Is Bran the Prince that was Promised?

Good afternoon Ladies and Sers.

I am posting a theory of mine so it can be debunked or improved upon.

My theory is based on Bran being “the prince that was promised” / Azor Ahai.

He hits a lot of the main signs of the coming:

• He is a male child.
  • If Robb was considered the King in the North, then Bran was a prince.
  • He is one of the few character that is considered to have been “reborn”.
  • Bleeding star – this hits pretty much everyone.

This is when my theory starts to get a little whacky.

Old Nan is an interesting character, as far as I am aware no one is quite sure who she is, and she is extraordinarily old. I theorize that Old Nan is in fact Shiera Seastar, a Targaryen / Noble Valaryian bastard “was reputed to share her mother's skill in the dark arts.”

Her mother Lady Serenei of Lys “practiced dark arts to retain her youth and beauty” and also note “The rumors that she used dark magic to maintain her beauty also followed her daughter.” Ok Old Nan isn't a beauty anymore but these dark arts could certainly be used to increase her lifespan. I am unable to find anything detailing her later life / death. Her mother also died during childbirth, a common theme among certain characters but it doesn't figure into my theory.

She would be considered the “Salt” part of my theory due to her name “Seastar”.

Bloodraven is strongly suggested to be the three eyed crow, which we know is an important part of Bran's rebirth. He wore the colours “Blood and Smoke” and had a dragon on his sigil.

Bloodraven would be the “Smoke” part of my theory, due to his Smoke colours and dragon imagery.

He an Shiera were lovers and Bloodraven was sent to the wall, Shiera may have followed him North and posed as “Old Nan”.

Bran was then reborn amidst the dreams of the three eyed crow, and Old Nan sat beside him in the bedchamber (Salt and Smoke).

If Shiera and Bloodraven used magic / dark magic to give birth to a new Bran he could be considered to have “the blood of the dragon”, another sign of the coming of the “prince that was promised”.

Bran is also called “the winged wolf”, which would fit in with him being some kind of Targaryen in a Stark body.

The dark eye – I'm not sure on this, Bloodravens third eye could be “the dark eye”.

AA's weapon is also called “Lightbringer”, when Bran is reborn he immediately names his direwolf “Summer”, I think summer could be considered a bringer of light, and warging is certainly Bran's weapon at this point.

Does anybody knows how long Bran's coma lasted? It would be intersting if it lasted 30, 50 or 100 days.

Thanks for reading.

I absolutely think he is, everyone says it is Jon or Dany because of the Woods witch friend of Jenny of Oldstones prophecy (Aerys II and his sister bride's decendent). We have seen GRRM show us time after time that prophecies can be mis'interpreted. i think that is the case.i think the Starks have some Targ blood in them possibly but Bran to me is the real deal. Supernatural powers. Dany with the Dragons was a once in a lifetime, out of grief one trick pony.

According to the woods witch. It wasn't part of the original prophecy if I am correct.

if you equalize AAR prophecy and PTWP one. But still, that woods witch also had some powers and she probably knew what she`s talking about. Also, there are a lot of elements missing. Bran wasn`t the Prince at the time when he was both born and reborn... It doesn`t fit for me

As for timeline, Bran was pushed on 9th June and woke up on 27th August, according to the timeline I have.

Everyone (who is/was a prince) can be...

It's a prophecy and many characters will fit but just one can be.

By the way I wrote this in another topic, saying that prophecies can be stretched to fit in everyone.

Prophecies can be fit in everyone... some believe that The prince who was promised is the AAR... let me try with Bran.

Look at it I get from the Wiki

1) He is the prince in the North... king by right but he was never crowned. When he fled of Winterfell he was the prince.

2) Who knows the Bran's ascendants? It's know that the Great Houses have marriages between them all the time... maybe a Targaryen princess with no brother to wed married any Stark or Tully... or even Whent they were rich as hell and their seat was Harrenhal and Bran grandmother was one. Or even being tutered by Bloodraven who was a ligitimized Aegon IV bastard... the weirwood past was suspicious with that red veins.

