Jalabhar Xho

JonathanTheBold

I was reading about the summer island and thinking about Jalabhar and prospects of the seven kingdoms have a foot hold there in him. Now Robert like the idea of a war there but his advisors said it would be unwise and Robert just kinda lets the guy move in basically. This got me to thinking what would I do if I was Robert and this exiled Summer Island lord came to me like him. I think you have a few options.

1.You say sure I'll send you there with an army but once you have your lands back you will be a vassel of the Iron Throne and owe fealty and tax directly to the crown.

2.Do what Robbert did say yes but push it off

3.Invade and give him back his lands and hope he's grateful some day later.

4. Sell him or his head back to the person who exiled him and tell them of his plan to take back his lands

Or 5 my choice I'd say yes but push it off as Robbert did but send a message to the summer island demanding gold and silver every year I hold on to Jalabhar or I will invade their lands an put him back in power as my vassel.

What would you do?

I would do what Robert did. Did the Iron Throne even have its own navy? He would have to ask Lord Paxter or Lord Balon to lend him theirs. How would he justify the request to them? The Summer Islands isn't a threat to Westeros. It doesn't even sound like a overwhelmingly tempting colony and Westeros does not seem imperialistic (they didn't try to expand after taking Dorne, they haven't tried to take the lands beyond the wall or conquer Slaver's Bay or the Free Cities or anything else). If they did colonize it, it would require an enormous expenditure of energy to communicate with it and control it, especially if there is an insurgency.

Do we even know if Jalabhar Xho had a power base to support him even if Robert did give him swords?

I would do what Robert did. Did the Iron Throne even have its own navy? He would have to ask Lord Paxter or Lord Balon to lend him theirs. How would he justify the request to them? The Summer Islands isn't a threat to Westeros. It doesn't even sound like a overwhelmingly tempting colony and Westeros does not seem imperialistic (they didn't try to expand after taking Dorne, they haven't tried to take the lands beyond the wall or conquer Slaver's Bay or the Free Cities or anything else). If they did colonize it, it would require an enormous expenditure of energy to communicate with it and control it, especially if there is an insurgency.

Do we even know if Jalabhar Xho had a power base to support him even if Robert did give him swords?

Stannis was in control of the Royal Fleet.

The Seven Kingdoms didn't seem to be imperialistic in any way. Robert was basically just looking for an excuse to go to war. The Summer Islands don't seem to bother anybody, so it would be a pointless war.

Trying to invade the Summer Islands would be a disaster for Westeros. The Summer Islanders are the best (and it seems that the only) deep sea seafaring people in the world, they have the fastest sailing vessels and the best archers in the world, they live in an archipielago a thousand miles south-east to Westeros.

The westerosi warships, on the other hand, are mostly galleys that are great for pitched battles, but can't carry much water and food and are only safe enough to use very close to the coast. The rest of their warships are small longships that suck even more than galleys at open seas, and slow and clumsy cogs and carracks.

If King Bob sent an invading fleet he may have lucked it and a sizeable part of the fleet could have reached the Summer Islands, but sooner or later a storm would have destroyed all his galleys.

The Seven Kingdoms didn't seem to be imperialistic in any way. Robert was basically just looking for an excuse to go to war. The Summer Islands don't seem to bother anybody, so it would be a pointless war.

Oh yeah, I forgot that he actually had a navy back then. Still, it would be a senseless waste of resources. I can imagine Jon Arryn putting his foot down if Robert ever got serious about drawing up battle plans.

I would hear the true story behind him, but the chances are I wouldn't send him aid as it would be climate to hot and humid for traditional Westerosi warafre with men and horses dying from exhaustion and dehydration as well as heat stroke. The armor would only make it worse.

Even if they conquer the Summer Islands, who's holding them? Stannis, so Robert keeps one of his best and most loyal commander away from him along with a fair portion of the Royal Fleet? The Ironborn or the Redwynes, thus increasing their influence? Why would all other houses send men to fight for them?

The Seven Kingdoms are too fragmented for such a folly

Archived