

72 episodes in the original run.

4 DVD movies

and a further 52 episodes.

Futurama got a good second chance, I'm happy to wave goodbye to it now.

Last night's ep.s weren't bad, but they weren't amazing either. There's been some really good episodes in the revival, but there's also been too much mediocrity. The show probably deserves its cancellation all things considered.

• 2 weeks later...

But, WOW that was a terrible episode. They should have done something set in the prison, as soon as they left it went off the rails.

And that rap....it may have been the most painfully unfunny thing this show has ever done. And while that was kind of the point, it wasn't even funny in the ironic way they intended.

Same here, I don't see why people disliked the episode so much.

Not funny.

Dull.

Hinged on a lame conceit.

It seemed lazy and unispired.

It felt like a garbage bin for rejected jokes about Bender's folk aspirations from years past.

In recent seasons there have been times where episodes were not the funniest the show has been, but some episodes still had value because the offered genuinely interesting sci-fi concepts or character beats. This episode was one of the ones where they didn't do anything right. The show has had quite a few mediocre moments in recent seasons, but this was one that was outright bad IMO.

Archived