Dany is the Mummer's Dragon

Arya Wargface

At this point in the series, Dany is the closest fit for AAR. I know a lot of people think it WILL be Jon (or Hodor of course), and that certainly could happen. However, right now, Dany is the only one who has awoken stone dragons, as well as being reborn in salt and fire etc. Now I have nothing against Dany being AAR, but I just think GRRM might be foolin us.

There is an interview (sorry I don't have the exact quote) where GRRM states that one thing he never liked about books that he read in his youth is that he could always see what was coming. The good guy wins, the bad guy loses, you know. This is why I believe that Dany, not Aegon (or FAegon if that is your preferred nomenclature) is actually the Mummer's Dragon. Add the fact that Aemon pretty much tells Sam that Dany is AAR (or APWP? can't remember. Side note: I'm going off of those being the same at the moment because it works better for this post). All of this seems too straight-forward IMO.

One (of probably several) things that contradicts this theory is that Quaithe says beware OF the mummer's dragon. Why would she warn Dany about herself? Because she cray cray Targ? I don't know, I just thought it was an interesting theory based upon what I heard from GRRM regarding predictability.

Daenerys is NOT The Mummer's Dragon.

The Mummer's Dragon is Aegon VI Targaryen, the son of Rhaegar and Elia Martell. He supposedly survived the Sack Of King's Landing because he was smuggled out as a babe by Varys and was raised in Volantis under the alias Young Griff by his "father" Griff aka Jon Connington of Griffin's Roost.

The meaning of the title "The Mummer's Dragon" hasn't yet been revealed though. He could be who he really claims to be and is in fact the true heir to the Targaryen dynasty and the Targaryen that Varys (The Mummer) is trying to restore to the Throne, or he is a fake Targaryen.

As of the end of A Dance With Dragons though, Daenerys isn't yet aware of Aegon's existence........ but she soon will be.

The Mummer's Dragon is an actual Mummer's Dragon. When she's crowned Queen of Westeros, and King's Landing is in celebration, she'll accidentally be crushed by a prop dragon that the hired entertainment drops.

No no no. The murmmer's dragon is actually a woman named Tansy. Hoster Tully had an affair with her for many years, hence why he was saying her name just before dying. After saving the world and conquering Westeros with 0 controversy, Dany watches Tansy and her fellow Murmmer's put on a play for her guests at her victory feast in KL. Tansy, holding the murmmer's dragon, is wrongfully accused by Dany for treason because of the portrayed slaying of her children dragons. Dany grabs Tansy's arms and slowly twists around her back until the arm breaks.

Moments before this however, Hodor had met Tansy for the first time. After an intimate moment where Hodor says "Hodor" and Tansy replies "Well, you're not too tall for me Hodor", Tansy begins the show for the queen. Upon seeing her arm break, Hodor goes into a fit of rage and throws Dany on the ground and starts kicking her.

Due to the interference of Dany's husband, Jon Targaryen, Hodor is allowed a trial of 7 combat to prove his innocents, with Jon Targaryen fighting on his side. At one point Hodor's group was 1 knight short, until Hodor faced the crowd and said "Hodor, Hodor. Hodooooor!" at which point Jon joined the trial on Hodor's side.

The resulting trial by combat, which included such famous heroes as Golden Hand the Just (Jaime Lannister), the Steel Stag (Gendry Baratheon), and the Black Wolf (Rickon Stark), was a bloody affair, which culminates with the victory of Hodor, but the tragic death of the Ice Dragon, Jon Targaryen.

No no no. The murmmer's dragon is actually a woman named Tansy. Hoster Tully had an affair with her for many years, hence why he was saying her name just before dying. After saving the world and conquering Westeros with 0 controversy, Dany watches Tansy and her fellow Murmmer's put on a play for her guests at her victory feast in KL. Tansy, holding the murmmer's dragon, is wrongfully accused by Dany for treason because of the portrayed slaying of her children dragons. Dany grabs Tansy's arms and slowly twists around her back until the arm breaks.

Moments before this however, Hodor had met Tansy for the first time. After an intimate moment where Hodor says "Hodor" and Tansy replies "Well, you're not too tall for me Hodor", Tansy begins the show for the queen. Upon seeing her arm break, Hodor goes into a fit of rage and throws Dany on the ground and starts kicking her.

Due to the interference of Dany's husband, Jon Targaryen, Hodor is allowed a trial of 7 combat to prove his innocents, with Jon Targaryen fighting on his side. At one point Hodor's group was 1 knight short, until Hodor faced the crowd and said "Hodor, Hodor. Hodooooor!" at which point Jon joined the trial on Hodor's side.

The resulting trial by combat, which included such famous heroes as Golden Hand the Just (Jaime Lannister), the Steel Stag (Gendry Baratheon), and the Black Wolf (Rickon Stark), was a bloody affair, which culminates with the victory of Hodor, but the tragic death of the Ice Dragon, Jon Targaryen.

Haha, this is well thought out. Maybe you should warn people to read Dunk & Egg first though.

The "Mummer's Dragon" was part of Quaithe's prophecy to Dany. Why would Quaithe prophesize to Dany about the Mummer's Dragon if it turned out to be her? That seems an odd way to present a prophecy. Hence, I don't think Dany is the Mummer's Dragon.

The "Mummer's Dragon" was part of Quaithe's prophecy to Dany. Why would Quaithe prophesize to Dany about the Mummer's Dragon if it turned out to be her? That seems an odd way to present a prophecy. Hence, I don't think Dany is the Mummer's Dragon.

Ya, I brought that up in the OP, and I agree. I just thought it was interesting. Dany as AAR seems out of character for George. But then again, he might be double-tricking us. Making us think it's someone else by presenting her as the obvious choice, but then it actually is her. I'm just rambling now. But yes, I agree.

Maybe Direwolves is right, and Mummer's is meant to be a possessive word (as in, "the Dragon that belongs to/is backed by a Mummer". If Varys is a mummer, and he and Illyrio are allied, and Illyrio is allied with Daenerys Targaryen, that makes Daenerys's "the Dragon that belongs to the Mummer (Varys)". It still doesn't make sense, but that notion could also be used to explain any apparent Targaryen or dragon that is backed by a manipulator / actor / mummer type.

Or hell, maybe Daenerys's just punctuated the sentence wrong, and Quaithe meant, "beware the mummers, Dragon!" as in, avoid cheesy actors.

I would love it if it turned out that Dany was not a Targaryen. It doesn't destroy her plot in any way, but it will force her to completely re-evaluate who she is on the inside. We only have Viserys' word and Dany's own belief on the subject. It is one of the founding bits of 'fact' that we are given as readers, though. I don't know if any of those founding facts have ever been proven to be false, though. Anytime that anything is said by a character and it turns out to be false, we are usually told something directly contradictory by a different character.

Honestly, I would probably roll my eyes if that turned out to be true though. Can you imagine, no one in Westeros knows that Daenerys is a false Targaryen? Not Ser Willem Darry, the man who had been taking care of them for most of their childhoods? Not Robert Baratheon, their sworn enemy who lives in maddening fear that they might return and launch a popular uprising against him? They just grabbed the wrong kids and ran?

You might as well have it be revealed in the next book that Eddard Stark is still alive and the person that was decapitated by Ilyn Payne was only a robot. It's the kind of cheesy plot twist that people write in bad mysteries.

Think I've read this before. At the end though Hodor will probably say something profound about climate change, the need to properly bear proof your food when camping, the dangers of inexperienced hang gliding and the need for a simplified tax code. Or maybe he'll just say Hodor...

Archived