Stannis and Renly

In Stannis`s eyes, Renly was a traitor, and a thief, and we know how Stannis deals with them. But, it also took a lot of Stannis. I think that no matter how difficult it was for Stannis, he needed to do that.

Did someone say...FLAME WAR??

Don't think it can count as a military move. Assasination isn't really a military action, particularly when using a demon vag-monster, though I guess it depends on your interpretation of military action. It was undeniably kinslaying though.

But, as we all know, Stannis just can't wait to be king! Bring on the next warcrime!

Officially Stannis didn't know what was going to happen to Renly, and we as readers I don't think can say any different with absolute certainty. Melisandre told Stannis Renly was going to die, and he believed her so he attacked Storm's End to draw him to him. And whaddya know, Renly dies. If Stannis was aware that he made a shadowbaby with Mel to kill Renly, it's kinslaying, but it was a legitimate move either way. Playing dirty in war is not against the rules. You do the most with what you have.

By all the laws of Westeros, Renly was a traitor. He committed treason and the penalty for treason is death. Stannis was perfectly within his rights as king to have his brother, a rebel lord, killed.

I side with Stannis here. People would call him a kinslayer if they knew the truth just like they called Bloodraven and Maekor kinslayers, but Renly was clearly in the wrong. People say that Stannis does not bend, but he bent very far for Renly. Offered to let him retain all his titles and make him his heir. The use of most likely dark magic is the only sticking point.

By all the laws of Westeros, Renly was a traitor. He committed treason and the penalty for treason is death. Stannis was perfectly within his rights as king to have his brother, a rebel lord, killed.

Yeah, but by all the laws of Westeros, Stannis is a traitor, for not supporting the Targaryens.

I side with Stannis here. People would call him a kinslayer if they knew the truth just like they called Bloodraven and Maekor kinslayers, but Renly was clearly in the wrong. People say that Stannis does not bend, but he bent very far for Renly. Offered to let him retain all his titles and make him his heir. The use of most likely dark magic is the only sticking point.

Agreed. Mr apparently unbendy Stannis was perfectly willing to forgive Renly for everything he'd done up to that point and somehow Stannis haters seem to overlook that. Bloodraven saved the Targaryen dynasty by kinslaying and he was made to suffer for it.

Yeah, but by all the laws of Westeros, Stannis is a traitor, for not supporting the Targaryens.

Right of conquest. The Targaryens had been overthrown by Robert and the Baratheons were recognized as the legitimate monarchs of Westeros. Renly was attempting to usurp the rightful Baratheon king, Stannis, but he was killed. ;) You could say that Joff won the throne by right of... ah... incest, I suppose.

Archived