at first...but now..

Dany Girl

This thread is dedicated to the characters that have completely been changed in our view between AGOT and ADWD.

I'll start witu Sansa. I stated out disliking her. From how mean she was yo7 Arya (I'm a little sister, so the little sister always gets my vote) by calling her "horsey face" and teasing her for not being a proper lady. Then on the trip to KL she lies about Nymeria and ends up getting Lady killed (jury is out on whether her lie really effected this as Joffery is a little shit). Then in KL she runs to Cersie with her father's plans to send her home (yes, Cersie had Ned in her cross hairs, but I believe Sansa helped speed up the time table on her strike). After her father's death she comes off as weak and just follows whomever says they'll help her. We see this with Qot, and Ser Danyos. After the PW she runs off with Ser Danyos and gets on a boat to god knows where. She could have ended up in an even worse position as a sex slave or something. Instead she ends up with LF, who even she can see is using her. Still she goes along and is now ready to meet the Harry the Heir that she's never even seen because LF says so.

First time reading I though she was just weak. Didn't stand up for herself, and let everyone and their mom use her.

Now upon reread and reflection, I find her to be one of the most mental strong people. She has taken a lot of abuse, and all without having any way to defend herself. I wanted her to fight like Arya would have, but they would have killed her or at the least locked her up like Jeyne Poole. She would have been in a position that she couldn't escape then.

Leaving with Ser Danyos was still incredibly dangerous, but even if she had been taken across the narrow seas, she would have had a better chance to run away than in the Red Keep. And hopefully she is playing LF just as much as he is playing her.

Who else has completely changed through the books to you?

I'll start witu Sansa. I stated out disliking her. From how mean she was yo7 Arya (I'm a little sister, so the little sister always gets my vote) by calling her "horsey face" and teasing her for not being a proper lady.

Nitpick. It is Sansa's friend Jeyne that calls Arya horseface. However Sansa does have her "mean girl" moments when it comes to Arya. But the rest, yeah.

Nitpick. It is Sansa's friend Jeyne that calls Arya horseface. However Sansa does have her "mean girl" moments when it comes to Arya. But the rest, yeah.

don't they both? I though Sansa started it and Jeyne just goes along with it because she thinks it's funny and wants to be on Sansa's good side?

I never hold any of Sansa's teasing antics against her. Arya was probably just as bad and could be mean and cruel to Sansa too. They are totally different but are still sisters. Even in the real world sisters have these dynamics were they don't like each other. I mean in the first episode of Game of Thrones we see Sansa minding her own business and Arya throwing food at her. That is not cool.

To be honest... Dany. A first I was a whole-hearted Dany supporter. Now I just can't wait for her to die.

I'm kind of in the same boat there, though I'm not hoping for her to die, but to turn crazy evil.

Question though to people who started liking Dany to later not liking her so much... Do you think it is mostly because of her story arc not moving along as expected? I mean, I think we all read GoT thinking, "Oh yea, by the end of next book she'll be raining dragon fire down all over Westeros!" only to find her in almost the same position in ADwD and I think that is a big part of it.

My view of Dany has gotten increasingly negative. I wouldn't say I hate her, but she stresses my patience frequently and I certainly don't support her anymore. On rereads she isn't as bad.

I've come to love Cersei. She has flaws like no other, but boy is she a fun read.

Sansa has gone from meh to awesome to read.

Arya has gone from awesome to read to meh.

She is one of my favorites. Cersei is the best thing that happened since Maleficent. I hope she gets one happy moment before the valonqar puts an end to her wickedness.

her POVs are hilarious

her thoughts of her herself and everyone else are amusing as hell

I want more of her

I second that. I thought "freeing slaves, hell yes!"

What a fool I was...

But I don't think you were! That's the whole point to Dany's story. How many times have we heard of an injustice done somewhere to someone and thought if only I had some power and/or authority. I would fix that right away! But it isn't as easy as it sounds. Even in America, when slavery came to an end, economies suffered greatly.

You weren't a fool!

I'm kind of in the same boat there, though I'm not hoping for her to die, but to turn crazy evil.

Question though to people who started liking Dany to later not liking her so much... Do you think it is mostly because of her story arc not moving along as expected? I mean, I think we all read GoT thinking, "Oh yea, by the end of next book she'll be raining dragon fire down all over Westeros!" only to find her in almost the same position in ADwD and I think that is a big part of it.

I think that's a big part of the fairly new Dany hate. I still love her and I didn't hate her time in Meereen. I think she has learned a lot of important lessons as a ruler who has never had the advantage of having someone to emulate. Yes, she has advisors now but they don't substitute for someone growing up with a strong role model like Robb had Ned.

Davos. At first he was a simple man who was uncomfortable in his new role and was willing to defer to those he saw as being above him socially. But over time his confidence grew to the point that he was able to call a nobleman a barefaced liar to his face.

That is character progression.

Davos. At first he was a simple man who was uncomfortable in his new role and was willing to defer to those he saw as being above him socially. But over time his confidence grew to the point that he was able to call a nobleman a barefaced liar to his face.

That is character progression.

personally I never didn't like him. Always thought he was the best part of Stannis's story arc. But he has grown some brass balls.

I think that's a big part of the fairly new Dany hate. I still love her and I didn't hate her time in Meereen. I think she has learned a lot of important lessons as a ruler who has never had the advantage of having someone to emulate. Yes, she has advisors now but they don't substitute for someone growing up with a strong role model like Robb had Ned.

Yes, I suppose I should take into account the fact that a 13-year old girl with only Viserys as a role model was sold as a sex slave to Drogo. She's come a long way.

I think her stagnated story line has EVERYTHING to do with the Dany hate-on that seems to have permeated the forums.

Can't wait to see how show-viewers react, especially since D&D are making her much more of a likable hero than GRRM...

Archived