Biggest moment of dread for a specific character?

Littlefinger offering to "take care" of Jeyne Poole and her being gone when Sansa returned to her room.

Honestly, I thought this would be one of those things that we'd NEVER see or hear anything about the results of ever again and that that'd be the last we heard of her character. So yes, SUCH a feeling of dread when I read that.

Littlefinger offering to "take care" of Jeyne Poole and her being gone when Sansa returned to her room.

Honestly, I thought this would be one of those things that we'd NEVER see or hear anything about the results of ever again and that that'd be the last we heard of her character. So yes, SUCH a feeling of dread when I read that.

I didn't give much thought to Jeyne at the time. The manner in which LF "took care" of her was ghastly.

When I thought Drogon was being sold and when I thought he might be killed.

Bran/Hodor and the wights.

Arya, when the Hound was too drunk and The Tickler gave Arya a look like she's next.

It hasn't happened yet but I think the seamonster she comes across is Euron and I'm dreading it. Of course for certain things in her final chapter too.

The whole Brienne/Nimble Dick chapter at Crackclaw Point had a continuous feeling of dread to it, and I was worried that Nimble Dick was going to betray Brienne and lead her into an ambush.

Looking back now, the chapters leading up to the RW also have a similar feeling of dread to them, to the point where you kick yourself for not having seen it coming.

But overall, I think the most dread I felt during a certain chapter was during Varamyr's prologue. The chapters beyond the Wall always have this eerie stillness to them that gives me the creeps. And Varamyr's recollection of devouring a family only made me further on edge. Since the prologue characters generally die, this was this never-ceasing threat of something coming for Varamyr in the snow.

In AGOT when I finish a really good chapter, flip the page and it says Sansa or Daenerys,

Haha. Sansa's chapters were brutal early on.

I had a feeling of dread the whole last Jon chapter in ADWD. I just felt like something bad was coming and, of course, it did.

I'll have a lot of moments of dread reading chapters with Roose in it in the next book. Unfortunately, he's likely a dead man walking.

Ned's execution and Jaime's hand certainly spring to mind. But these are obvious choices.

The Rat Cook was chilling. Would have made a good Stephen King story. Too bad the series couldn't milk it for its true value.

However, I'm going to go with ASOIAF's very first chapter, where Ser Waymar Royce is slaughtered by the White Walkers. Impeccable writing suffused with the feeling of dread from an unknowable, pervasive and inescapable mortal threat. It set a perfect backdrop for the entire saga, growing from a single horrific incident into a symbolic representation of humanity's helplessness and ultimate fate.

When Arya was hit in the back of the head with an ax at the red wedding, I had to jump ahead to see if she was still alive.

I think everyone did that...I made sure there was another Arya chapter. It was too much all at once.

Archived