Would Rhaegar have been a better father to Jon than Ned?

~DarkHorse~

Yeah, just blame everything on Rhaegar. That's so simple and easy that way. Rhaegar was still popular and loved and respected and he is still ten times more interesting and likable than Ned. Yes, Ned is the champion of honor, will he still be so, if R+L=/= J? Even that will be Rhaegar's fault, I bet... I never said it'd be Elia's duty to take in Rhaegar's bastard, I just don't think she would handle it the same way as Catelyn. Yes, Oberyn had four bastards aside from the daughters of Ellaria, that's exactly three more than the supposed bastards of Rhaegar. Besides, Oberyn's daughters were sort of under Ellaria's nose too, so it doesn't make much difference. An acceptable argument would be that Ellaria was no legally married wife of Oberyn, unlike Elia to Rhaegar... alas, it's me who has to bring this up. Whatever.

My original point is still the same: we don't know what kind of father Rhaegar would have been, but Jon is lucky, because Ned was a good father. End of story.

Ob's elder bastard daughters are not a threat to Ellaria's younger bastards as the neither party is in the line of succession and Ellaria is half-Uller and older sand snakes are next to nothing when compared to Ellaria's and her children's lineage (a whore from Oldtown, a noblewoman from Volantis, a septa and a Summer Islander trader)

Jon would be a big threat to Elia's children in the line of succession.

Ned did a good job with Jon - except he hid his birthright from him. Jon had a right to know that. Rhaegar obviously would not have withheld that information.

Does Jon have any birthrights? Unless Rhaegar and Lyanna actually got marry and there is a way to prove it, then Jon is still a bastard. So telling him the true would not have given him any birthright, but instead it would have painted a huge target in the boy's back.

Does Jon have any birthrights? Unless Rhaegar and Lyanna actually got marry and there is a way to prove it, then Jon is still a bastard. So telling him the true would not have given him any birthright, but instead it would have painted a huge target in the boy's back.

No. Rhaegar abandoned his true wife and children to steal someone's betroth . Leaving them in the hands of his mad father.

As several others have brought up, the Targs practiced polygamy and it's likely that Rhaegar and Lyanna married. Elia and her children weren't really in danger of the Mad King IIRC.

As several others have brought up, the Targs practiced polygamy and it's likely that Rhaegar and Lyanna married. Elia and her children weren't really in danger of the Mad King IIRC.

Then once again...

He beat and raped his wife and planned to burn Elia and kids with him.

Archived