3 and 4) This can be anything... he "died/reborn" when the Greyjoy attacked WF, they are from ocean (salt) and let WF in fire (smoke). If this was the only thing... hell, everyone could be that prince 'cause this is very simple.

5) The Red Comet... I don't remember well but I think that the comet was in the sky at the time of his flee.

6) Yes baby, the dragon is back... Brynden, Daeny's dragons....

7) He have a third eye... who knows what collor is it?1) He is the prince in the North... king by right but he was never crowned. When he fled of Winterfell he was the prince.

2) Who knows who are Bran's ascendants? It's known that the Great Houses have marriages between them all the time... maybe a Targaryen princess, with no brother to marry, married one Stark or Tully... or even Whent they were rich as hell and their seat was Harrenhal and Bran grandmother was one. Being tutered by Bloodraven who was a ligitimized Aegon IV bastard is also a point... the weirwood past was suspicious with that red veins.

3 and 4) This can be anything... he "died/reborned" when the Greyjoy attacked WF. Greyjoy came from ocean (salt) and let WF in fire (smoke). If this was the only thing... hell, everyone could be that prince 'cause this sign is very simple.

5) The Red Comet.. I don't remember well but I think that the comet was in the sky before the Theon arrive (the comet is a sign so its completely plausible the PtwP becoming after the sign).

6) Yes baby, the dragons are back... Brynden, Daeny's dragons....

7) He have a third eye... who knows what color is it?

And AAR

This didn't happened (not as something I remember) but when you think about Bran's POVs which are full with magics, prophecies and future-telling.... I won't be surprised.

See? It can fit in everyone (who is/was prince/princess). He can exist or not. I'm not saying that Bran is the AAR (ok, it would be cool a crippled kid swinging a burning sword... or one body he possess, don't forget he is a powerful warg that can control human bodies. However, body stealing would be a great flaw to a perfect hero.) I'm just saying that must be someone there who will wield the sword of life against the deads (a body can be the sword of life?).

And if you ask me: "Do you think in anyone?" I would answear: "No, nobody at time. It can be anyone but it can be nobody. Patience, my young speculator."

Just a draft... sketch... it but isn't complete useless to your theory.

OP: That is a really original way to tie together the salt and smoke, I haven't seen that before. I also really like Summer as Lightbringer. :)

Personally I see a lot of similarities between Bran and the Last Hero story that Nan tells (he sets out with companions to find CotF and get answers on how to end the Long Night, companions all die, etc, etc), and many believe the Last Hero was Azor Ahai. I just can't argue with any certainty that any individual fits the prophecies at this point, or that PwtP and AAR are the same.

GRRM has said not to take the prophecies too literally and that he likes to play with readers' expectations, so it seems to be all very purposefully ambiguous just to keep us guessing. But inventive theories (that make some sense) are fun to consider!

:cheers:

<snip>

As for timeline, Bran was pushed on 9th June and woke up on 27th August, according to the timeline I have.

Where did you get the timeline? That is so interesting!

OP: That is a really original way to tie together the salt and smoke, I haven't seen that before. I also really like Summer as Lightbringer. :)

Personally I see a lot of similarities between Bran and the Last Hero story that Nan tells (he sets out with companions to find CotF and get answers on how to end the Long Night, companions all die, etc, etc), and many believe the Last Hero was Azor Ahai. I just can't argue with any certainty that any individual fits the prophecies at this point, or that PwtP and AAR are the same.

GRRM has said not to take the prophecies too literally and that he likes to play with readers' expectations, so it seems to be all very purposefully ambiguous just to keep us guessing. But inventive theories (that make some sense) are fun to consider!

It is from an excel file that was posted not all that long ago. I don;t have a link but it is called ASOIAF Timeline - Vandal Proof.

ETA: found it

Aemon linked PTWP to AAR. We have read eight elements required to fulfill the prophecies:

He or she will be born 1) of the line of Aerys II & Rhaella.

