Tyrek - where is he? What happened to him?

manting

Is he a throw-away character? By that I mean is he like Benjen in that he has little or no importance and is there as a magicians hand, meaning he is there to distract us, the readers from more important events and characters?

I think he is dead but I am curious about the thoughts of others on this subject.

Well he's part of the Lannister succession line, and is thus a valuable pawn in the game. Jaime's pondering that Varys had a hand in Tyrek's disappearance might not be wide of the mark.

Could there be another possiblity other than Varys or death? I recall the Jamie commentary in AFFC and he discusses how Varys didnt go to with everyone else to the docks and how he could have known the mob was liely to riot and how, in the confusion, he could have Tyrek grabbed. His value (Tyreks) is placed on his being a squire to Robert and any info he may have rather than the Lannister line of succession

I disagree that Benjen has little importance in the story and is a throwaway character. I believe he will reappear and do something important yet.

And I think it is entirely possible that Varys has Tyrek.

Varys swiped him, delivered him to Illyrio Mopatis, where he was "deprogrammed" and brainwashed into believing that he was someone named "Young Griff" aka (f)Aegon.....

Just kidding. I have no idea where he is, but it would make sense that Varys had something to do with his disappearance. I do think that like Benjen, we are not done with him, and that he will be making a reappearance at some point in the story.

Archived