Daenerys as a ruler?

melanniemunoz

I think Daenerys would be a horrible ruler.

1. She couldn't handle ruling a city, what about an entire nation/continent?

2. She basically excuses whatever the hell her dragons do, like any mom in the ASOIAF universe would.

3. In the show, she says she won't let innocents die in her war/reign, which is impossible in any war, and she constantly tried to ignore the innocents suffering during many events. (Dothraki pillage of Lhrazenne [i think that's how you spell it], Astaphor with soilders who probably just do their job, etc.)

4. She's constantly dealing with love troubles. Enough said.
  5. She has a lack of knowledge of Westeros.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Hey, welcome to the board. :cheers:

This is one of the most vehemently argued topics I have come across in my short time on this forum. I don't know if you have done a search on Dany as a ruler but there are pages and pages of discussion (some very heated) on this topic.

I'm not much of a Dany fan, but I have to say that she tries hard and has what to Western minds should sound like good ideas. Especially about freeing slaves. Her problem is that she's not much of a judge of character or situations. Exiles Jorah and trusts the Green Grace. Sets up a government in Yunkai (Astapor? I forget) that falls the minute she's not there to oversee it. Very nearly gets co-opted by the slaver elite in Meereen.

If she had a bit better training and was in a situation where the deck wasn't stacked against her the way it was all over Essos she could be a very good ruler. Unfortunately that isn't the case.

1) define "handle"

2) she chained them up after one was accused of killing a child,are you saying she woukd be a better ruler if she had them killed?

3) stopped reading after "in the show"

4) no she isnt

5) fair enough, but keep in mind Westeros is a very different place than it was in the first novel.

One advantage that she will have in Westeros is that her claim to the throne is at least acknowledged even by her foes. They will fight her, of course, but they at least acknowledge that House Targaryen has ruled Westeros in the past. Even in the last Kevan chapter, when they're casting doubt as to the validity of the Aegon who has appeared under Connington's watch, they acknowledge that Daenerys is definitely an actual Targaryen. The fact that she has dragons will strengthen her claim, even if the dragons themselves are no good in a fight.

One disadvantage that she will have in Westeros is that her military will be almost entirely foreign. Remember the bad reaction that Tyrion got when he brought the mountain men of the Vale to King's Landing? They were treated as if they were wildlings or wights pouring over the Wall, even though the clansmen were at least from the Seven Kingdoms and were fighting for their sovereign (Joff). Can you imagine how much more virulent the anti-immigrant hysteria would get when Daenerys shows up with an army of Dothraki raiders, Unsullied slaves (most folk won't know that they are free), and soldiers/mercenaries from Slaver's Bay and the Free Cities.

If she had a bit better training and was in a situation where the deck wasn't stacked against her the way it was all over Essos she could be a very good ruler. Unfortunately that isn't the case.

This.

Westeros is shaping up to be the most uninviting place for dragons ever - human or not.

Aegon will soil the Targ-reputation by being linked to the grey plague or just generally for being a pretender and bringing more war.

Dany has no real incomes or gold resources so it is unlikely the Iron Bank would be very fond of her.

Greyscale can seriously threaten dragons, as well as the cold, which is just starting now and let's not forget the Others and of course the Faith Militant that would reject her/her people.

That being said, she had a chance in Mereen and she should have used it. She had a huge advantage there and she failed. And Mereen isn't even half the cesspit that KL is, so if she intends to rule Westeros she must step up her game. One step would be to educate herself.

She basically excuses whatever the hell her dragons do, like any mom in the ASOIAF universe would.

What? No she didn't, she locked two of them in a dungeon because one was SUSPECTED of eating a child, and the only reason the third one wasn't too is because they couldn't catch him.

Umm, like what? All we've seen is that he's skilled at killing inexperienced slave soldeirs and sellswords...

he is excellent at banging Dragon women, so who better than to control Dany's dragons? he is great at killing people, so the commonfolk would fear him, which would keep them in line. he is good at boasting, so he would get along great with the High Lords...

:agree: Thread won.

The whole meeren thing just ruined it for me, every chapter was her thinking of her sellsword, making laughable decisions, and saying two annoying phrases, if I look back I am lost and words are wind.

The whole meeren thing just ruined it for me, every chapter was her thinking of her sellsword, making laughable decisions, and saying two annoying phrases, if I look back I am lost and words are wind.

Not to mention her ever expanding list of titles...

Archived