He or she will be 2) born or reborn under a 3) red bleeding star with 4) cold winds blowing amidst 5) smoke and 6) salt to 7) wake a dragon.

He or she will 8) draw a burning sword from a fire that will be called Lightbringer.

Bran was "reborn" after sack of WF while the red comet was still in the sky. He then headed toward the cold wind beyond the Wall. The sack of WF in the wake of the Iron Islanders' capture of WF provided the smoke and the salt (isn't that how herring is prepared?) and Summer observed a dragon or at least the shape of one. But the sword Bran drew from the fire was unremarkable, no? And Bran was not born of the line of Rhaella & Aerys.

That Aerys & Rhaella element limits the field to Dany, Jon (assuming R+L=J), and Aegon (assuming he's who JonCon thinks he is).

But hey, who says we can't speculate?

if you equalize AAR prophecy and PTWP one. But still, that woods witch also had some powers and she probably knew what she`s talking about. Also, there are a lot of elements missing. Bran wasn`t the Prince at the time when he was both born and reborn... It doesn`t fit for me

Well.. days? I don't even knew they use our month's names... (due to seasons lenght...)

Bran and Last Hero... How I never though about it.

Last Hero and Azor Ahai, maybe match.

I think that Bran and the Last Hero have a lot in common (except being crippled, but Bran can use other body... or be magically healed, but I don't think it will happen )

Aemon linked PTWP to AAR. We have read eight elements required to fulfill the prophecies:

He or she will be born 1) of the line of Aerys II & Rhaella.

He or she will be 2) born or reborn under a 3) red bleeding star with 4) cold winds blowing amidst 5) smoke and 6) salt to 7) wake a dragon.

He or she will 8) draw a burning sword from a fire that will be called Lightbringer.

Bran was "reborn" after sack of WF while the red comet was still in the sky. He then headed toward the cold wind beyond the Wall. The sack of WF in the wake of the Iron Islanders' capture of WF provided the smoke and the salt (isn't that how herring is prepared?) and Summer observed a dragon or at least the shape of one. But the sword Bran drew from the fire was unremarkable, no? And Bran was not born of the line of Rhaella & Aerys.

That Aerys & Rhaella element limits the field to Dany, Jon (assuming R+L=J), and Aegon (assuming he's who JonCon thinks he is).

But hey, who says we can't speculate?

It was not an original part of the prophecy.

Bran also is a much more powerful greenseer and warg than BR shows be.

Well.. days? I don't even knew they use our month's names... (due to seasons lenght...)

It is irrelevant really, the timeline was established by textual markers... ie, this happened a fortnight after this etc... And it really seems to me that LH, tPtwP and AA are 3 versions of the same story

Good afternoon Ladies and Sers.

I am posting a theory of mine so it can be debunked or improved upon.

My theory is based on Bran being “the prince that was promised” / Azor Ahai.

That's a big assumption right here. Are they the same prophecy? Or are they different? Could be either. TPTWP seems almost like a private Targaryen family heirloom. That's how Egg, and Aemon, talk about it. Aemon also assumed that TPTWP needed to have "dragon blood" in them (that's why Mel had bet on Stannis - because of Rhaelle).

It is irrelevant really, the timeline was established by textual markers... ie, this happened a fortnight after this etc... And it really seems to me that LH, tPtwP and AA are 3 versions of the same story

If LH and PtwP are the same... so this mean that PtwP can be a North....

That's a big assumption right here. Are they the same prophecy? Or are they different? Could be either. TPTWP seems almost like a private Targaryen family heirloom. That's how Egg, and Aemon, talk about it. Aemon also assumed that TPTWP needed to have "dragon blood" in them (that's why Mel had bet on Stannis - because of Rhaelle).

What means "have dragon blood"? Be descendant of the Targaryens? It won't be unrealistic if that great houses shares blood one with others at some point... this happened a lot in our world nobility. The dragon blood can be acquired through life? Bran's tutor, BR, is a descendant of the Targaryens.

Archived